Musk: "All Our Patent Are Belong To You"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TickTock

Tesla gives away all patents to the public to spur EV development.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/all-our-patent-are-belong-you

[Edit: fixed quote and added reference]

Aybabtu.png

AYBABTU

RegGuheert said:
I think his post would have more impact if he had not entitled it "All Our Patent Are Belong To You".
It's a play on an old video game from the 80's I think. The "Engrish" translation was atrocious and became a meme: All your base are belong to us is perhaps a Musk fave from his teenage video game producing years.
I thought it was pretty funny and I'll bet a lot of Silicon Valley guys his age geeked out over it.

I think adapting to the SuperCharger network would be a good start.

They already build so many of the them, so the partial infrastructure is there, if everybody knows what to do with the superchargers and how to use them. Would help other EV users greatly.

-ThinkMac-

TickTock said:
Tesla gives away all patents to the public to spur EV development.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/all-our-patent-are-belong-you

What a Joke! Like Tesla has some key technology which is a barrier to entry keeping
major vehicle OEMs from producing a 200 mile BEV or a competitor to the MS.
When market economics support a 200 mile BEV, they will produce it.

Many may believe this though:

Right, all potential BEV OEMs are not going to produce in the near future a BEV
with a range > than 100 miles and are waiting because:

1. There's a collusion between the OEMs to not produce until after the Tesla "E" is viable.
2. All battery suppliers have a energy capacity limit on purchases to all BEV OEMs except Tesla.
They hope to be part of Tesla's Giga battery partnership along with Panasonic.
3. The US federal government has limited all BEV OEMs to a max battery capacity because of military
needs, except Tesla because it was the 1st to have a range greater than 200 miles. And additionally
because the military is in development with Tesla for BEV type of military tank.
4. There's presently a very short supply of key battery elements, e.g. lithium, cobalt, & graphite,
and just Panasonic owns its raw materials suppliers.
5. All BEV OEM's upper managements are heavily invested in Tesla stock.
6. All BEV OEM's engineering departments lack the key BEV knowledge & patents that Tesla has.
They're still trying to reverse-engineer the Tesla MS without much luck, e.g. the AC induction
motor and its drive electronics.
7. Panasonic entered into non-compete agreements with other battery suppliers to limit
their battery production to US OEMs so Panasonic & Tesla can be the first with high volume
$35K 200 mile BEV.
8. Solar City has committed to buy all of the battery suppliers capacity, except Panasonic,
for the next 3-4 years for its energy storage plans.
9. All OEM BEV strategic marketing managers, except Tesla's, fail to understand the 'real' BEV
market potential.
10. The oil companies are heavily invested in the all the US OEM auto manufacturers, except
Tesla, are all on their board of directors, and are fearful of a volume BEV with a range of
200 miles.

sparky said:
RegGuheert said:
I think his post would have more impact if he had not entitled it "All Our Patent Are Belong To You".
It's a play on an old video game from the 80's I think. The "Engrish" translation was atrocious and became a meme: All your base are belong to us is perhaps a Musk fave from his teenage video game producing years.
I thought it was pretty funny and I'll bet a lot of Silicon Valley guys his age geeked out over it.
+1 I sure did... :lol: :lol: :lol:

RegGuheert said:
I loved the reference, but wonder about its effect(-iveness). I also would have loved to hear the debate over whether to use it or not.

And "finally", a nit-picky error to point out, but the blog title and reference have a singular noun after "All Our...". i.e., it should be Patent, not Patents, in the subject line here. Let's get the gibberish right! LOL

sparky said:
I'm not his age or from Silicon Valley, nor have I ever played a video game. But I got the joke since I'm familiar with that famous broken English phrase. In reading comments on the Tesla forum, however, it was apparent that some people didn't get it and were put off by it.

sparky said:
RegGuheert said:
Thanks! I was not familiar with this reference and I've been using computers since about 1980. For others that are not familiar with it, here is the Wikipedia article for AYBABTU. From the article:
Wikipedia said:
The text comes from the opening cutscene of the 1991 European Sega Mega Drive version of the video game Zero Wing[1] by Toaplan, which was poorly translated from the original Japanese version.
Since it was a European game, it seems like he may have played it as a kid.
mbender said:
I loved the reference, but wonder about its effect(-iveness). I also would have loved to hear the debate over whether to use it or not.
If I didn't know the reference, I wonder what percentage of the population will not. :shrug: In any case, it doesn't have the same impact for those of us who don't know the reference.

I would not regard that press release as evidence of licence-of-right.

The law is clear in most jurisdictions - you must have been granted permission to exercise the patent, and that press release doesn't appear to be the grant of a licence in the form required.

Could be just a wheeze, then, to get VMs to fall into a false sense of security, use the patents, then SUE THEIR ASS!! :twisted:

Per one of the comments above, it is very flawed to offer free LOR because no-one will then want to invest in the development and improvement of those patents. Patents are enablers rather than simply blockages. Musk/The press release should have said that free rolling licences of X-years would be granted. It makes no sense to grant indefinite free LOR to everyone, excepting that by publishing a patent application the patentable material contained therein are no longer patentable by anyone else, but to accomplish that you do not have to take an application through to patent grant, it is sufficient to simply file it and have it published.

Given the apparently atrocious way Tesla have treated Ecotricity in the UK, ignoring the NDA and proceeding with condeming Ecotricity as being unreasonable, anything could be possible here. Don't forget Musk was happy to jack up the price of the roadsters AFTER people had put down deposits. Nice.

I like Musk and I think he is trying to do the right things, but sometimes try as you might to do the right things, other stuff comes along that causes you to become a pariah as you try desperately to hold on to those naive values.

kubel said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
If you were a OEM, what patented Tesla technology would you now employ?

Supercharger. All other standards be damned.

A can't think of one patent they could have that would impede any car maker in any way. There is nothing in a supercharger that could not be made differently without violating a patent. It's all another nonsense but brilliant marketing ploy. Tesla started its drive system based on AC propulsion which actually had some unique features, probable the most proprietary thing they ever had and it was licensed to them and then evolved to what they have now. Regardless anyone that thinks he is giving anything up also would believe Toyota needed help from Tesla with the RAV4 EV project, what a joke. Brilliant marketing at its best, nothing more. In reality he could have got more out of this stunt but I think it was more of a personal thing for him.

His patents can now be freely used by BYD and other Chinese manufacturers (not that they care about things like patents - but will be useful if & when they try to sell their cars in the west). No OEM will use his patents because what he is "offering" is patent sharing agreement. I'm sure all big OEMs have a larger patent pool than Tesla.

BTW, does this include battery patents ? That might be something.

mbender said:
RegGuheert said:

And "finally", a nit-picky error to point out, but the blog title and reference have a singular noun after "All Our...". i.e., it should be Patent, not Patents, in the subject line here. Let's get the gibberish right! LOL

Move Zig. For great justice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qItugh-fFgg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mbender said:
RegGuheert said:

Fixed! (and added treehugger's reference for the non-Geekzers) :)

Back