New Leaf Owners - Paint quality good or ehhhh?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pollen is everywhere....All it takes is a shake.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLY-8_PfxAw&feature=related

Jimmydreams said:
As for the "pollen" issue in the port at Long Beach. I WILL say that when I was washing my car yesterday, I had a LOT of yellow, 'polleny' looking spots all over the car.....even in places where the yellow gunk would have to have dropped straight down on the car from above!! While the stuff wasn't impossible to get off, it was more stubborn than most bug stains. I don't know if it was pollen or what, but I live about 60 miles south of Long Beach. You decide.
I have never heard of liquid pollen. It is an airborn powder. Bees collect the dryish pollen and store it on their legs until they get back to the hive. Bee droppings, on the other hand, are those mustard colored small spots you see on your windshield every now and then - or on other surfaces.

leafkabob said:
I have never heard of liquid pollen. It is an airborn powder. Bees collect the dryish pollen and store it on their legs until they get back to the hive. Bee droppings, on the other hand, are those mustard colored small spots you see on your windshield every now and then - or on other surfaces.
Is that so? I was just out washing and polishing today, and I swear they would appear WHILE I WATCHED. There were three on the hood in the time it took me to clean the windows.

They're small mustard-like plops from above, about the size of the two "SS" letters on our key fob from "NISSAN".

They smear/wipe easily, dry quickly, and become a bit more stubborn after they dry.

I've never seen bees fly overhead, so I'm at a total loss as to where these come from. Plant ooze? Black helicopter droppings? It's home address XFile stuff.

I get a lot of these "brownish-yellow" spots all over my car here in SAN. After they dry, I have to pick them loose with my thumbnail. So it's bee-poop, eh? I was wondering what it was. I thought maybe it came from airplane toilets (yeww!) :shock:

I'm not convinced it's bee poop. Maybe some other bug poop, but we just don't have that many bees around here.

There were more yellow plops on my car after one hour than I've seen bees all year.

And it's not a new thing.. been happening for years and years, and I'm never any closer to finding the source. Just once I'd like to SEE one appear so I can look up.

(San Diego, near Del Mar)

Here's another data point: I've never had one land on ME. You'd think, with the frequency that they land on the car, I'd have gotten one in the eye, or on the head, or arm.. "Hey dude, you have a little something gunk.. little higher.. there.. smeared it."

I don't see them on the bbq grill either, and it's been out much longer than the car.

GroundLoop said:
I'm not convinced it's bee poop. Maybe some other bug poop, but we just don't have that many bees around here.
As a former beekeeper, I can assure you that bee droppings fit your description to a tee. Sure, it could be some other insect, as I'm sure bees don't have a patent on mustard colored droppings, but my money is on bees.

I usually see more droppings on my car in the spring, when activity is highest. And don't be so sure that there aren't plenty of bees around your area. I would guess there are plenty. San Diego has tons of flowering plants for bees, along with a very mild climate.

Also, I think the likelihood of your being able to spot the culprit in the air is pretty slim. Bees aren't that big, and when they get 15 or 20 feet in the air, are very hard to spot.

MsLusty said:
GroundLoop said:
There were more yellow plops on my car after one hour than I've seen bees all year.

What color is your car? Red? I'm wondering if it's attracting bees.

Actually, bees don't see red (or don't see it well). That is why most of the honey-producing flowers are yellow or white. One other interesting point about bees and color is that when bees are riled up and defensive, they tend to sting what they see as dark colors. A person wearing black (or red, since they see that as a dark color) are more likely to get stingers in those dark clothes. ;)

Back