New Member with a 2015 Leaf SV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kleppertwo

I just bought a 2015 Leaf SV with the upgrades & only 500 miles on it. The dealer had it listed for $16,500.00. I thought it was a good deal so I drove 3 hrs to take a look at it. It turns out with the upholstery protection and other useless price risers they were actually asking about $20,000.00 for it. I'm a tough negotiator and after 5hrs of negotiation we settled on a price of $17,000.00.

Since it only has an 82 mile range I couldn't drive it home so I hired a car transportation company to pick it up at the dealers and deliver it to my house for $300.00. Upon inspecting it I found the drive away card (temp license plate) and the trickle charging cord were not in it. I sent several emails and placed a few calls but it took a while for the dealer to get back to me. I just got the package in the mail today and have the car on the trickle charger.

I drove it illegally with plates off another car for a couple days and I really like it. It is like new and very quiet. I was a bit surprised the first time the car spoke to me. I still haven't found the courage to respond. I think I would prefer to have the voice of the HAL 9000 computer from 2001 a space odyssey. When I try to do something beyond the capabilities of the car I would like it to say "I'm Sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that"

I am reading the manual and it is quite a car! I'm not a big fan of GPS so I may never use that feature. I also don't own a smart phone so I won't be using carwings either.

Beyond that is there any good reason to let my car send data to Nissan? I'm not real comfortable with letting Nissan know my every move. Perhaps I'm just paranoid. But that doesn't mean everyone s not out to get me!

I also got my EVSE in the mail today. I plan to install it myself. I have already completely rewired my house & built my own 3-phase converter for my woodworking machines. I think I can handle it.

I have been driving a 2005 VW Jetta TDi around. I plan to keep it. I plan to moth-ball it in my garage and only pull it out for long trips. I will use the Leaf as my daily driver.

I'm sure I will have questions. I look forward to getting to know the rest of you.

James

IIRC, Nissan has refused to release location info to law enforcement without a warrant, so I wouldn't' sorry too much about the data transmission. And if you have a 2G modem in the car, that is now over anyway!

The charging cable, BTW, is also an "EVSE." The only external "chargers" are the DC QC units that charge the car to 80% in 30 minutes or less.

Back