New Chevy Volt value proposition: use gas station restrooms

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
surfingslovak said:
tps said:
A premium sound system might be a popular option were it offered for the LEAF...
And so would a leather trim package!

There is one main reason I pulled out of my order of the Leaf, and it can be summed up in one word: cheap. I will not spend 37K for any car with any drivetrain, and not get 1) leather seats with lumbar support and 2) a decent sound system. I believe Nissan is losing some buyers (like me) by going el-cheapo on the interrior trim and items consumers rightly equate with "quality."

I'm sorry, but sound systems by Clarion are the ones you see on pegboards in convenience stores. When I test-drove the Leaf, I couldn't believe how tinny the sound system sounded. It was like 'they must be joking.' The seats covered with cloth made from recycled Evian bottles were absurd. And the cupholders (designers detest "losing space" to cupholders - see the BMW 335d Rube Goldberg 'arm') were too shallow, and in the wrong place.

Perhaps when manufacturers are deciding whether to offer a basic level of decency in interiors, they view it through an entrenched pricing model -- i.e., every "option" must carry full list price. How about, in an effort to provide a quality EV, they add these items in at their true cost, rather than marking them up to the hilt.

So one day I got my email saying I could finally order a Leaf. The next day, I got an email about the price increase...and I still couldn't order leather seats or a decent sound system. So now, I'm pricing a Volt.

tedbe said:
surfingslovak said:
tps said:
A premium sound system might be a popular option were it offered for the LEAF...
And so would a leather trim package!

There is one main reason I pulled out of my order of the Leaf, and it can be summed up in one word: cheap. I will not spend 37K for any car with any drivetrain, and not get 1) leather seats with lumbar support and 2) a decent sound system. I believe Nissan is losing some buyers (like me) by going el-cheapo on the interrior trim and items consumers rightly equate with "quality."

I'm sorry, but sound systems by Clarion are the ones you see on pegboards in convenience stores. When I test-drove the Leaf, I couldn't believe how tinny the sound system sounded. It was like 'they must be joking.' The seats covered with cloth made from recycled Evian bottles were absurd. And the cupholders (designers detest "losing space" to cupholders - see the BMW 335d Rube Goldberg 'arm') were too shallow, and in the wrong place.

Perhaps when manufacturers are deciding whether to offer a basic level of decency in interiors, they view it through an entrenched pricing model -- i.e., every "option" must carry full list price. How about, in an effort to provide a quality EV, they add these items in at their true cost, rather than marking them up to the hilt.

So one day I got my email saying I could finally order a Leaf. The next day, I got an email about the price increase...and I still couldn't order leather seats or a decent sound system. So now, I'm pricing a Volt.

For a little more you can get a Tesla Model S if that's what you want.

Ratz, my iPhone can't load it. I'll look at it later.

BTW- why would someone like Tedbe (above) join a LEAF Forum to rant against the LEAF and then say they're getting a Volt? Wouldn't you just join a Volt Forum and talk about how excited you are??? Very strange.

Just this morning I ran across a friend who said I was thinking about you yesterday. Then he smiles and tells me how funny he thought the gas station commercial was and started reciting it.

He is not a technology guy but easily got the commercial.

I've had multiple people give me the same reaction. They get the point of the commercial and find it funny! Excellent.

scottf200 said:
They get the point of the commercial and find it funny! Excellent.

Actually... I must not get it. Can you please explain what this commercial was about so we can all have a good laugh as well???

smilingbee said:
See, if you buy a Volt you can put gas in it at a gas station. That way you can use their restroom guilt-free. Isn't that better than an all electric car?

/sarcasm

Ya but this first post (above) is critical of the ad and not laughing with it. This is supposed to be a GM ad and usually ads are supposed to support or inform people about a companies product in a positive way. I mean if its an inside joke that only Volt owners get, OK then. But since LOTS of Americans don't own Volts I was just hoping someone with a Volt and laughing would share the joke.

TRONZ said:
Ya but this first post (above) is critical of the ad and not laughing with it. This is supposed to be a GM ad and usually ads are supposed to support or inform people about a companies product in a positive way. I mean if its an inside joke that only Volt owners get, OK then. But since LOTS of Americans don't own Volts I was just hoping someone with a Volt and laughing would share the joke.
Not hard. It reinforces the plugin concept by making it clear that the car uses almost no gas. Humor part is a guy who can't seem to get to the bathroom because everyone is interested in his car. Simple, effective.

davewill said:
Not hard. It reinforces the plugin concept by making it clear that the car uses almost no gas. Humor part is a guy who can't seem to get to the bathroom because everyone is interested in his car. Simple, effective.

Completely the opposite is actually true. The second commercial especially. It's either a FUD piece or a lame concept. It confuses the public about whether the Volt is an electric car or not (it's not) and hits the fear point by pointing out that electric vehicle drivers are not going to be able to use gas station bathrooms. :?

davewill said:
Humor part is a guy who can't seem to get to the bathroom because everyone is interested in his car. Simple, effective.
So the target market is for a person that can't really make up their mind? That is funny.

Do I keep entertaining strangers or do I use the restroom.... Hummmmm

Do I get another gas vehicle or go with a new electric.... Hummmmm

davewill said:
Nice quick summary. Apparently it is working on Joe/Jane public because they are finding it pretty funny and based on their comments they are understanding it (ie. without me cluing them). They have had none of the confusion listed above. Perfect as they are the target audience!!!

The folks that commented to me all understand I mainly drive on electric and on rarely on gas. Their comments lead me to believe they think the Volt is primarily used as an electric car. Perfect as they are the target audience!!!

Jokes-44800851585.jpeg

Back