New leaf owner

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using the LEAF Energy app, you're using about a third of your charge each way, and you've got about a third left when you get home. Normal, given your parameters. A 2012 has more range than it shows, and that is good for you since you need to learn the car and that buffer may help you someday.

Your range will improve when it warms up. 15 degrees is what's killing it. But at it's best, this is a short range car, and I see no EVSE on PlugShare on your route.

cwerdna said:
epirali said:
1) battery capacity is worse in the cold,

2) car heat will draw a bit and

3) cold air really increases air drag resistance.
Try reporting/recording charge percent and trip mileage to get a better sense of range.
Yep on 1 and 3, but I suspect 1 is a bigger contributor.

As for 2, OP has a '12 which has slow to heat power hungry heater. '13+ Leaf SV and SL have a more efficient hybrid heater w/heat pump. I hear the '13+ Leaf S heater also heats MUCH faster.

As for charge %, again, OP has a '12. It has *NO* % SoC indicator. It was a new feature on the '13+ Leafs. All he's got is the crap GOM, the 12 not very granular "fuel bars" on the right and the time estimtes to charge in hh:mm. Some have used the time estimate to sorta get more granular SoC than the 12 fuel bars. I can't find that thread now.

Also, he has no dedicated heater on/off button (also new on '13). From what understand, the '11 and '12 Leaf has some quirky heater behavior where it can unnecessarily eat up energy. I don't know the details but there is a fix at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6751" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Hopefully an '11 or '12 owner can chime in.

I suspect the OP when using defrost either used auto or some temp above 60 F, causing the heater to run.

Thanks I know about the "no heat pump" pre-13 but didn't realize they added all this small but useful displays and UI changes in 13.

Back