New sound at -20 F

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbiempls

I hope I never have to do this again, but last night I drove at -20 F (-28 C?). 12 volt started great (2012, with solar panel option) and car drove ok. Tire pressures were below what I like but not lower than Nissan and the tires request. I heard a weird low whistly moaning or groaning sound the whole time. Drove 3.3 miles, used 3 bars and yes I cranked the cabin heat. Made it home fine. Good car! But about that sound... is there any lube for wheels or something that I should have had done? Or do soon? Too soon to know whether the sound will be gone with normal temperatures. Any Leaf owners in Canada with feedback for me? Thanks. This is my second winter with the car, in St Paul MN

I remember a strange sound from my 2013 Leaf in temperatures that cold. I never got around to figuring out what it was. But it would go away once the temperature warmed up.

I sure do miss the instant heat of the Leaf. As of now, my Avalon goes 2 miles without any heat at all at these temperatures. And after that it's supposedly putting out heat, but it's hardly noticeable unless I'm going down the highway.

Yup, ours makes that same noise when it is cold nice and cold. FYI last night our Leaf in snow at -23F or -30C can go 28 miles from 100% to 10%. The noise got started to go away after about 5 miles.

I went to start my Leaf at noon today and got a groan about 4 seconds after hitting the power button, sounding like a pump complaining. I also got a 12v battery warning light and traction control, so pretty clearly 12v battery problems.

Back