MY12 Leaf : SV $35,200, SL $37,250 - $369 Lease

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
davewill said:
LEAFer said:
mossyleaf said:
That's why when my next 2011 comes in I will trade in my current Leaf, collect my equity from my current lease and apply it to the next lease thus lowering my payment. And so on...
What ? Please explain how that works to your advantage ... :?
He's collecting the $7500 incentive on each car.
I have doubts there will be any equity in the one year old LEAF lease traded in.

tivoboy said:
I can't believe the pricing went up so much. When I was first looking a few months ago, I could have sworn that for the SL we were looking at about 33,000$ NOT including any of the federal or state discount amounts. Now, it seems the price has been jacked up (due I am sure to some costs but also demand), so IMHO the pricing/benefit starts to degrade fairly significantly.
Although I agree the price increase sucks, have you looked at how weak the US dollar is compared to the yen now? See http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=1+us+dollar+in+yen+from+january+1%2C+2008+to+today.

From http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-07-26/toyota-panasonic-export-based-profits-limited-by-abnormal-yen-strength.html that came from Jul 27, 2010:
The yen has averaged 90.92 against the dollar in 2010, putting it on course for its strongest year against the U.S. dollar since currencies began trading freely in 1971, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. The yen traded at 87.20 at 4:54 p.m. Tokyo time.
Every yen gain against the dollar reduces annual operating profit at Toyota, the world’s biggest carmaker, by 30 billion yen ($344 million) and 16 billion yen at Honda Motor Co., according to the companies. Both companies are basing their full-year earnings forecast on a rate of 90 yen per dollar.
Right now $1 US == 76.54 yen.

From http://www.cnbc.com/id/44012878/Nissan_Motor_to_Halve_Exports_From_Japan_by_2016:
For each 1 yen gain versus the dollar, the company's operating profit is hurt by 20 billion yen ($260.1 million)

Thanks for the response.

Trust me, I've seen the move (trade currencies often) but companies rarely implement radical pricing changes based on what are short term effects like YEN repatriation (after the earthquake) and currency crosses. They usually set a price yes slightly above on a annual basis, and often for a vehicle manufacturer will keep pricing steady while INCREASING offerings/built in items to enhance value. Of course with a vehicle high in demand, in can be more market based.

The value goes both ways though, as the YEN strengthens, all the steel that is purchased abroad becomes cheaper. All the shipping charges become cheaper, as they are denominated in dollars., etc.

I'll agree to a point, but this rise up seems to be more "market will bear" and demand won't fall off founded.

tivoboy said:
Thanks for the response.

Trust me, I've seen the move (trade currencies often) but companies rarely implement radical pricing changes based on what are short term effects like YEN repatriation (after the earthquake) and currency crosses. They usually set a price yes slightly above on a annual basis, and often for a vehicle manufacturer will keep pricing steady while INCREASING offerings/built in items to enhance value. Of course with a vehicle high in demand, in can be more market based.

The value goes both ways though, as the YEN strengthens, all the steel that is purchased abroad becomes cheaper. All the shipping charges become cheaper, as they are denominated in dollars., etc.

I'll agree to a point, but this rise up seems to be more "market will bear" and demand won't fall off founded.
I'm not so sure that changes were made in response to short term effects on the yen. I'd imagine prices, profit/loss projections, equipment level decisions, how much content to put in, cost targets, etc. on the Leaf were set long ago (not sure when) and w/certain projections made on the dollar/yen exchange rate. Google for nissan 2010 yen dollar exchange rate, for example. In the beginning of 1/2010, $1 = ~92 yen. Now that only gets you ~76 yen. It was hovering around the low 80s until recently...

As for steel, apparently, prices have recently gone up. See http://www.marketwatch.com/story/nippon-steel-to-raise-nissan-steel-prices-by-15-2011-06-27 and http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/08/04/toyota-nippon-idUKL3E7J33TD20110804.

As for "They usually set a price yes slightly above on a annual basis, and often for a vehicle manufacturer will keep pricing steady while INCREASING offerings/built in items to enhance value...", how many made in Japan cars has the latter happened on recently? The 3rd gen Prius went thru at least 2 prices increases since it shipped in May 2009. Toyota ended up not offering the very stripped down Prius model I (One) to consumers, only fleets. Honda, on the other hand had to add some more features to the Insight since it's been a sales disaster.

The 2012 Honda Civic has been the subject of a lot of negative reviews and negative comments about its interior. I wouldn't be surprised if Honda was forced to cut costs with this generation due to the exchange rate.

Although the Volt isn't made in Japan, but from http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1061435_2012-chevy-volt-price-cut-pay-less-but-get-a-lot-less:
But the bottom line is still grim: To get the same package of features as on the base 2011 Chevrolet Volt, which cost $41,000, the buyer of a 2012 Volt model will have to pony up $43,083.

When Nissan was in trouble (before Ghosn saved them), they were decontenting cars. I think an example given is to compare interiors of Altimas from the early model years to the ones made around 1998 or 1999, when Nissan nearly went bankrupt.

the increasing price of EVERYTHING (Leaf included) is creating a pinch for many potential Leaf Buyers. but cant discount the reduced cost of driving either. for me, its not that much.

1) we dont drive much. my commute is 49 miles a week. i work 4 days. one way is 6.1 miles. She works the typical 9-5 5 days a week. RT mileage is 62 miles.

we drive less than 25,000 miles between the two of us yearly. last year included a 4,000 mile driving vacation so that bumped us to just over 26,000 miles.

right now, the basic cost electricity verses gas is 5 cents per mile in favor of the Leaf. i will be taking the Prius to dealer for oil change (not an easy DIY since there are several covers that needs to be removed to do the job effectively) but that is an "un recorded expense" that will run about $70.

ya, thats expensive, but that is the price of rice in this state. its not the oil that is expensive, its the standard disposal fee charged which is around $4 a quart. maybe $3...either way, if its to be "tossed" it will cost me.

but currently i have 7600 miles so that is a savings of $380 over 7 months or we say $35 a month. but this is over a Prius (i averaged over 55 mpg driving the Prius) of which i had a lot of experience driving.

most here will save much more than double that due to a less efficient car and higher driving needs. but then again, we already knew that and if you are doing solar, then there ya go!

but if you REALLY want to complain (especially here in the Northwest) lets talk about the price of coffee!!. now that is something that has really gone up!

i try to make it as cheap as possible so Costco is the place, i get whole beans, grind them fresh every morning and i am set. problem with that is the cheapest option i have i nearly $6 a lb!! that is more than $2 higher than last year. now i usually get the San Francisco Organic which is running $6.60 a lb or the Guatemalan Blend (the latter is much darker) but lately the special "made for Costco by Starbucks" blend is the cheapest (last year they were the most expensive) so guessing i am still drinking last years futures prices and that will soon jump up as well.

but anyway, back to topic; when the Leaf pricing was announced for 2011, i had mixed emotions. ya, it was high, but after incentives, i thought (and still do!) I was getting a great deal for being an early adopter.

now, not trying to stir up the Nissan distribution discussion again, but I think the 2012 pricing is much more along what I had expected for 201 and most of the incentives are still going to be there. WA State has no limit and runs till 2014. the fed credit should be 100% thru probably the end of 2012 and maybe beyond (hope it isnt. really hoping Nissan ups the delivery timetable...)

but all in all, the 2012 Leaf will still be cheaper after incentives than my 2010 Prius (which was discounted due to a special program for Prius Enthusiasts) was.

Interesting, from his website:

"4. As the housing of the electronics is never touched, we don't have to reseal the unit. Unlike the "EVSEupgrade"."

and "If a yellow warning light comes on in the LEAF's display, press the "START" button again to turn the system OFF and then press the brake and "START" as you usually do. The warning light will disappear. This light shows that you used a different method to connect to the line power than the original EVSE adapter."

For those who qualify, Pentagon Federal Credit Union has a good no-haggle price on the Leaf through their buying service:

Options:
SL Trim Level
[C03] 50 STATE EMISSIONS (50S)
LIGHT GREY, CLOTH SEAT TRIM (K-1)
[B92] SPLASH GUARDS (SGD)
[L92] FLOOR MAT/CARGO MAT SET (FLO)

Pricing for Your Requested Vehicle (includes shipping):

INVOICE MSRP PenFedPRICE
Base $36,718 $38,100 $36,468
Options $241 $310 $241
TOTAL $36,959 $38,410 $36,709
Savings off MSRP: $1,701

And for reference, for the Volt:

Options:
AUDIO SYSTEM FEATURE, BOSE PREMIUM SPEAKER SYSTEM WITH 7 SPEAKERS INCLUDING SUB-WOOFER, ENERGY EFFICIENT SERIES SOUND SYSTEM (UQA)
FRONT AND REAR PARK ASSIST, ULTRASONIC (UD5)
PREMIUM TRIM PACKAGE (PCQ)
REAR CAMERA AND PARK ASSIST PACKAGE (PCW)
REARVIEW VISION CAMERA (UVC)
SEATS, HEATED DRIVER AND FRONT PASSENGER (KA1)
STEERING WHEEL, LEATHER-WRAPPED (N30)
ELECTRIC DRIVE, VOLTEC (MKA)
ENGINE, RANGE EXTENDER, 1.4L INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE (LUU)
EMISSIONS, FEDERAL REQUIREMENTS (FE9)
WHEELS, 17" (43.2 CM) 5-SPOKE FORGED PAINTED ALUMINUM (RSB)
JET BLACK SEATS/CERAMIC WHITE ACCENTS, PREMIUM CLOTH SEAT TRIM (AFA)
SEATS, FRONT BUCKET WITH RECLINING SEATBACKS AND ADJUSTABLE HEAD RESTRAINTS (A51)
AUDIO SYSTEM, COLOR TOUCH AM/FM STEREO WITH CD PLAYER AND MP3 PLAYBACK (UFU)

Pricing for Your Requested Vehicle (includes shipping):

INVOICE MSRP PenFedPRICE
Base $39,212 $39,995 $38,911
Options 2,327 $2,585 $2,327
TOTAL $41,539 $42,580 $41,238
Savings off MSRP: $1,342

slaran said:
Interesting, from his website:

"4. As the housing of the electronics is never touched, we don't have to reseal the unit. Unlike the "EVSEupgrade"."

and "If a yellow warning light comes on in the LEAF's display, press the "START" button again to turn the system OFF and then press the brake and "START" as you usually do. The warning light will disappear. This light shows that you used a different method to connect to the line power than the original EVSE adapter."
Was the above supposed to be a reply to another thread?

So the price difference between an SL and a stripped Volt is $2450.. the $2000 for the L3 port on the SL really hurts. The Californai tax rebate on the 2012 Volt will help.

I think the stripped Volt does not have Nav, but I dont care about that.

No, no rebates are factored in to their quotes.

Herm said:
So the price difference between an SL and a stripped Volt is $2450.. the $2000 for the L3 port on the SL really hurts. Did they include the California tax rebate on the Volt quote?

Herm said:
So the price difference between an SL and a stripped Volt is $2450.. the $2000 for the L3 port on the SL really hurts. The Californai tax rebate on the 2012 Volt will help.

I think the stripped Volt does not have Nav, but I dont care about that.

The stripped Volt does have Navigation. As I have a base Volt I know first hand. :mrgreen: The base Volt is DEFINATELY where it is at if that is what you are looking at.. For me it was pay $39,995 and forgo the heated seats, OR pay $7,000 more for heated seats.. For $39,995 I have navigation through OnStar (free), and a backup camera (supposed to be $695 but the dealer included it free). OnStar navigation is cool too cause you can either a.) press the OnStar button, and tell them where you want to go and they do the leg work for you + send it to your car b.) use your smart phone to push the address to your car through the OnStar RemoteLink app c.) Use Google Maps from your home computer to send directions to your car.

I did test drive a 2011 Leaf SL yesterday though, and having the navigation available in car was nice. It did take me a minute to figure out how to use it though as it was not very intuitive at first. The OnStar nav is awesome, but it does take a minute sometimes for the directions to be pushed to your car if you call them while you are driving.

http://www.onstar.com/web/portal/navigationexplore?tab=1&seo=goo_|_2008_OnStar_UpFront_|_OnStar_Directions_|_Directions_|_onstar_directions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The stripped 2013 volt does not have NAV. I test drove one yesterday. Is is an option though, but that would hardly qualify as stripped then. The NAV has been stripped.

Back