NC Plug-in Electric Vehicle Taskforce Meeting Invitation

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pclifton

I hope many of our NC Leaf (and other EV) owners will participate in this State-Wide taskforce!
If enough actual EV owners are involved we might actually get some quick chargers instead of all these L2 units...
The invitation follows, we need everyone:
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2012 3:42 PM
To: NCPlan mailing list
Subject: [ncplan] NC Plug-in Electric Vehicle (PEV) Taskforce Meeting Invitation

Registration is open for the NC PEV Taskforce quarterly meeting. Please sign up today to learn more about state and local initiatives in NC for plug-in electric vehicle readiness.
http://www.ncpevtaskforce.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

REGISTRATION
EXTENDED!

RSVP by 3/14
for your broadcast location

Asheville<http://www.ncpevtaskforce.org/rsvp/asheville.php>
@UNC Asheville
One University Heights
Asheville, NC 28804

Charlotte<http://www.ncpevtaskforce.org/rsvp/charlotte.php>
@ UNC Charlotte
9201 University City Blvd.
Charlotte, NC 28223

Triad<http://www.ncpevtaskforce.org/rsvp/triad.php>
@ Winston-Salem
State University
Anderson Center, Room G22
601 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive
Winston-Salem, NC 27110

Triangle<http://www.ncpevtaskforce.org/rsvp/triangle.php>
@ MCNC
3021 East Cornwallis Road
RTP, NC 27709

The NC PEV Taskforce is co-sponsored by the North Carolina Department of Commerce and Advanced Energy.
The NC PEV Readiness Initiative: Plugging in from Mountains to Sea (M2S) planning project with funding provided by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Clean Cities Program through Centralina Council of Governments. Partners include: Advanced Energy, Land of Sky Regional Council, NC Solar Center/NC State University, Piedmont Triad Regional Council & Triangle J Council of Governments.

Katie R. Drye, AICP
Transportation Project Manager
Advanced Energy
http://www.advancedenergy.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;<http://www.advancedenergy.org/>
919-857-9009 [PHONE]
919-832-2696 [FAX]

I hope many of our NC Leaf (and other EV) owners will participate in this State-Wide taskforce!
If enough actual EV owners are involved we might actually get some quick chargers instead of all these L2 units...

To: NCPlan mailing list....registration is open for the NC PEV Taskforce quarterly meeting. http://www.ncpevtaskforce.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From the NCPEV site re 'whom should attend:'Private Businesses
Developers & Property Managers
City Managers & Planners
Fleet, Sustainability, & Facilities Managers
Elected Officials
Building Code Officials
Electrical Contractors
Others interested in a PEV economy--------------------------------------vague, but that includes me...

Sounds great, lotsa lofty ideas + goals noted on reviewing the website and websites of the supporters.
n.b. quarterly!?! First I've heard of it...
In a nutshell, what should I expect from (and bring to) the quarterly meeting?
Has anyone here on MNL gone to prior meetings [last apparently 10/27/11 in Raleigh]? If so, was it worthwhile/productive?

Hope there's been some networking with the Mar .8+9 Charlotte regional meeting to promote wind energy

Great website [kenclifton.com] by the way.

lspooz said:

bump

Well, is ANYONE else here going to these meetings??
Since NC is just ramping up statewide policy and decisions about EV support, EARLY advice and interventions by EV drivers will have MUCH more effect now than in 2013-2014 when there are more drivers.

My main goal in going is to lobby for QC installation between major cities, secondary goal of encouraging support for PV/alt-energy generation

Well, is ANYONE else here going to these meetings??
Since NC is just ramping up statewide policy and decisions about EV support, EARLY advice and interventions by EV drivers will have MUCH more effect now than in 2013-2014 when there are more drivers.

My main goal in going is to lobby for QC installation between major cities, secondary goal of encouraging support for PV/alt-energy generation
I am thankful for you lspooz and Lance for attending!
Unfortunately their meeting is running while I am double-scheduled to teach next week -- not sure how I am doing that without the taskforce in the mix...

I think you (lspooz) are right on target with the Quick Chargers. Correct placement would make interstate travel in the Triad via EV(s) a reality. Until that happens our EVs will be relegated to mostly local travel.

Regarding the Solar and Wind, I need to PM you (lspooz). Having two renewable energy facilities registered in NC since the beginning I can tell you that there are a lot of policies here in NC that work both directly and indirectly to seriously discourage solar. Those are better covered in a PM.

Thanks again for both of your participation!

Best,
Ken Clifton

Okay, here is my summary of the subject meeting. Please visit the NC PEV Task Force website in the near future as I believe they will be posting the presentations there.

The format of the meeting was a live video-conference with attendees in the Triangle, Charlotte, Asheville, Triad, and a special guest speaker from Seattle, WA.

Larry Shirley from the NC Dept of Commerce kicked off (and closed) the meeting with opening and closing remarks.

Katie Drye of Advanced Energy gave an update (and quick history) of the task force and related items of interest (e.g. the Plug-in Expo held in Raleigh last July). The task force consists of a steering committee that meets monthly and five working groups that also meet monthly. The working groups started meeting in January of this year so have met approximately 3 times. Participation in the working groups was determined as a result of interest specified at a symposium held in October 2011 (sorry, I don't know exactly what/when/where this was).

Some stats were shown that showed EV purchases and charging station installations over the past decade. It could be a trick of "scale", but I saw a peak in EV sales in 2008 and charging station installations in mid 2000's. I suspect the majority of these were fleet conversions and possibly what they called "neighborhood electric vehicles".

Sean Flaherty of the Centralina Council of Governments gave an update on the Mountains to Sea (M2S) project. M2S is the result of a US Dept of Energy grant ($500K I believe) going from Sept '11 to Sept '12) to cover PEV readiness in specific "communities" or regions. I believe the officially recognized communities are the Triangle and Charlotte regions, with work ongoing to officially recognize Asheville and the Triad. M2S also has working groups divided by region. There is a specific list of deliverables mandated by the grant that the groups are working on.

I don't know on what he based this data on, but he did show a chart which showed various metro areas in the US and indicated whether each city was part of a first, second or third wave of EV adoption/readiness and whether they were a leader or follower. Raleigh was indicated as a first wave leader and Charlotte as a second wave strong follower. Again, I'm not sure what that's based on exactly, and not sure why I didn't see other cities (i.e. San Jose, CA) in such strong positions. I'll await the presentation to be posted to see if there is a source listed for that particular chart.

The highlight (in my opinion) of the day was a presentation by Stephanie Meyn of the Western Washington Clean Cities association. Stephanie shared an in-depth lessons learned and best practices presentation based on her experience in gearing up the Seattle, WA area for EVs since they've already blazed that trail. We certainly do have a lot to learn from their experience and it's great they they are willing to share it.

Highlights:
- EV adoption is high in WA due to: high adoption rate of hybrid vehicles (1.53 vehicles / 1000 residents, 2nd only to CA) indicates willingness to accept EVs; favorable climate [I would say that NC enjoys a favorable climate as well]; high-tech areas with early adopter / green consumer attitudes; strong government leadership; inexpensive and relatively clean electricity (mainly hydro based on WA).
- Two key pieces of state legislation: HB 1481: provided ordinance models and specific timeframe that localities must adopt pass such ordinances, EVSE siting/installation guidelines [there is actually an infrastructure guidance document created as a result--not sure if it's publicly available], required charging stations to be installed at state-owned/managed rest areas and properties, sales tax exemption for EVSE (there is no income tax in WA, so all incentives are sales tax based). HB 1571: clarified revenue generation for charging so there is a clear path to who can charge for and under what terms, the electricity used for charging stations. She did not give specifics on these bills, but I assume we can probably find them online if need be.
- Once they had this readiness in place, grant money quickly flowed towards WA due to their advanced readiness (Ecotality, Charge America, Clean Cities, etc.) [we are probably still at the stage here in NC where we may reap some of those "early worms" ourselves if we act quickly]
- Infrastructure guidance: ideal sites are places of employments OUTSIDE of urban cores (urban core sites had drivers that had such small commutes that charging stations wouldn't be required); park & rides are rarely good sites; they had issues with politicians wanting to place charging stations at visible locations in front of "city hall" but were almost useless; shopping centers, stadiums, malls and airports are also good sites
- Because of potential issues with "selling" a service like electricity at federally funded interstate rest areas, their DC Fast Charge (DC FC) plan involved partnering with retail entities just off the interstate.
- She shared some stats they received from their partners. I didn't have time to get every last stat, and the stats she showed were broken down to weekday vs. weekend, but I'll report the essence of the data here. We'll have to wait for the actual presentation to see the full data:
78% of charging was at home; 21% away from home
Avg trip distance: 6.7-6.9 miles [I personally think this data may be skewed as when I go somewhere, I may stop for a bagel, then coffee, then go to my destination, so I may have a 2.0 mile trip, 1.5 mile trip, then a 30 mile trip--I really think this should just be combined into a single 33.5 mile trip!]
Avg distance / day: 31.2 miles
Home charging: plugged in (but not necessarily charging) 11.2 hours; charging: 2.3 hours 8.1 kWh
Public charging: plugged in (but not necessarily charging) 5.9 hours; charging: 1.6 hours 5.9 kWh
Home charging was pretty consistent weekday to weekend (slightly higher on weekend), but public charging was much higher on weekday (indicating that most public charging is probably workplace charging)
- Their avg EVSE cost was $8K/unit [gosh this is high!]
- They had many issues with parking deck installations since charging stations communicate over cell networks that didn't work reliably in a parking deck. She recommended a few alternatives and advice for dealing with vendors that say their equipment works well in parking decks.
- Agreements for land-leasing, etc. for DC FC took up to a year (some did take less). [So if we haven't started the process yet here in NC--and I don't believe we have--we probably should not hold our breath for DC FC unless it is initiated by a private entity (e.g. Walgreens or Sheetz)]
- They had issues with accuracy of EVSE maps, due to, for example, their dealing with an entity with a specific mailing address but the EVSE was installed in a different location.

The next topic was reports from the task force working groups. There are 6 of them, and the format of the reports were a summary of work done Jan-Mar, next steps Apr-Sep, and any barriers and accomplishments. The working groups are:

1) Vehicles
2) Infrastructure - in scope: AC L1/L2 DC L2 [what they are calling DC QC or DC FC I believe] at NC State Level; out of scope: building codes, incentives, vehicle to grid (V2G), actual deployment and regional needs.
3) Incentives & Economic Development (specifically to encourage EV equipment manufacturers and suppliers to locate here in NC)
4) Policy, Codes & Standards: Policy (inspection, legislation, permitting (goal 24-48 hour permitting process); Standards (ADA, Parking Rules, Zoning); Codes (Building Codes, safety)
5) Education & Outreach

The next topic was a readout from each of the M2S regions. Of interest here were plans for the Centralina region to create a high visible transportation piece to air on national TV prior to [in conjunction with?] the Democratic National Convention. I'm not really too sure what form this will take--probably a Charlotte booster type video that shows Charlotte as leading edge when it comes to alternative transportation? Asheville also had a lot going on, citing their high hybrid adoption rate (2X ahead of the rest of the state) so they expect EV adoption will follow suit. They mentioned they had a DC QC unit at the Eaton manufacturing facility for an EV test drive event they had out there. I don't know whether it's a permanent or portable unit, but interesting nonetheless. They also have a public solar charging station (looked like it had 3 bays) at UNC-Asheville with Eaton charging stations, Sundance Solar solar panels and installed by BioWheels, all NC companies. Unfortunately it is adjacent to an ABC store and patrons have pulled up to it thinking it's a drive thru for the ABC store!

The next meeting will be held in an in-person format somewhere in the Triad. I'm pretty sure the date was June 20, but if not it's sometime really close to that. There were no charging stations at the Triangle location this time. It would be nice if they had charging stations at whatever location they choose so I could potentially take the LEAF there (with a stopover at the Alamance rest area)!

I was too quick to wrap up that last post (well, it was getting long anyway).

The end of the meeting was a Q&A session. I didn't really take notes during that section. Based on the questions, I did get the sense that there is interest from the task force and the utilities to have DC QC stations out there, and hopefully with Stephanie's input they can find the best path to siting and going through the process. One of the questions raised by the Mike Waters (lead of the infrastructure team) was the methodology that Western WA used for siting, which sounded reasonable to me. I'm just a bit concerned about the "scope" box of the infrastructure working group being a little too small to really drive this home.

Which brings up another point: I did ask (for my own interest, but also on your behalf, Ken) about (a) making sure green power programs (such as NC Green Power) are included in the Education/Outreach and (b) streamlining or improving the process for becoming a clean power generator (directed to the infrastructure working group), to which the answer was that the current focus was on the EVSE side of things and that green power generation would be out of scope. While I do think that the priority ought to be on the base infrastructure, I did try to make a point that my experience in the community shows that LEAF owners do tend to be highly interested in becoming green generators and that will be important to them. So whether it is really too much additional work, or perhaps just the fact that the utilities are the major players in that working group (and probably not highly motivated to streamline the process), I don't know.

lpickup said:
I was too quick to wrap up that last post (well, it was getting long anyway).

Which brings up another point: I did ask (for my own interest, but also on your behalf, Ken) about (a) making sure green power programs (such as NC Green Power) are included in the Education/Outreach and (b) streamlining or improving the process for becoming a clean power generator (directed to the infrastructure working group), to which the answer was that the current focus was on the EVSE side of things and that green power generation would be out of scope. While I do think that the priority ought to be on the base infrastructure, I did try to make a point that my experience in the community shows that LEAF owners do tend to be highly interested in becoming green generators and that will be important to them. So whether it is really too much additional work, or perhaps just the fact that the utilities are the major players in that working group (and probably not highly motivated to streamline the process), I don't know.

THANK YOU LANCE!
Your comprehensive summary is much appreciated! I am sure there are other NC Leaf owners who will read you posts and benefit from them too :).
I hope that I can make the next meeting!

Thanks also for bringing up the clean energy program interest from EV owners. I believe this is something that EV owners will need to bring into existence, it does not look like other entities are that interested. I will communicate more to you about some additional developments on this via PM.

Wonderful Work, and much appreciated!
Best,
Ken Clifton

WOW, lpickup, I thought I took good notes but your summary is great: little I can add.

As I thought, it was helpful to contribute as an EV driver to a group that is establishing the ground floor for PEVs NC. While there was only one other private EV owner there (owns a battery powered converted SUV, and converting another vehicle) quite a few of the municipal/local attendees has used/driven EVs.

the NC PEV Task Force website should be helpful.

From the Washington experience and commentary on Infrastructure guidance: ideal sites are places of employments OUTSIDE of urban cores...park & rides are rarely good sites; they had issues with politicians wanting to place charging stations at visible locations in front of "city hall" but were almost useless; shopping centers, stadiums, malls and airports are also good sites.... I tried to emphasize that DC QC units largely belong between cities, L2 for shopping/recreation, and L1 at airports/hotels. Someone on MNL has made the point to consider public EVSEs more like vending machines than gas pumps from a marketing/business standpoint. BTW, the Graham Park + Ride has a Level 2 EVSE

They mentioned they had a DC QC unit at the Eaton manufacturing facility for an EV test drive event they had out there....
Tempting

The next meeting will be held in an in-person format somewhere in the Triad. I'm pretty sure the date was June 20, I'd like to attend, but encourage a few MNL folks to try go too.

Would love to participate...but...noticed this meeting was during work hours. Are there any meetings, Charlotte area, planned for off hours?

coqui said:
Would love to participate...but...noticed this meeting was during work hours. Are there any meetings, Charlotte area, planned for off hours?

If you'd like to get involved, probably the best way would be to join one of the working groups. These quarterly meetings are really just status meetings anyway. Great way to learn what's going on, but not really a working meeting. The working groups meet via teleconference/web-conference I believe. I don't know if they are doing normal working hours or not, but I suspect they may be because most of the task force are from industry related to EVs, so it's probably technically part of their job description and therefore done on work time. I volunteered for either the infrastructure or education/outreach working groups. Hopefully I'll hear something soon--if not I'll e-mail the leaders.

Now that I think of it, I think the incentives working group would be a worthwhile group to join as well. When WE think of incentives we think of things like tax breaks on EV and EVSE purchases/installs, but I think another aspect of incentives relate to attracting commercial entities (e.g. Walgreens, Sheetz, Kohls) to install charging stations on their premises. How Washington State did this was on my list of questions for Stephanie.

If I may hijack this thread a bit and use it to discuss other state-wide "governmental" issues, I'd like to get the group caught up on some correspondence I had with someone in the Dept of Commerce awhile back regarding their charging station plans (and specifically to address concerns about the appropriateness of the L2 stations at the Alamance and Benson rest areas).

The feedback I got was basically this:

Reasons for installing the charging stations they did (Chargepoint L2 stations):

1) Only 240V service is available at the rest areas, and installing 480V 3-phase would have made the project cost prohibitive.
2) The Dept of Transportation is prohibited from charging a fee for services at interstate rest stops with the exception of vending machine (comfort) and phone services. This is the same issue that Washington State ran into and why they chose to site their QC stations at commercial sites just off highways (not a bad plan anyway if you ask me--even 30 minutes is a long time to hang out at a rest area!) QC stations would have incurred too much cost to charge to give away for free (they are already getting complaints from [uninformed] legislators that they are incurring excessive costs from the L2 chargers). The Chargepoint charging stations do have the provision to charge for charging in the future if the federal law is ever clarified.
3) The funding that they received has a strict Buy American requirement. She said that the Coulomb L2 unit they went with was the highest level charger that met the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act standard. She said there are no QC units that can meet it (although if what they said at the Task Force meeting about an Eaton quick charger is true, I wonder how accurate that is? I'm pretty sure they said it was assembled right at a plant in Western NC, but maybe too many components are made overseas?)

There were several other discussion points I had with her about other questions I had regarding things like state-wide master plans, testing of actual highway ranges of vehicles, infrastructure buildout in "hub" cities, getting commercial entities involved in funding charging stations, and legislation for parking standards. I would say that most of what we discussed is covered by the NC PEV Task Force groups, so that is probably the appropriate forum for those discussions.

This next topic is specific to Raleigh, but maybe it has implications elsewhere in the state as it may set precedent, so I'll post it here.

From the 3/6 City Council meeting minutes:

ELECTRIC CHARGING STATIONS – CITY ATTORNEY TO DRAFT ORDINANCE – TO BE PLACED ON MARCH 20 MEETING

Mr. Gaylord indicated he feels the City should look at our current policy as it relates to charging station parking places and look at the possibility of making them exclusive parking for charging plug in vehicles. He stated as everyone knows he has recently purchased a plug-in vehicle therefore he is very mindful of the utilization of the spaces. He stated the City has installed stations around the City and almost always he sees those spaces taken up by vehicles with internal combustion engines, “ice” He pointed out he feels we are not utilizing our investment the best way we could and feels we could be loosing revenue as people come into our parking decks and plan to plug in but when they see the space is taken by a ice vehicle, they simply leave therefore we lose the parking revenue. He stated he feels we should look at our policy. Brief discussion took place as to how to proceed, whether refer it to committee or with the City Manager pointing out he heard about this problem recently. He had checked with the City Attorney to see if we could make these spaces exclusive for plug in vehicles. He has not received an answer but pointed out if it is determined we cannot, we could place some type signage or guidelines, etc. He stated the only conflict is if we make these exclusive for plug in parking only since it is on street we could be loosing revenue from those spaces.

City Attorney McCormick indicated the City can make them exclusive for a plug in and he would be happy to draft an ordinance and bring it to the next meeting. It was agreed to follow that course of action.

City employee Frank Olafson (who participates on the RTP LEAF Fan Facebook page) gave us a heads up about this. I talked to him about this at the Task Force meeting. The City Council meeting was happening at exactly the same time as the task force meeting so it was not possible to attend both, so we'll have to see when the minutes are posted what the proposal was. Frank mentioned he was hoping that it didn't go too far as it did in California and make it illegal for an EV to park in a designated spot if not actively charging, because it would undo all the planning they specifically did to make multiple spots reachable from each charging station to enable plug sharing. If one owner unplugged another once the original car was complete, that would leave the original owner parked illegal if the ordinance went too far. I don't know if this was a real concern or just based on what he knows about the CA law.

Back