NASCAR.... is Eco-friendly?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw this ad during the last race, and saw that they were heavily promoting themselves as "green". It's great that they are taking steps to be more eco-friendly, but they have a LONG way to go.

Some things that they are doing, like using solar to provide power for one of their tracks, are things that I'm surprised haven't been adopted yet in other stadiums. If nothing else, it's one more thing the stadiums can brand and sell to a sponsor to offset some of their initial costs. Adding solar panels to some of these recent monstrosities would be a drop in the bucket for their budgets, and makes sense in probably all major sporting markets.

Another positive outcome here is that this will expose an audience of people that typically have heard only negative things about alternative energy to some of the benefits of things like solar power or recycling.

NASCAR is no less green than the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL or NCAA-anything. The fuel burned in the motorsports activity is a drop in the bucket compared to what is used to bring all the fans, participants, and workforce to any of these events.

The interesting is the solar that they mention wasn't NASCAR corporation sponsored but rather track owner. That's the solar they have at the Pocono track which was bought and built by the track owner. The panels over the course of the year cover the electricity used by the track at the two NASCAR Cup events.

Given all the waste that happens at sporting events you have to give them credit for trying.

LTLFTcomposite said:
NASCAR is no less green than the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL or NCAA-anything. The fuel burned in the motorsports activity is a drop in the bucket compared to what is used to bring all the fans, participants, and workforce to any of these events.
The main problem with NASCAR is glorifying the burning of fossil fuels. The other sporting events don't do that (although the ads that play during NFL games often do that with their truck ads).

I guess you don't watch much motorsports (cars, boats, airplanes, etc.)... :lol:

Stoaty said:
The main problem with NASCAR is glorifying the burning of fossil fuels. The other sporting events don't do that (although the ads that play during NFL games often do that with their truck ads).

NASCAR's public relations office is converting most of its records and press guides into computer files to save paper. NASCAR’s goal is to be the largest green initiative in all of sports. So we are proud to expand our commitment to NASCAR Green.

Never was much interested in NASCAR, but. Now I have someone to root for.
http://www.carbonfreegirl.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back