Need help with 240 volt charging unit

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fopoku2k2

I am shipping a 2012 nissan leaf to use in West Africa where we have a 240 volt power supply. my question is what else do I need to purchase in order to charge my car effectively. Thank you

Any 240V L2 EVSE should do it.

You'd need to switch out the L1 that came with the car with either an EVSE Upgrade unit, or a European OEM L1 with the appropriate adapter.

I would talk with the manufacturer of which ever EVSE you choose. Make sure it will function properly on 50 hz as opposed to the 60 hz used in North America. Also, the 240v is "different" in that in the US, we use two UNGROUNDED hots (opposing wave forms, off the ends of the transformer windings), while most of the rest of the world uses one UNGROUNDED hot, and one GROUNDED hot (a neutral) for the 240v. This may, or may not, have an effect on the GFCI circuitry in the EVSE.

I would guess that most commercial EVSEs that are L2 will work fine. Units like the JuiceBox or OpenEVSE might see the ground and hot as L1. The OpenEVSE menu allows you to force L2. The OpenEVSE works on 50HZ just fine.

I can only speak about the OpenEVSE but the main difference is what charging table is used. L1 defaults to 12A and L2 defaults to 16A.
The pilot square wave duty cycle is what signals the max current offered.

Back