Neither charger working

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckb

Ok, went to start charging the Leaf this afternoon. The 240 Blink charger would cause the car to make one audible beep, and no lights on the dash... the 120 trickle charger would do the normal beeps then the middle and passenger dash lights would blink for about 3 seconds then they would go out...

Any ideas? The car has 2000 miles on it. The blink charger seems to not be working at all... no back light... almost like it has no power.. The 120 charger only keeps the top light on.

Any ideas?

Are you sure you pushed the timer over ride button in the car? Sounds like you have one of the timers set. If you did the over ride, and still have the problem, then there is probably something wrong with the Blink.

Have you tried pressing the override button?

surfingslovak said:
Have you tried pressing the override button?

Under what conditions does the timer override button work? For example:

If I plug the charger in with the time activated, and it is already charging to 80%, can I press that cancel time button and will the car charge to 100% instead. What kind of visual confirmation is there?

I tried pressing the button the other night. But when I turned on the vehicle to check the timer screen, it said the time was still set. (but perhaps it was bypassed just for this one time? But how would I confirm?)

Do you have to press the button before you plug the car in? After you plug it in? Before you turn off the ignition? Or only after you turn it off??

I suppose if the car is plugged in, and not charging yet (waiting for timer to activate charging), you would see the sequential lights, and then see if change to the charging indicators.

ELROY said:
If I plug the charger in with the time activated, and it is already charging to 80%, can I press that cancel time button and will the car charge to 100% instead. What kind of visual confirmation is there?
Yes, you can do that. I don't think there is any visual confirmation, but there might be a beep -- not sure.

ELROY said:
Do you have to press the button before you plug the car in? After you plug it in? Before you turn off the ignition? Or only after you turn it off??
Well, the manual says:
  1. Place the power switch in the OFF position.
  2. Press the immediate charge switch.
  3. Connect the normal or trickle charge cable when the charging status indicator light changes to display immediate charge mode.
I think the power does have to be off; in fact that has tripped me up a few times. But it definitely works to press the charge switch after plugging in. In fact you can press it hours later.

Incidentally, it appears that using the Nissan Owner's web page button to "start charging" works exactly like pressing the button, with two exceptions:
  1. It's much slower. :x
  2. You can't reverse the action from the website the way you can with the button. :evil:

Ray

planet4ever said:
  1. You can't reverse the action from the website the way you can with the button. :evil:
Wow! I didn't know you could do that with the button! I've been unplugging and replugging the J1772 connector in order to stop charging.

Thanks for the tip!

Timer 1 nor 2 are set.

derkraut said:
Are you sure you pushed the timer over ride button in the car? Sounds like you have one of the timers set. If you did the over ride, and still have the problem, then there is probably something wrong with the Blink.

Have not pressed the override button.

Yes, the Blink is not lighting up at all.. Like it's not getting any power... BUT, the included 120 trickle cable that came with the car is not letting the car charge either...

Chuck

derkraut said:

chuckb said:
Have not pressed the override button.

Yes, the Blink is not lighting up at all.. Like it's not getting any power... BUT, the included 120 trickle cable that came with the car is not letting the car charge either...

Chuck

derkraut said:
Chuckb---I think there is something wrong in your car charging system. But, one last thing I would try before taking it to the dealer is to try charging it somewhere else (if you have enough battery left!?). Please let us know how this turns out.

When you plug the L1 EVSE that came with the car into
the wall, does its power light come on?

If not, you have lost power to the the garage.

With all timers off, car off, and power to the L1 EVSE, if
you plug into the car's J1772 Charge Connector, and
do not get any blue lights on the front-center of the
dashboard, then there is usually a problem.

With the car off, nothing connected, pressing the
Charging Override button should light the center
of the 3 blue lights.

Sometimes, reading the manual can help.

Taking car to the dealership this evening.

I'm going to plug it in at the dealership just to rule out an issue at the house...

Will let you guys know what happens.

planet4ever said:
... Incidentally, it appears that using the Nissan Owner's web page button to "start charging" works exactly like pressing the button, with two exceptions:
  1. It's much slower. :x
  2. You can't reverse the action from the website the way you can with the button. :evil:

Ray
There's one more difference. The website and phone app won't let you do a "start charging" unless the car is plugged in.

Took it to the dealer and they loaned me another Leaf.

There were two ! indicators lit up on the car on the drive down to the dealership.

So when I get home, the Blink station will not "engage". I plug it in and nothing...

So I pull out the L1 that came with the car and it works... this didn't work with my car.

So, I'm wondering if the car messed the blink station up, or did the blink station mess my car up....

Chuck

chuckb said:
... So, I'm wondering if the car messed the blink station up, or did the blink station mess my car up....

Chuck
I'd guess the latter. We've had GE Wattstations ruining LEAF chargers. The official explanation was a bug in the LEAF charger when power is interrupted or browned out. Not hard to imagine a malfunctioning Blink doing the same thing. Better call Blink pronto.

Just got off the phone with Blink. They are going to send out a tech. 1 -3 days... I hope they can get to it by Wednesday.

I hope all the warranties take care of all of this :)

davewill said:
chuckb said:
... So, I'm wondering if the car messed the blink station up, or did the blink station mess my car up....

Chuck
I'd guess the latter. We've had GE Wattstations ruining LEAF chargers. The official explanation was a bug in the LEAF charger when power is interrupted or browned out. Not hard to imagine a malfunctioning Blink doing the same thing. Better call Blink pronto.

OK, got my Leaf back last night from the dealership. They had to install a new onboard charger. The Blink folks came out and replaced their equipment too. The power supply had blown on the Blink.

Still no idea if the Blink broke the car or the car broke the blink...

With the world-class design, rock solid build quality, and high reliability of the Blink unit I could not imagine it being the Blink Unit.

Well, whatever happened to make the OBC fail, must have caused the heater to fail as well.

Leaf back in the shop with no heat :(

At least they gave me another Leaf to drive.

Wow all that back and forth, Sounds like your staying on the positive front with the LEAF though. I have had no issues with my BLINK unit. Had to update the firmware via hardwired connection to get it updated, wifi was not good enough for the download. Never set any timers or schedules on the BLINK, i allow the car to do all the work. Glad BLINK replaced your unit, Im planning on doing the EVSEUPGRADE for a backup.

Heck, maybe the next issue with your car (not wishing anything) will be around the time the new improved LEAF's are released and the lemon law will take care of your car with an upgraded '13 leaf?!?!

Back