new york city leaf... im looking for them but...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acegreatone

im looking for a 2013 leaf sl black ext on black leather int. i searched online over 30 dealerships plus went to 5 dealers. 2 test drives later i want the car but the model and color i want i cant find any info? ie, is it an option for a dealer from cali to ship one to a dealer here??? :cry:

The dealers in the NY area have virtually no stock. They had some around March/April, and quickly sold through whatever they got. Nissan is apparently struggling to supply the dealers in the west, specifically the Pacific NW, where demand is really high right now. I've been checking with all the dealers on Long Island and in Queens, and there's only 4 cars available that I can find, an S and 3 SVs. I'm guessing the situation will improve this summer.

NYLEAF said:
The dealers in the NY area have virtually no stock. They had some around March/April, and quickly sold through whatever they got. Nissan is apparently struggling to supply the dealers in the west, specifically the Pacific NW, where demand is really high right now. I've been checking with all the dealers on Long Island and in Queens, and there's only 4 cars available that I can find, an S and 3 SVs. I'm guessing the situation will improve this summer.

Getting the supply chain operating efficiently has got to be quite a task. Would be really interesting to see how the numbers are calculated. Henry Ford didn't have this problem as there was only one model and one color.

Reminds me of the Panera Bakery near me. Some days they are out of most everything by 4 PM while on other days it looks like no one even entered the bakery because at 4 PM the shelves are full of breads and pastries. Go figure. Perhaps, despite best intentions, that's just the way it is.

My dealer here in IL has not been able to obtain the same car you are requesting either. Every time I stop in he tells me that I have the best car as it is an SL in black, which of course leaves me feeling "special." (And, based on your comments, he's not just blowing smoke!)

I hope you are able to get the SL in black. If she is your hearts desire, how can you settle for anything less?

(Have you considered buying one of the black SL's from a NW dealer and having it shipped to you?)

Good luck!!

I'm in the same boat as you - Had to put in a factory order back in March for an SV with premium package since my car didn't exist on the Eastern seaboard. It's seven weeks later and still no word :cry:

(Have you considered buying one of the black SL's from a NW dealer and having it shipped to you?)

Good luck!![/quote]

yes i called dealers in cali and texas. they said they talked to there GM and cant ship out of state. and said fly to the west coast and buy it. That would be some trip back to ny.

acegreatone said:

Good luck!!

yes i called dealers in cali and texas. they said they talked to there GM and cant ship out of state. and said fly to the west coast and buy it. That would be some trip back to ny.[/quote]

Sounds like you are passing up an opportunity to be in the Guinness World Book of Records!!

acegreatone said:
yes i called dealers in cali and texas. they said they talked to there GM and cant ship out of state. and said fly to the west coast and buy it. That would be some trip back to ny.

Back in the days when the Leaf was only being sold in certain states, plenty of people had cars shipped from places like CA and WA. I had to wait about 4 or 5 months for my Leaf to arrive in NY, and during that time, I looked into having a car shipped from Fontana Nissan in CA. It was going to cost me a bit over $1200 to have the car shipped, but Fontana was happy to sell me the car, and I didn't have to fly to CA to make it happen. The only issue was that I wanted to lease, not buy, which is why I ultimately had to wait for my ordered car to arrive in NY. I highly recommend leasing, not buying, a Leaf.

acegreatone said:

Good luck!!

yes i called dealers in cali and texas. they said they talked to there GM and cant ship out of state. and said fly to the west coast and buy it. That would be some trip back to ny.[/quote]

Seriously? I bought from a dealer in TX in March, paid $750 for shipping, and saved a ton of money. In addition, while jogging by on a business trip earlier this month I walked into Boardwalk Nissan in CA and they told me they often sell and lease to customers in other states (given their prices I understand their high volume of LEAF sales).

NYLEAF said:
acegreatone said:

Back in the days when the Leaf was only being sold in certain states, plenty of people had cars shipped from places like CA and WA. I had to wait about 4 or 5 months for my Leaf to arrive in NY, and during that time, I looked into having a car shipped from Fontana Nissan in CA. It was going to cost me a bit over $1200 to have the car shipped, but Fontana was happy to sell me the car, and I didn't have to fly to CA to make it happen. The only issue was that I wanted to lease, not buy, which is why I ultimately had to wait for my ordered car to arrive in NY. I highly recommend leasing, not buying, a Leaf.

yes i plan on leasing also. and u cant lease in one state and live in another. or so ive heard from dealers in new jersey florida.

cgaydos said:
acegreatone said:

Good luck!!

Seriously? I bought from a dealer in TX in March, paid $750 for shipping, and saved a ton of money. In addition, while jogging by on a business trip earlier this month I walked into Boardwalk Nissan in CA and they told me they often sell and lease to customers in other states (given their prices I understand their high volume of LEAF sales).[/quote]
i wish i could copy and paste the email to this post but im on my iphone. ill check tx and see what happens. do you know the dealership in tx that you used?

Here is your new baby right here. http://www.bobhowardnissan.com/details/New+2013+Nissan+Leaf+SL+1N4AZ0CP0DC403909

Leafs do not sell very well here. I remember this car a couple months back. I knew they had not sold it. As poorly as they sell here. You may be able to work out a deal for them to ship for free. I have purchased cars sight-unseen many times. Normally the paperwork can be done by fedex overnight. Just an idea I suppose.

supra410 said:
Here is your new baby right here. http://www.bobhowardnissan.com/details/New+2013+Nissan+Leaf+SL+1N4AZ0CP0DC403909

Leafs do not sell very well here. I remember this car a couple months back. I knew they had not sold it. As poorly as they sell here. You may be able to work out a deal for them to ship for free. I have purchased cars sight-unseen many times. Normally the paperwork can be done by fedex overnight. Just an idea I suppose.
This is the neaf I want!!! I'm going to see what I ca n do.

acegreatone said:

I don't know about TX, but do NOT take delivery of a car in California if you are going to register it out of state, unless you are willing to pay local sales tax (over 10% in some areas) and CA reg fees (was $308 for my 2012 SV with a $35k MSRP).

acegreatone said:
ill check tx and see what happens. do you know the dealership in tx that you used?

It was Baytown - but don't try them. They are in an oil city and have only sold one LEAF ever - the demo to me. However, the TX laws made transfer really easy - just sign a paper saying that you'll pay sales taxes in your home state, the dealer sends you the manufacturers document (basically the pre-title) for initial registration. Make sure the dealer sends you a one-month temp registration for TX so you have time to get to your DMV.

I hadn't heard that buying in CA required paying local sales tax even if selling to outside the state (as someone else posted). I would definitely suggest checking local laws on government fees/taxes before buying from any outside state (as I did before buying from TX).

RonDawg said:
acegreatone said:

I don't know about TX, but do NOT take delivery of a car in California if you are going to register it out of state, unless you are willing to pay local sales tax (over 10% in some areas) and CA reg fees (was $308 for my 2012 SV with a $35k MSRP).

Not having done this I don't know the laws and procedures. But I was told that if it is sold/leased to a customer in another state and shipped to that state (thus "delivery is taken" in that other state) then the CA taxes don't apply. However, I would strongly recommend verifying this before actually setting up such a transaction.

acegreatone said:
supra410 said:

This is the neaf I want!!! I'm going to see what I ca n do.

If that doesn't work try Autotrader.com - search on 2013 LEAFs, search order price low-to-high, distance anywhere, keyword SL. You'll find a bunch in the US. Examples:

http://rosenthalnissanmazda.com/New-Inventory/2013_Nissan_LEAF_Vienna_1N4AZ0CP3DC407632.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.autobarnnissan.com/new-Chicago-2013-Nissan-Leaf-SL-1N4AZ0CP9DC402080" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now both of those prices are that low because they include the lease rebate, which means the $7500 federal tax credit is already factored in. However, they still appear to be good prices and likely you could get them to lower it even more. Note both dealers are closer to you than OK so transport costs will be lower.

When searching on autotrader remember they list first the premium sponsors, then the sponsors, then the normal listings, so you sometimes have to scroll down a ways or even to later pages to get the lowest advertised prices. You can also do similar searches on cars.com. Not every dealer advertises on these two sites, but most do.

cgaydos said:
I hadn't heard that buying in CA required paying local sales tax even if selling to outside the state (as someone else posted). I would definitely suggest checking local laws on government fees/taxes before buying from any outside state (as I did before buying from TX).

If you drive it off the dealer's lot, yes CA reg is required, which would also mean paying local sales taxes. If you buy it from the dealer but have it shipped by truck or trailer out of state, then you're not supposed to pay taxes or reg.

There was considerable discussion of this in regards to the RAV4 EV, as the car is technically not offered for sale outside of CA, but several non-Californians managed to convince a dealer to ship them one.

BTW here's some more info from http://www.boe.ca.gov/sutax/faqex.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in regards to purchases from a retailer in CA for exclusive use outside of the state:

L) Purchases for Use Outside California

A purchaser is not required to pay California use tax if the only use of the property purchased in California is to remove it from the state and it will be used solely thereafter outside this state. No other use can be made of the property. See Regulation 1620, subdivision (b)(9).

If the property is used in California for personal use or for recreation, use tax applies. For example, you, as a resident of Oregon, purchase a boat in San Diego and immediately leave for home. Along the way, you stop at Marina Del Rey, have dinner, and have a boat decal added. The next day you fish in the Channel Islands. Later, you stop to visit friends in San Francisco and take them for a ride in your boat. The California use tax applies because you made a personal and recreational use of the boat in California, and did not simply remove it from the state.

Delays for emergency repairs made to the vessel must be verified as functionally necessary for the vessel to continue its departure from the state. You must provide supporting documentation such as fuel, repair, mooring, or lodging receipts to verify the property's departure from California, plus documentation showing at least six months out-of-state use of the property to qualify for this provision.

-----------------

It sounds like from that description that you can technically drive the car out of the state via the quickest route possible, only stopping for gas, food, repairs, etc. as long as it not for recreational or commercial uses. But the problem with that even a new car needs a temp reg to be legal to drive on CA roadways, and to get the temp reg you have to apply for registration, which means paying all the necessary fees.

I'm in Syracuse, but mine's coming (driven) from the Rochester, NY area because there isn't anything local. Judging by the Nissan website, there are a bunch of Premiums hiding in the Rochester, NY area, so I would ask your dealer to get them check there first (or deal with the dealer here directly). There isn't much color choice tho (mostly black, some white and blue).

Very disappointed with the lack of inventory for sure.

I live in NJ, I have my 2013 Leaf SL for one Month tomorrow. I called 4 dealers and found one in Meadowlands that had a used 2011 and a 2013 SL that I bought.

It had all the options except the 4 way cameras/Bose Upgraded speakers.

I too wanted Black exterior but was told that they made very few, That they are the hardest color to find. I needed a car and I bought the one they had. My old car died two days earlier.

Back