My options if I lose a 3rd capacity bar this year

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garygid said:
Better to try to inform Nissan first, before helping GM kill the EV Revolution by trying to make a big stink in the news.
Not sure why you are ripping on GM. Look how Nissan is treating you folks compared to how GM has treated Volt owners and problems that have come up. Night and day difference. This is all on Nissan ... it it pitiful how you guys are being treated considering the enthusiasm that this whole forum/group has shown for Nissan/LEAF. Nissan may be shooting themselves and *EVs in general when/if this makes the main press.

The 2nd major thing will be when future customers buy the leased vehicles and the original owners disregarded how they treated the battery. Hopefully the battery are refurbished otherwise there will be no used sales a few years down the road.

Perhaps if someone is tired of reading about battery capacity loss, they could stop clicking on the threads that are about battery capacity loss? just sayin'

hill said:
adric22 said:
While I feel for those with the capacity loss, I must also mention that I'm getting really tired of hearing about it. Is there nothing else we can talk about on this forum?
How many times will you allow early CAPACITY LOSS to be mentioned . . . . and - do you have a rule of thumb for each CAPATICTY LOSS individual victim? . . . or - do you count CAPACITY LOSS in its entirity . . . meaning (for example) once a certain early CAPACITY LOSS subject matter threshold is complained about by the whole community - then future early CAPACITY LOSS victims are hosed - because since you're getting really tired of hearing about it ... and I'm certain (if I may be so bold to speak for the MNL community) we really really need to know how to meet your needs ... because Leaf owner's early CAPACITY LOSS is after all ... all about you, right?
;)

i think the bigger question is "what is ACCEPTABLE or EXPECTED capacity loss?" because now we have people reporting 5% loss which is ok but should be in its own thread.

I think 15% or the first capacity bar is acceptable for two years or 24k miles, perhaps as long as 36k and years but that might not be reasonable.. any less than that means batteries have to become REAL cheap to replace. A battery leasing program becomes more palatable and a quick battery swap system avoids those $2k-$4k labor bills at the dealership otherwise.

adric22 said:
While I feel for those with the capacity loss, I must also mention that I'm getting really tired of hearing about it. Is there nothing else we can talk about on this forum?
Yes, you may talk about anything that you like here (although some threads would go in Off Topic, of course). I'm tired of hearing about the Greek crisis, more droughts and floods, worsening arctic ice melt, the corruption of our political system by Citizens United, the lousy economic situation, the tar sands, etc. However, I suspect those will continue to be hot topics in the news media, just as I suspect that rapid battery capacity loss will continue to be a headline here at MNL.

garygid said:
With no apparent loss the first 12 months, my GID values for 100% and 80%
charges began to drop, and are now down about 5%, 220 instead of 232 for
an 80% charge.
My mileage is only about 7700 miles, and a very mild climate.
My LEAF is garaged, and spends very little time parked outdoors.

Sadly, I have not yet had the energy to contact Nissan about the
situation, and I suspect that there are many others like myself.
I'm not sure what you expected. Five percent a year for the first couple of years seems right. I don't think any of the folks in AZ would be complaining if they were down by 5%. Their problem is that they're down 15% or 25%.

As for why people are not contacting Nissan, until the capacity bar disappears the whole capacity loss issue isn't real for them.

Not sure why you think GM would be killing EVs. Maybe EVs without thermal managements systems but not EVs. In fact it's probably doing all EVs a favor by showing how the heat issue can be overcome. I'm hoping you're not suggesting that GM put a TMS in the Volt as part of a plot to destroy the Leaf. That's more than a stretch.

SanDust said:
garygid said:
an 80% charge.

I'm not sure what you expected. Five percent a year for the first couple of years seems right. I don't think any of the folks in AZ would be complaining if they were down by 5%. Their problem is that they're down 15% or 25%.

As for why people are not contacting Nissan, until the capacity bar disappears the whole capacity loss issue isn't real for them.

Not sure why you think GM would be killing EVs. Maybe EVs without thermal managements systems but not EVs. In fact it's probably doing all EVs a favor by showing how the heat issue can be overcome. I'm hoping you're not suggesting that GM put a TMS in the Volt as part of a plot to destroy the Leaf. That's more than a stretch.

waaay back while still waiting for delivery i speculated that i would see 5-7% loss in the first year then about 2% a year after that. i still expect that and am currently at a loss to explain my situation.

garygid said:
Better to try to inform Nissan first, before helping GM kill the EV Revolution
by trying to make a big stink in the news.

At about the 12 month mark, I experienced "Sudden Onset of Capacity Loss".

an 80% charge.

Did this Onset occur shortly after the required annual battery check?
I don't remember, but I do not recall being aware of any capacity
issues when I took my car in for that checkup.

I still have the original firmware, with no "reserve" tank, and no
other updates that I am aware of.

I have no GID meter but mine seemed to act the same after the battery check.
Are you sure you did not get a firmware update? Mine was updated without asking.

DaveinOlyWA said:
waaay back while still waiting for delivery i speculated that i would see 5-7% loss in the first year then about 2% a year after that. i still expect that and am currently at a loss to explain my situation.
In your case it may be more about cycles than about heat.

Back