MyCarma CanBus reader for multiple EVs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So did this end up being a scam or what? :roll: I mean by all accounts and that wonderful YT video.. " built from day one as a EV data logger" & "in use in our Fleet rate solution across the USA, Africa and Europe" :lol: :roll: WTF??

And then see posts like..
Exciting news! Over the past two weeks, we’ve been shipping units to a group of local backers that have Android phones and were willing to do some early testing.
:? Should have been early beta (or alpha testing) all those boards last year in your UT video with the Android app you show on it :roll:

I didn't personally put $$$'s in on it (see it as a sham) but know a few other locals that did and wondering what the heck is going on. Another local Volt owner was asking as well as the L2 station the other day.. I was like.. "Ohhhh yeah.. that thing with all the cool graphics and wiz-bang stuff on the YT video" :lol:

According the latest shipped tracking status, I should receive my myEV for Android by next Monday for my 2012 Chevy Volt. :mrgreen:

I have my mtEV from Carma on a beta program.

They have made some decent improvements to the app, the Bluetooth connectivity is not great and they are working to resolve those issues. They have incorporated some feedback from the beta users already.

Once the Bluetooth issues are resolved I believe it will be ready for general release.

JP

I'm glad to hear that you guys are getting or have gotten some beta boards for testing. Sad to see such a nicely done video and production (and make it seem like it's in use already) and then in reality probably just a PoC device. I hope it works out!

I just haven't seen any action on this since last year so was wondering when I was talking to a Volt and a cMAX plugin owner at a L2 hangout not to long ago.

Keep up informed! ;)

It is not uncommon for most crowd funded products like this to fall way behind schedule to finally start full production. I will post a review this week.

I finally received the long awaited myEV "logger" (OBD-II plug-in device) this week, but haven't tried it out yet. I ordered an Android unit with BT. Unfortunately, as much as I'd like to, I can not try it out yet. This is because there is no "myEV" app to download from the Google Play Store yet. According to the myCarma website, the myEV apps (both Android and iOS versions) are "coming soon". So then the question becomes, why ship logger units to paying customers without anyway to use it??? I sent an inquiry to this Canadian company, but have yet to receive a reply. Stay tuned . . . :roll:

dsinned said:
I finally received the long awaited myEV "logger" (OBD-II plug-in device) this week, but haven't tried it out yet. I ordered an Android unit with BT. Unfortunately, as much as I'd like to, I can not try it out yet. This is because there is no "myEV" app to download from the Google Play Store yet. According to the myCarma website, the myEV apps (both Android and iOS versions) are "coming soon". So then the question becomes, why ship logger units to paying customers without anyway to use it??? I sent an inquiry to this Canadian company, but have yet to receive a reply. Stay tuned . . . :roll:

Contact Carma. There is a special link to install the app for the first time. It updates automatically thereafter.

I already sent an email request earlier this week, but did not receive a reply yet. There is a toll free phone number on the Logger device itself. If I call that number, will I be able to talk to someone at Carma who knows about the myEV app special Android downloading procedure? Btw, I am certainly disappointed that this would even have to be necessary at this point. :roll:

I have not recieved mine yet. I hope it will be as good as the two products I use now.

I use the great SpyPro plus with a smart phone on our 2013 LEAF and it is great.

I also have a SCAN GAUGE from linear logic in Tempe AZ on my FORD Focus EV and it also gives great info.

I finally got my myEV logger and installed it last Friday night, so I can participate in the "BETA" testing. There are about 20 of us doing beta testing and feeding back bug reports and enhancement requests. As was stated above, the most persistent problem has been with BT connectivity, which I unfortunately experienced myself. That seems to be more of a nuisance at this point, and should not be an issue by time of final product release. Also, at this point I believe only Android mobile devices are supported; iOS support will come next. I am using the myEV logger and app in my Chevy Volt, but I think the majority of other beta testers are using it with their Nissan Leafs.

Just wanted to share that this is the real deal, and not some other POS product. The app interface is pretty slick, but needs a few bug fixes. They are actively working on the hardware and software side, so it's just a matter of time before it does what they advertised. A life dashboard would also be nice, but not required.

I really hope for some 2 way functionality (controlling charging & HVAC would be nice), but that's just wishful thinking.

I was listening to Transport Evolved on the way into to work this morning. Matt Stevens of Carma was on the show and said that they have now shipped units to 25% of the original Indegogo investors.

If the logger unit ID label is any indication of how many shipped (sequentially) when I received mine about one week ago, the serial number on mine is M001xxC.

dsinned said:
If the logger unit ID label is any indication of how many shipped sequentially when I received mine about one week ago, the number is in the hundreds (M001xxC).

I have one of the first units. It is Serial #50. Not sure what number they started at with customer units.

JasonA said:
So did this end up being a scam or what? :roll: I mean by all accounts and that wonderful YT video.. " built from day one as a EV data logger" & "in use in our Fleet rate solution across the USA, Africa and Europe" :lol: :roll: WTF??

And then see posts like..
Exciting news! Over the past two weeks, we’ve been shipping units to a group of local backers that have Android phones and were willing to do some early testing.
:? Should have been early beta (or alpha testing) all those boards last year in your UT video with the Android app you show on it :roll:

I didn't personally put $$$'s in on it (see it as a sham) but know a few other locals that did and wondering what the heck is going on. Another local Volt owner was asking as well as the L2 station the other day.. I was like.. "Ohhhh yeah.. that thing with all the cool graphics and wiz-bang stuff on the YT video" :lol:

---

Sad to see such a nicely done video and production (and make it seem like it's in use already) and then in reality probably just a PoC device. I hope it works out!

Nope, not a scam :) We've already begun shipping to some of our Android backers (who opted in to receiving the Android version), and are getting close to releasing the iOS version as well.

We have been doing EV logging for fleets for years, but any time you build a new product, there are new variables that get introduced. As an example, our fleet-grade loggers use a cellular connection as opposed to Bluetooth. With this being our first Bluetooth product, our biggest challenges have come from getting things like reliable connectivity, quick transfer speeds, approved by Apple etc.

Also, the graphics from the Youtube video were our mockups for the app, and have been fully integrated. They weren't just smoke and mirrors :)

dsinned said:
I already sent an email request earlier this week, but did not receive a reply yet. There is a toll free phone number on the Logger device itself. If I call that number, will I be able to talk to someone at Carma who knows about the myEV app special Android downloading procedure? Btw, I am certainly disappointed that this would even have to be necessary at this point. :roll:

You can call the number any time (during business hours) and ask for me or Matt. As mentioned in the email I sent out, we're still finishing beta testing, so there are a couple things that we need to work around (ie. releasing the app publicly on the Play store).

My apologies for not getting back to you sooner. There's usually a lot going on at once, so we try our best to get back as quick as we can.

lion said:
Just wanted to share that this is the real deal, and not some other POS product. The app interface is pretty slick, but needs a few bug fixes. They are actively working on the hardware and software side, so it's just a matter of time before it does what they advertised. A life dashboard would also be nice, but not required.

I really hope for some 2 way functionality (controlling charging & HVAC would be nice), but that's just wishful thinking.

Thanks for the support! We really appreciate your patience and understanding that it's not easy to build a killer product overnight. We have some cool ideas (many thanks to you and some of the other beta-testers) for myEV that will get implemented over time though, so we're really excited for what the future holds.

dsinned said:
If the logger unit ID label is any indication of how many shipped (sequentially) when I received mine about one week ago, the serial number on mine is M001xxC.

The logger ID actually represents what # backer you are. I don't know how long we'll be able to keep it up, but if you're M0050C for example, then you were supporter #50 :)

co2112 said:
Is anyone still using this? I can't seem to find information on purchasing a logger.

Hey! So we've put a hold on the project for the time being. Right now our focus is primarily on fleet applications and working with utilities. It's possible that we'll continue myEV in the future, but it's not on the roadmap for right now.

That being said, we have been working on a couple of projects where the device would ultimately become available to consumers through an organization, as part of a larger program (if that makes sense).

You may hear more in the coming months.

Thanks!

Back