Navigation map update ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sending destinations to my LEAF via Carwings from Google maps on my PC works just dandy, but I can't seem to find a similar process using maps on the iPad. Is it available? Am I missing it? Thanks.

Bill

walterbays said:
After you get driving directions, click on the "link" icon indicated in the picture below.
< cut >

Hey Walter, Thank you so much for your step-by-step guide and including the pictures. The pics speak a thousand words!

Thanks again!

Does anyone know what the policy is/will be regarding NAV system map updates?

Now that I've had an opportunity to actually use the NAV system, I notice that not only do I not like the way it routes me, but its maps are WAY out of date which starts it out on the wrong foot right off the bat. Living in a developing area, we are getting new roads all the time and in fact the two main roads I use in my area are fairly new: one road is a little over a year old but makes a huge difference in routing, the other road was completed a few months ago but is more of a minor reroute of the previous road. Nonetheless it still makes a difference in selecting the best route, and more importantly since the LEAF is more of a local driver, estimating miles I will need to travel on a given trip.

The first standalone GPS unit I purchased came with one free map update to get it up to date. Understandable since the unit was likely packaged several months to a year before I got it, so they do fairly give you one chance to get it current. The other GPS unit I bought (for about $150-$160) came with free lifetime map updates and traffic. While generous, this seems to be the status quo now. I think they realized that people weren't going to pay $80 for a map update when a brand new unit could be had for not much more, not to mention smart phone apps that basically use live data.

So after just taking delivery of a 2012 LEAF in December 2011, I was a bit upset that it did not contain map data for a major road that opened in late 2010. But I guess I am hoping that I will be entitled to at least one free update to bring the maps up to a level that reflected roads that existed when I bought the car. But going beyond that, how much are map updates expected to cost? I'd prefer to not pay anything of course, and that's what it would take to be competitive with the alternatives out there, but I'd probably even pay a nominal fee for lifetime updates for the convenience of using the built in unit. But if they insist on charging an outrageous fee for updates and those updates take over a year to get caught up with the actual roads in the area, then I'm afraid the built in NAV system in the LEAF quickly becomes useless. (Note: there is a road widening project nearby scheduled to open in late 2012 that will DRASTICALLY affect routing, so even if I get a near term free update sometime in 2012, it will quickly become obsolete).

The Nav database on the Leaf appears to be about 5 years out of date. There has been no confirmation of what updates are going to cost and when they might be available, but I feel pretty certain that we will not get any for free... If they aren't far more current than the one that the car comes with, they are essentially worthless anyway...

lpickup said:
So after just taking delivery of a 2012 LEAF in December 2011, I was a bit upset that it did not contain map data for a major road that opened in late 2010.

The Leaf is a green car and does not support urban sprawl and destruction of the environment.. you, as a Leaf buyer, should boycott new developments and roads also.

You are also a tech savvy early adopter.. use your iphone and dial up google maps :)

I tried Google Maps a few times, hit Send to Car, everything looks dandy, but it does not appear in Navi. I wonder what is going on, something I am (not) doing I suppose.

Herm said:
The Leaf is a green car and does not support urban sprawl and destruction of the environment.. you, as a Leaf buyer, should boycott new developments and roads also.

You are also a tech savvy early adopter.. use your iphone and dial up google maps :)

No, I'm not ;)

I'm actually a closet luddite that works in the high tech industry (figure that one out! :) ) I don't have a smart phone (but probably will get one once my contract allows me to upgrade my phone). But even if I did, I'd be upset about using either my phone or a portable GPS when I have this beautiful, large touch screen display built into the car (that automatically mutes the stereo when reading directions, etc)

As for the road building, okay, I'm partially with you, but seriously there are so many people moving to this area they have to expand roads to keep up. Otherwise all those gas vehicles we are trying to get rid of will be gridlocked for hours. They actually do a pretty good job when it comes to building roads that make sense.

most Car Nav maps are at least 2 years out of date. look at the manufacturing dates. the NAV will be the same for the entire model year so our "2011" is being planned with parts purchased in 2010. so best you can hope for is 2009 data.

DaveinOlyWA said:
most Car Nav maps are at least 2 years out of date. look at the manufacturing dates. the NAV will be the same for the entire model year so our "2011" is being planned with parts purchased in 2010. so best you can hope for is 2009 data.

That's simply not competitive with smartphone/Google based maps and my aforementioned portable device (TomTom) which comes with quarterly updates and at most the data on that is only 3-6 months behind. I.e. when they opened the one road in question in late 2010, it was reflected on the device by mid-2011. The other road that recently changed was opened in Oct 2011. It was not in the 4Q2011 update. We'll see if it's in the 1Q2012 update in a couple more months.

I don't have a ton of experience with different brands of GPS devices, but the limited experience I have suggests that it is at least technically possible to provide updates that are only 6 months old. So that's what we ought to expect.

And like I said, I'm okay with having my 2012 vehicle be supplied with 2010 data, provided I am entitled to one free update to bring it up to 2012 (or at least whatever is current at the time I choose to do my update).

As for the policy for regular updates, I'll just state again that if you go to your favorite electronics store and look at GPS units, those in the $99 price point appear not to have free lifetime map updates, but those in the $150 (even the TomTom at $109.99 has it) price range come with lifetime map updates, so that suggests that for about $50 I should be able to buy a lifetime map update option. Will that happen? I actually suspect that I'll be offered a one-time map update for around $75 that will contain map information, as you say, 2 years out of date already. I will not be happy if that's the case. I hope Nissan does the right thing and prices this fairly, otherwise I'm stuck with an in-dash unit that is not really that useful to me at all.

It's more than just five years out of date. Try looking for a hospital, or for a business that has been around a long time(Ruths Chris Steakhouse, for example). If I want a hospital, I probably don't care about losing weight, getting off alcohol/drugs, etc.

lpickup said:
Does anyone know what the policy is/will be regarding NAV system map updates?

Now that I've had an opportunity to actually use the NAV system, I notice that not only do I not like the way it routes me, but its maps are WAY out of date which starts it out on the wrong foot right off the bat. Living in a developing area, we are getting new roads all the time and in fact the two main roads I use in my area are fairly new: one road is a little over a year old but makes a huge difference in routing, the other road was completed a few months ago but is more of a minor reroute of the previous road. Nonetheless it still makes a difference in selecting the best route, and more importantly since the LEAF is more of a local driver, estimating miles I will need to travel on a given trip.

The first standalone GPS unit I purchased came with one free map update to get it up to date. Understandable since the unit was likely packaged several months to a year before I got it, so they do fairly give you one chance to get it current. The other GPS unit I bought (for about $150-$160) came with free lifetime map updates and traffic. While generous, this seems to be the status quo now. I think they realized that people weren't going to pay $80 for a map update when a brand new unit could be had for not much more, not to mention smart phone apps that basically use live data.

So after just taking delivery of a 2012 LEAF in December 2011, I was a bit upset that it did not contain map data for a major road that opened in late 2010. But I guess I am hoping that I will be entitled to at least one free update to bring the maps up to a level that reflected roads that existed when I bought the car. But going beyond that, how much are map updates expected to cost? I'd prefer to not pay anything of course, and that's what it would take to be competitive with the alternatives out there, but I'd probably even pay a nominal fee for lifetime updates for the convenience of using the built in unit. But if they insist on charging an outrageous fee for updates and those updates take over a year to get caught up with the actual roads in the area, then I'm afraid the built in NAV system in the LEAF quickly becomes useless. (Note: there is a road widening project nearby scheduled to open in late 2012 that will DRASTICALLY affect routing, so even if I get a near term free update sometime in 2012, it will quickly become obsolete).

I wanted to know more about the map updates, so I looked up Clarion at http://www.clarion.com/us/en/support/genuine/index.html and they said:

A message to users of factory or dealer installed equipment - Products have been designed and produced for specific automobiles. For inquiries, please contact your local automobile maker representative.”

I noticed that Clarion gets their maps from Navtech, so I went to Navtec at http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/IN...ShowAllProducts=YES&PersistNavigationMenu=YES

And found a listing for Nissan Map Update. After selecting my car, I found

“Our records indicate your vehicle has the most recent map update. Please check back soon for a map update product for your Nissan vehicle.”

But I also saw on that page:

“For customer service, please call 1-888-661-9995”.

I called it and they identified themselves as Nissan. They don’t show any current map updates for the Leaf, but the customer service rep said they expect one in the first quarter of this year. I asked about cost. She didn’t have any info for the Leaf, but she said many of the updates sell for $150.

Make of that what you will.

How much would it be worth to you to update partial-coverage
2005 maps to ... partial-coverage 2006 maps?

To me, not much, and certainly not $150 (which they might well be).

garygid said:
How much would it be worth to you to update partial-coverage
2005 maps to ... partial-coverage 2006 maps?

To me, not much, and certainly not $150 (which they might well be).

I'll ask it a different way: would I be willing to pay $150 for a one-time upgrade of whatever you want to call the maps in my vehicle to absolutely 100% current maps? Unfortunately no. As much as I would hate to do it, I would buy a new TomTom with lifetime map updates and traffic for $110 and stick it on the dash.

Fortunately the LEAF is by definition a local vehicle and I pretty much know the roads around here anyway. But if this is the model Nissan is using now for their other longer range cars, then they seriously need to get with the program. Check built-in NAV system off the list of features the LEAF has, because it is woefully uncompetitive with what's out on the market now.

$150 to upgrade a rather poor nav unit? No way. If I need directions and the LEAF nav doesn't have the necessary info, I'll grab the very old but current Garmin from the ICE.

Bill

*** New Map Version ***

One LEAF owner ("N1ghtrider", VIN 16408) reports
Nav Map version 11/07/16/01
is installed in his LEAF, delivered 15 Dec 2011.

Is this version available to the rest of us?

My guess is that they are simply one year newer, meaning that instead of being 5 years out of date when I bought my car a year ago, they are now just five years out of date as of today...

garygid said:
The new Maps (11/07/16/01) would appear to be dated July 2011.
Our older Maps (10/08/12/01) would appear to be from Aug 2010.
Are the 2011 Maps worth the update price?

Back