NC Leaf Owners

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aedanna said:
jbowman3 said:
Nice picture Lance. I'm planning to stop by there tomorrow evening to grab a beer at the Fox&Hound. See you guys Sat morning.

You took my space! :)

I went to North Hills Mall on Friday evening and both spots were taken! Good thing I had enough range to get home.

Sorry Tony, I knew that James was headed there already, and after I e-mailed you my recommendations I got a call from my neighbor (who also just got his LEAF) desperately looking for a charge and heading towards North Hills (he probably would not have made it home without the charge!). James told me that his boss was there as well, so there were at least 4 LEAFs trying to charge that night!

Always a good thing to have a backup plan I guess.

CarZin said:
I am actually starting to go back and forth with the Cameron Village individual. Standard questions about who pays, how much does it cost to charge an electric car, etc... Trying to get them informed so they can participate with Progress Energy.

Sounds good Ryan. I do think many are in what I call the gas station paradigm and expect a charge to be in the tens of dollars. I don't know what kind of electric rate shopping centers get, but assuming it's around the $0.1029 that I pay, basically the cost of electricity is going to be less than 40 cents an hour. They could easily calculate their worst case scenario cost: let's say 12 hours * 2 chargers * 40 cents/hour = $9.60/day, assuming non-stop charging during business hours. If that seems too expensive for them ;) then they could probably opt for a charging station that lets them charge people to charge, but I think that for commercial establishments the precedent will be that they offer the electricity for free since it is a VERY nominal expense for them and would be used to attract customers to their shopping center (compare $9.60/day with their marketing budget!)

I said that I doubt she would spend more than $80 a month in additional electricity, especially for the next fews year. There are not going to be cars plugged in 24x7x365. I suspect they pay hundreds of dollars, if not $1000+ for the common area lighting.

CarZin said:
I said that I doubt she would spend more than $80 a month in additional electricity, especially for the next fews year. There are not going to be cars plugged in 24x7x365. I suspect they pay hundreds of dollars, if not $1000+ for the common area lighting.

Yeah, unless they are paying a real premium for their electricity, $80/month is practically an impossibility. 24x7 would only be $60/month for 2 charging stations and I highly doubt they are going to see even 12x7.

Despite not seeing any chargers at Charlotte shopping malls, I would think they'd want to provide them free of charge to attract customers. :p

Despite extensive lobbying, verifying with progress that they'd be interested in installing plug-ins for free at Cameron, they seem uninterested in taking it on right now.

I'll just vote with my money. I already switched my movie theater to north hills after the installers they put in from wakefield where I normally go.

For the life of me, I just don't get why they would turn down free expensive chargers....

CarZin said:
Despite extensive lobbying, verifying with progress that they'd be interested in installing plug-ins for free at Cameron, they seem uninterested in taking it on right now.

I'll just vote with my money. I already switched my movie theater to north hills after the installers they put in from wakefield where I normally go.

For the life of me, I just don't get why they would turn down free expensive chargers....

BTW, did you request charging stations at Wakefield Commons (I think that's the name of the shopping center)? If so, maybe I'll follow up as well. That is only 2 minutes away from my house so it would almost be silly for me to charge there, but if you already initiated something with them, another request wouldn't hurt. They've definitely got signs plastered all over that shopping center with the name/number of the management company.

I have not. I am working on LaFayette Village now off Falls of the Neuse. You take on Wakefield :)

Come out this Saturday (1/28) to North Hills for the Advanced Energy Press Event celebrating some 40 of us who got cars. 12-2 pm.

Rumor has it that Leith Nissan will be there (possible test drives?).

More info: http://www.advancedenergy.org/corporate/news/2012/files/JourneyoftheElectricCar_PressRelease_Final.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have fun you guys and gals. wish i could be there. Maybe next Leaf falling.
Reminds me of a song. Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash
:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOA0Eqa4dC4&feature=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

another Stevie Nicks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4_QTtYUzJM&feature=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Attachments

• IMG_9567.JPG
    IMG_9567.JPG
    222.3 KB · Views: 13
aedanna said:
kg4bec said:
Hi,

A friend of mine who lives in Raleigh and works at AKC near the airport told me she saw four LEAFs parked in a row right opposite her work building. All but one had dealer tags. There were two L2 charging statios there as well. Anyone care to own up to them? :) :) :)

Cheers, Bert

I know all about them and one of the white ones is mine. There are actually 7 Nissan Leafs now! They are all part of Advanced Energy's usage study. I have been meaning to get a picture and post that here. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Hi Aedanna,

Thank you for the information, I'll be sure to pass it on! We pretty much decided there had to have been an incentive purchase of some kind for so many LEAFs to appear in one place and all from different dealers. I'm so happy to see a bunch-o-LEAFs out there... let's hope we see more of them here in Birmingham, AL!

I remember seeing that Qualcomm building on Google maps, and wondered also if they were buying the cars as a perk for their employees! :)

Good choice on the white color; I also have a 2012 white SV, I didn't spring for the SL or the QC port because I don't see QC stations showing up here any time soon. I've yet to see if I'll regret that decision. So far I've driven 1700 miles in about 6 weeks and having a BALL! The car has absolutely fulfilled my driving range needs so far.

Again, I appreciate your response. Have a great weekend.

Cheers, Bert

Finally got my DMV plate in.
IMAG0470.jpg

Enjoyed meeting everyone at the North Hills Advanced Energy event on Sat!

Very cool Mule! And very nice MNL frame by the way, although you should know that it's now outlawed in North Carolina because it covers the state name and the cameras on the new toll road here in the Triangle won't be able to automatically bill you if you drive there! (someone will have to manually verify that it is a North Carolina tag).

I also saw the tag "0 GAS4ME" on a Blue LEAF at the kick-off event this weekend.

Careful Mule, you know N.C. just passed a law last year about plate holders that block sticker or state name on plates. Took all my plate holders off to play safe...........nice tag :)

It's really nice that Bonner is ontop of the EV movement in North Hills. I suspect he'll need to add more charging stations, as I suspect this will be a destination complex now for EVs. 2 charging stations probably won't be enough.

CarZin said:
I suspect he'll need to add more charging stations, as I suspect this will be a destination complex now for EVs. 2 charging stations probably won't be enough.

My wife and I went there last Friday, Jan. 20th and both chargers were in use. It is far enough from my house to justify using a charger. Parking can be difficult at North Hills, so I am especially concerned that those spots will be ICE'ed. If North Hills were to get additional chargers I would suggest that they hide them down in the parking garage and not in a prime parking location.

After my experience with 7 cars here at Qualcomm for 5 level 2 chargers it is clear that chargers be placed between to parking spaces to be shared, at a minimum. Ideally they would be split between four parking spots in any parking situation where are parked for more than two hours.

Tony

lpickup said:
Very cool Mule! And very nice MNL frame by the way, although you should know that it's now outlawed in North Carolina because it covers the state name and the cameras on the new toll road here in the Triangle won't be able to automatically bill you if you drive there! (someone will have to manually verify that it is a North Carolina tag).

Thanks for the heads up. I missed that somehow. Its funny that "First in Flight" is only issued in NC. And The first manned flight was a Balloon in France Dec 1783 by the Moontgolfier Brothers . It should read "First Fixed Wing in Flight" I'll turn it over and place it over that. HeHaw :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mule

Back