New 2015 S with strange LeafSpy numbers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
iminsandiego said:
My car's SOH and capacity remaining at full charge has been creeping up the last couple weeks until I finally reached 100% SOH again. This occurred on a long trip up a mountain to a ski area called Big Bear. I trickle-charged overnight with my cord sitting in the snow and the next morning the car reported it's highest capacity since buying it.

10/29 - SOH: 99% AHr: 61.7
11/2 - SOH: 97% AHr: 60.6
11/9 - SOH: 94% AHr: 58.7
11/16 - SOH: 93% AHr: 57.9
11/23 - SOH: 96% AHr: 60.2
11/27 - SOH: 99% AHr: 61.5
12/1 - SOH: 95% AHr: 59.5
12/7 - SOH: 95% / AHr: 58.6 / Hx: 90.3
12/18 - SOH: 100% / AHr: 63.3 / Hx: 97.4 / GIDs: 287

this is normal and happens most when you drive more than normally for either a very long day or over a few days stretch. Not charging to full daily will also cause this. Nothing to be concerned about and returning to your normal driving pattern will see a return of the normal numbers you have been seeing

QC is a must for your battery. My 2015 Nissan Leaf is at 100% SOH and Ahr 67.64. I have done 21000 km. and 99 QC sessions. Normally I only charge the battery to 80% daily but will charge to 100% twice a month. I have looked at other Nissan Leafs with Leaf Spy and the ones that don't QC are not as healthy as my battery pack.

If you want to bring your battery back to life do a couple of QC session's in a day and get the battery temp up around 30 Celsius. I also recommend QC once a week.

I will be getting my 3rd Leaf now in February, a 30kw and I will do the same routine on that car to maintain the battery.

Cheers,

Halldor

Halldor said:
QC is a must for your battery. My 2015 Nissan Leaf is at 100% SOH and Ahr 67.64. I have done 21000 km. and 99 QC sessions. Normally I only charge the battery to 80% daily but will charge to 100% twice a month. I have looked at other Nissan Leafs with Leaf Spy and the ones that don't QC are not as healthy as my battery pack.

If you want to bring your battery back to life do a couple of QC session's in a day and get the battery temp up around 30 Celsius. I also recommend QC once a week.

I will be getting my 3rd Leaf now in February, a 30kw and I will do the same routine on that car to maintain the battery.

Cheers,

Halldor

My highest Ahr is 63. I'm curious what your reported kWh remaining and Gids is when you charge to 100%. and

I have a 2015 built 5/2015. Leaf spy started off at 89% SOH with only 245 miles on it. It now is 92% after 2600 miles. Never seen above 20.8 KW and 268 GIDS full charge. Tested a friends at 100% has 292GIDS and 100% SOH with nearly 12k miles on it. I guess I got a dud!!! Sigh!

Nevarda said:
I have a 2015 built 5/2015. Leaf spy started off at 89% SOH with only 245 miles on it. It now is 92% after 2600 miles. Never seen above 20.8 KW and 268 GIDS full charge. Tested a friends at 100% has 292GIDS and 100% SOH with nearly 12k miles on it. I guess I got a dud!!! Sigh!

Like a couple of others have mentioned, try a couple of long trips over a day or two and use QC to refill and keep going. When I'm only using my car for my normal 50 mile roundtrip commute, my SOH goes down over a couple weeks. On my last long trip up a mountain I used the QC three times on the way. The SOH improved during the trip and when I trickled charged to 100% overnight on the mountain, my SOH reported as 100% the next day. Over the next week with commuting, the SOH fell back to 95%.

iminsandiego said:
Like a couple of others have mentioned, try a couple of long trips over a day or two and use QC to refill and keep going. When I'm only using my car for my normal 50 mile roundtrip commute, my SOH goes down over a couple weeks. On my last long trip up a mountain I used the QC three times on the way. The SOH improved during the trip and when I trickled charged to 100% overnight on the mountain, my SOH reported as 100% the next day. Over the next week with commuting, the SOH fell back to 95%.
:lol: its so true! and I've found this to be the same on my 2015 SL.

Can somebody please update the EV wiki glossary of terms:
BMS - a piece of technology which is loosely coupled with the charge and discharge of the batteries, requiring constant oversight and hand-holding and the occasional spirited drive into the mountains to set its operation to normal again.

Like others, I also didn't check the manufacturing month before picking up my Leaf.

I got my OBDII dongle yesterday and I am sad to see SOH=89% and Health at 83%. I have mostly done L1s at home without topping off the cells. From the forum, topping off should help the pack balance the cells, I will try that a few times and report.

I don't see any benefit to temporarily pumping the number up only to have it settle back to it's normal average numbers. There is however a need to make sure that the pack gets balanced every so often.

I was looking at different ways to chart my leafspy data, and I noticed a correlation that seems to confirm the theme I have been noticing on the forum; that the 2015 battery likes to be driven more.

MilesVsHx.png

It's not a perfect match, but it does seem to at least roughly follow the peaks and valleys. The fact that this is only records where I charge to 100%, and I don't always charge to 100%, may make a difference. Miles/day in this case is calculated as the difference between odometer readings divided by the interval between readings, so periods where I am not recording the data as often make it less accurate in the short term. (For example in December and January I took the ICE on a road trip and the Leaf didn't get driven or charged.)

I drive 54 miles round trip daily. Been running the heater on the way to work lately. I leave early in ATL so drive about 75mph in the morning with traffic and much slower on the way home as it it stop and go after the HOV lane ends. I have been getting home lately with around 12-14% charge left. Not sure there is much more driving I can do. I charge on a 4.4kw clipper creek for the most part, but have done 28 QC since I got it in August 2015. Checked the date and it was manufactured on 4/15 so looks like it was on the lot for at least 3-4 months before I got my hands on it. My friend, doesn't understand anything about the leaf and just plugs it back in on every trip he does, short or long. He has no clue about looking at the remaining charge, he just drives the thing and plugs it back in. His roundtrip to work is around 26 miles a day, but does lots of running around after his kids. His SOH was at 100%. I drive in B mode with ECO. Maybe I should just drive the thing and not give a care about the battery. At least ECO mode should save me on tires in the long run. It is still at 92% today. The batter must have some level of degrade as every morning when I get in after pre-warm has come on it is sitting at 98% before I even leave. So much for using the house power??? Over the longer range, I think I'll be lucky to get the 54 mile round trip in the winter, but at least that should be a few years off, then maybe just upgrade to the BMW i3 REX or the new Tesla Model 3.

Nevarda said:
... At least ECO mode should save me on tires in the long run. ...
Tire life will be based on how you drive.
Speed in curves and acceleration rates.

Eco only changes mapping of the accelerator pedal.
Same power and torque is available, you just have to push the pedal further.

ECO will only change tire life if you change your driving because of the pedal mapping.

In ECO mode the power comes on much slower based on the position of the pedal. In non ECO mode those front tires were struggling to keep traction. I guess I could achieve the same thing by feathering the pedal but have found that ECO to be much better for me.

Tyger said:
I was looking at different ways to chart my leafspy data, and I noticed a correlation that seems to confirm the theme I have been noticing on the forum; that the 2015 battery likes to be driven more.
Correction, the computer reports better battery health stats when driven more.

There is no evidence that the battery actually recovers capacity by using it more - not to mention that this goes against everything that is known about lithium rechargeable batteries.

The only phenomenon that I am aware of that may temporarily reduce capacity is called passivization. Note that this can only occur when storing a cell and that there is debate among users on whether or not this actually occurs. Manufacturers tend to agree that this is not a factor. http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prime_batteries

I would love to see actual proof that battery capacity is regained after heavily cycling the battery.

LeafMuranoDriver said:
Are you saying that LeafSpy is inaccurate and doesn't give you usable capacity?
LeafSpy only reports what the LBC/BMS reports. And it's clear that the LBC/BMS changes it's mind abruptly about what the usable capacity of the battery is based on how the pack is used, which just isn't possible.

Lithium-ion battery capacity only goes one way - and that's down.

drees said:
LeafMuranoDriver said:
Are you saying that LeafSpy is inaccurate and doesn't give you usable capacity?
LeafSpy only reports what the LBC/BMS reports. And it's clear that the LBC/BMS changes it's mind abruptly about what the usable capacity of the battery is based on how the pack is used, which just isn't possible.

Lithium-ion battery capacity only goes one way - and that's down.
+100
And that is what the Nissan engineers were telling people at the meeting at Google back in 2011 or 2012.

The numbers are a guess.

That is why they initially wanted to give the driver coarse numbers and nothing precise on Status of Charge.

The problem is that the $ people at Nissan and marketing people at Nissan also saw that as an opportunity to reduce Nissan $ liability to the customer while over committing on the marketing side.

The story has not changed in the last five years.
We just have new 2015 LEAF people seeing the story for the first time.

I am yet another person who purchased a 2015 car and did not check the MFG date first. I was too focused on getting the best price I could on a 2015 SV Premium version. In the end I did get a very good discount on the car. Quite some time later when I looked at the MFG date and saw 10/14 I was a little surprised.

I think my car must have sat in the East Bay for some of 2014 and almost 10 months of 2015 until we bought it - I don't know when Nissan shipped cars built in 2014 to dealers though...2015 was not a overly hot summer, but the east bay is much hotter than the rest of the Bay Area. Now that it lives in Santa Cruz, I expect it to be an ideal climate for the battery. We only have 1926 miles on the car in 7 1/2 months! So we don't drive it much. I doubt we will ever see 4 lost bars before the warranty is up.

My latest Leaf Spy reading is:
SOC = 70%
SOH = 94%
AHr = 58.96

We didn't get the quick charge option (there is only 1 charger in the entire county), and I charge at home every other week or with wall mounted Open EVSE 40A L2 charger. I kind of regret not getting the Quick Charger as it will probably reduce the resale potential in the future.

Im in similar shape. Bought a 15sv model in Dec of 15 and found out recently that it was also manufactered 8/14. Having owned it 9 months and put 8800 miles on it, I finally got around to scanning it.

Soc -97%
Soh-95%
Ahr-59.55

The Gid figure is not too consistant. Reading anywhere from 271 to 280 after full charge. It seems to read higher with higher temps.
I can't complain. The car was bought in Dallas and transported to Shreveport, La. It sits outside all day and with 433 charge cycles, I can guarantee it stayed topped off at the dealership for a year.

Back