Mwalsh and LEAF invade LAX

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I had range anxiety, and the indoor parking had 240v outlets, I would just leave a couple hours earlier than usual.

Get to the garage, find a spot, and plug in the 240v modified EVSE.

Then go check your bags, get the boarding passes, etc.
Check out the restaurant....

Depending on the length of the security line, jog back to the garage about 45 min before takeoff, unplug, then jog back straight to the security line and I'm gone.... You'd probably have 2.5 hours of charge, for a net 25 mile range boost.

BTW, which type of 240v socket is at the LAX charge stations?

occ said:
BTW thanks for the report mwalsh. Very helpful because I'm planning to fly out in Aug, but I'm 48 miles from LAX. If I take the LEAF (IFF I get mine in July, that is), I would need to keep it plugged in, so I would have to use the other lot. However, I'm afraid that it would be occupied (only two J plugs there, I think).

Another option would be to stop at South Coast Plaza for an hr to get my 12 miles back (from my house to the mall) on the charger, then hope to make an 80 miles round trip from the mall to LAX (if the charge space is taken at LAX). Do you think 80 miles so doable on 100% charge if I keep the speed to 60mph?

This is one very specific scenario where I wish the LEAF had 100 miles EPA.

Maybe you have a friend or a spouse who would be in the area a day or two before you return and could stop by and plug you in.

AmarilloLeaf said:
If I had range anxiety, and the indoor parking had 240v outlets, I would just leave a couple hours earlier than usual.

Good plan, and something I also considered....get to the airport early, plug in at a Charge Point unit in Lot 1, go check in and drop bags. Then, after a while, go unplug from the Charge Point and then move the car to Lot 6 for covered protection.

AmarilloLeaf said:
Get to the garage, find a spot, and plug in the 240v modified EVSE.

BTW, which type of 240v socket is at the LAX charge stations?

None. There are no 240v sockets. In fact there are no sockets of any type in Lot 6...all the units are hard wired EVSES (all old school conductive/inductive as well). So it's either a L2 J1172 hard wired EVSE or 120v trickle. And even those, there are only 2 of each currently, all at Lot 1.

rawhog said:
At Sacramento Airport the parking lot operator has trucks with twin digital video cameras pointing out both ways behind the cab. There is a computer insdie a truck tool box. What they do is drive up and down the lanes in the lots and garage. The camera records license plate numbers and space numbers and time and date stamps them. That's how they know who parked where and for how long. If they have that at little Sacramento International I would think LAX has that or better tech.

Plus, LAPD's favorite way to make money is to go up and down the rows looking for cars without front license plates and ticketing them.. so they are definitely patroling and looking over vehicles.

LAX media relations harold johnson says you can park anywhere in those two structures.
I put the issue as: The two j 1772s are in use, since I cant charge, can I park inside.
He said yes, as long as it is in 5,6 or 1. He includes 5, because, he said, 5 and 6 were reconfigured with a flyover link and you can enter 6 from 5 without exiting.

He said the cashiers just check whether you are an EV on exit.

He acknowledged that P6 is all OLD chargers.
I did not ask him when they would be replaced or augmented.

So, you can risk it if you wish. Not sure what I will do when I fly tomorrow.

Just got back. Free parking for four days right at the Southwest terminal.

Park anywhere in those lots listed on the website and above.
It works. They ck out your car and take your info. Dont get behind an EV at the pay stations. It is a slow process. They act like each car is a novelty. Called my car "a Lima."

As far as being hip on the latest technology; they dont have that either -- as noted above.
There are a flock of out-of-date EV stations at LAX. I could only find two J1772s. Both were in use going and coming.

mwalsh said:
BudRaymond said:
Why not just put a small luggage padlock on the J plug? Then someone would have to break it to take it, and I do not believe that is at all likely.

This is what I have done. I have two Master combo locks, model 630D, which do the trick nicely - one for the hole in the J1772 trigger and one for the body of the portable EVSE.

31nk%2BmZfHML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

A three dial lock? Only 1000 combinations there - you can go through them all in only a couple of minutes. A little pressure on the shackle usually gives one of the numbers up right away - then you're down to only 100 combos to try - which only takes seconds to crack.

LakeLeaf said:
A three dial lock? Only 1000 combinations there - you can go through them all in only a couple of minutes. A little pressure on the shackle usually gives one of the numbers up right away - then you're down to only 100 combos to try - which only takes seconds to crack.

Thats lame, I would suggest the 18 wheels NSA-Dial-A-Brain-Hemorraghe, yes a bit pricey but have you seen what the 120V EVSA costs?

I would keep the EVSA locked under the hood of the car, and feed out an extension to plug it in and the handle.

Even better would be an adapter box under the hood with a relay and some custom electronics to safely bypass the front 1792 socket in the front of the car.. with an autoranging 120v-240v selector and manual Amps setting.. yes in use this would replace an EVSE, just plug a standard extension on it. Have it default to 120V and 12A for the common owner, but adjustable for the savvy one.

LakeLeaf said:

Locks are there to keep honest people honest. If someone really wants your J1772 cord, one or two swift kicks to the handle will break the socket at the charging port and one yank pulls it all free. The damage would be great, but someone who wants it won't care....locked or not.

Criminals of opportunity, however, will see the lock and move on.

LakeLeaf said:
A three dial lock? Only 1000 combinations there...
Several years back I bought an 8-pack of identically keyed Master padlocks. Whenever the need arises, I pull one out of the drawer with no worries about keeping track of the key, because I only need one, it's been on my key ring for a long time, and if I do lose it (happened once), I have 7 (now 6) more copies at home.

Electric4Me said:
This thread prompted me to look into parting at Oakland Airport as I'm headed there next month. Coulomb just installed a bunch of chargers there that are "free":

Unfortunately, they are only available in the "Premier" lot which is $36/day!

Yes, I am heading there soon as well.

I found an alternative:

http://www.expressoparking.com/freejuice/

So I'm researching ways to use my LEAF (if I ever get it) to get to LAX (I'm 49 miles away) for a trip. Obviously I cannot make it (and back) without charging. LAX has A LOT of EV charging spots, but only two with the J1772 charger (Chargepoint network). I was afraid that if I get there and there would be no spot for me to charge, I would not have enough juice to get back home. Luckily (maybe) each of the Chargepoint station actually have two ports, one for level II with the J1772, and the other level 1 120V outlet, for a total of 4 actual places I can plug in! Great, the odds are better now.

BUT, what if the actual spots are taken, so I wouldn't be able to park close enough to use a 120V extension cord either!

So I have two questions for those close enough to LAX and would like to do a public service to help out a future EVer:

1. Are there parking spots around the two Chargepoint chargers (lot 1) such that one would get a better chance for a spot close enough to use a 120V extension cord (in case all the spots are taken?

2. Are there any regular 120V output at lot 6 next to the EV parking spots?

Thanks.

mwalsh said:
occ said:
2. Are there any regular 120V output at lot 6 next to the EV parking spots?

No there aren't. Are there any anyplace else in that structure....not sure. Would be happy to go check sometime though. ;)

If it's not out of your way mwalsh, it will be most appreciated!

Also, interesting thought (after reading the Oakland EV parking thread):

There is a whole lot of parking services around LAX (was researching for the cheapest the last time we flew out of LAX for long duration). What if we can call up some of these services and ask about allowing for spots next to 120V outlet, as a special request for EVs? I would imagine that is not at all hard for these private parking garages, and for long term (over a day) you only need the level I anyways. Of course, the "free parking" perks would be negated, but at least we can use the LEAF for those too far from LAX.

the two j1772 are next to each other, so there is no adjacent spot in between, and the first one is next to NO spot, so there is no help there. as a result there is only one potential adjacent spot. that is the downside.
the upside is that they face a low wall and on the other side are spots that are often empty 'cause it is as far from the terminal as you can get on the first floor of this structure.

so the reality is that while you CAN tell whether and if the four total L1 or L2 are open from the Charge Point analytics at their website (google it)--at least when you leave home or check your iphone (if there is an app for it), you would have no way of knowing whether the wall-neighboring spots are open for you to park in and run a cord to them.

sorry that I can't be more help.

Back