Need Tires for 2013 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zootjeff

I currently commute in a Nissan Leaf near Seattle. I have the SV trim with the 17” wheels. I have 40k on my original Michelin tires. I’m looking at getting new all season tires. Costco has a deal on Bridgestone Turanza QuietTrack. Low noise is high on my list.

Is this a good option for a low noise tire?

What tires did you put on your Leaf and did you notice issues or improved range or noise?

Zootjeff said:
I currently commute in a Nissan Leaf near Seattle. I have the SV trim with the 17” wheels. I have 40k on my original Michelin tires. I’m looking at getting new all season tires. Costco has a deal on Bridgestone Turanza QuietTrack. Low noise is high on my list.

What tires did you put on your Leaf and did you notice issues or improved range or noise?
For my 2013, Bridgestone Ecopia for maximum range given the limited battery capacity.

You can't get better low rolling resistance than the Ecopias but they are only fair for winter traction and wear is middle of the road. For all-weather(snow) I really like the Micheline Crossclimate 2's, noise-wise I'd say they are similar to the Ecopias, maybe a bit noisier. Maybe someone else will chime in on a real quiet tire but if snow performance is high on your list I highly recommend the Crossclimates, they look cool too(IMO).

jjeff said:
You can't get better low rolling resistance than the Ecopias but they are only fair for winter traction and wear is middle of the road. For all-weather(snow) I really like the Micheline Crossclimate 2's, noise-wise I'd say they are similar to the Ecopias, maybe a bit noisier. Maybe someone else will chime in on a real quiet tire but if snow performance is high on your list I highly recommend the Crossclimates, they look cool too(IMO).

Yeah, I probably should have added "best for warm climate areas", they do fine in the snow if you deflate them to around a mushy 30 PSI, but certainly are no replacement for good winter tires or even better all season tires.

jjeff, how many miles do you have your CrossClimate2's ? I just put a set on my Rav4P and I'm wondering how they will affect the efficiency. They certainly get rave reviews just about everywhere and so far, after 100 miles or so, they seem fine but I'm wondering if the are a low rolling resistance tire or not. TIA.

goldbrick said:
jjeff, how many miles do you have your CrossClimate2's ? I just put a set on my Rav4P and I'm wondering how they will affect the efficiency. They certainly get rave reviews just about everywhere and so far, after 100 miles or so, they seem fine but I'm wondering if the are a low rolling resistance tire or not. TIA.
About 10k and they are wearing quite well, as good or better than my previous Ecopias. At first I noticed probably a 15%? reduction in range but as they've worn in they are pretty close, maybe 5% less than a set of broke in Ecopias which considering their far superior winter traction, I'm more than willing to trade-off. Sorry, I don't track my efficiency as close as some who know their exact miles/kw or whatever the dash reading is in but whenever I reset it, which isn't often it's generally around 3.5. Were not hyper-milers and use the heat whenever we want, but generally, keep fan speed down to 1 or 2 and generally keep up with traffic which on the in-town interstate is close to but not exceeding 70mph. I kind of wish tires had a common RR rating like treadwear ratings but AFAIK they don't but if it's particularly low they seem to say "low RR" or something to that effect.

I bought (NANKANG SP-9 CROSS SPORT P205/55R16) for my 2012 from Walmart. half the price of OEM tires and I did not see a reduction in MPGe.

ripple4 said:
I bought (NANKANG SP-9 CROSS SPORT P205/55R16) for my 2012 from Walmart. half the price of OEM tires and I did not see a reduction in MPGe.

I bought what IIRC are those same tires for my ex-GF's car - twice, in fact. They don't wear well with aggressive driving (she drives like the police are chasing her) so please report back on well they wear in normal use.

Zootjeff said:

Bridgestone Turanza QuietTrack were on my shortlist along with Ecopia 422 plus in the 17" wheel size. My own priority was split between range/LRR and quietness. But when it came time to purchase, Discount Tire gave me a much better deal on another set of the original Michelins (roughly $200 less for the set) so that is what I purchased. I got 43K miles from the original Michelins and likely could have push them to 50K but had already picked up a couple of nails and they were getting squirrly on wet pavement. Since then, I went back to DT for a set of Michelin X-ice for 16" wheels that will likely go on the car in a couple weeks.

I will second what Jeff said about the Michelin Cross Climate 2 in 17-inch size. In my opinion, they are quieter than the Ecopias, Michelin Energy Saver A/S, or DriveGuards (Bridgestone run flat capable tires) that I have used in the past. Rolling resistance after running a few thousand miles might be a little higher than the Ecopias, but probably no higher than the Energy Saver A/S and lower than the DriveGuards. The Cross Climate 2 tires are far superior in both traction and handling to any other tires I have used on my LEAF's.

Back