New York Senate Bill to punish ICErs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Email to State sentate reps and Assembly members from my district sent. I hope something comes of this. I have seen already many public (Chargepoint) sites that are constantly ICE'd. Thank goodness I was never in desperate need of a charge when I spot them.
The wording also helps with the 'EVSE campers'. There is one chargepoint in Riverhead NY next to the court house and it seems there is at least one PHEV that works there and during the weekdays he or she is camped out there all day, plugged in but I am sure not charging for 8 hours on a L2 EVSE.

These EVSEs in public should be treated like gas pumps in a way in that you must move out when finished fueling (charging) within a reasonable amount of time or face fines, towing or both.

I wouldn't take a such a hard line of some would just put a charging courtesy card in their window with at least a contact number, especially if there is only one L2 EVSE within 10-20 miles as in this case.

OK end of rant...LOL

ROTFLMAO....at Icehole! That's perfect!

I think I know who owns that Prius Plug-in. Don't want to start any trouble (and probably should discuss this in another thread), but if he really is parked there all day, then it needs to be addressed, but the post I linked sounds like he does move the car once it's done charging. Judging by this post,this is him.

Well I don't want o call him out so that's why I was vauge about the exact model. However I was by there on several occasions late in the workday and the Prius was still parked in the spot and plugged in.

Like I said I was there to see if I could gain a dozen or so miles so I could run the CC and not worry about the distance. Not depsperate for the charge. It was between 4-5 Pm on both occasions. Again could be just a coinicedence and maybe he got in late or didn't plug in till late as that spot is also often ICE'd. I would always give a BEV or PHEV the benefit of the doubt unless I know for certain they were campers.

Again that's why I don't want to make a ruckus about it, just wish some would put a charging card in the window/dash so if I was stuck for a charge I could call and ask if I could unplug and use EVSE or if he would move so I could get in there.

As a side note I see this phenomenon similar to some years back as an IT networking pro, I was installing many wireless nets for retail businesses for customer use and the biggest concern (bey management anyway) was Internet or wireless campers. Someone who would come into the establishment and cop a squat and use the wireless service and not buy any product from the retailer. So they added gateways connected to the POS system that would spit out a code on ones receipt that was good for an hour or two of free wireless service, otherwise that had to log onto a pay system and pay the $5 or $10 bucks for the service per day.

"unless said vehicle is a plug-in electric vehicle that is being charged"

Will an offence be committed at the moment the vehicle reaches full charge and stops charging? Does it have to be removed before it hits 100%, or will some lee-way be permitted to hit 100% and stay plugged for 20 mins until the vehicle is moved?

After all, no-one will like a 'charge-point hogger' who parks there not because they need a charge, but just to park, will they?

I'm worried about the future prospects for wider acceptance of EV's - it's OK when the take-up is low, but there are going to be fist-fights over getting on to charge-points when it becomes more mainstream, if the return home that evening depends on getting on the charger!

TinMachine said:
Well I don't want o call him out so that's why I was vauge about the exact model. However I was by there on several occasions late in the workday and the Prius was still parked in the spot and plugged in.

Like I said I was there to see if I could gain a dozen or so miles so I could run the CC and not worry about the distance. Not depsperate for the charge. It was between 4-5 Pm on both occasions. Again could be just a coinicedence and maybe he got in late or didn't plug in till late as that spot is also often ICE'd. I would always give a BEV or PHEV the benefit of the doubt unless I know for certain they were campers.

Again that's why I don't want to make a ruckus about it, just wish some would put a charging card in the window/dash so if I was stuck for a charge I could call and ask if I could unplug and use EVSE or if he would move so I could get in there.

As a side note I see this phenomenon similar to some years back as an IT networking pro, I was installing many wireless nets for retail businesses for customer use and the biggest concern (bey management anyway) was Internet or wireless campers. Someone who would come into the establishment and cop a squat and use the wireless service and not buy any product from the retailer. So they added gateways connected to the POS system that would spit out a code on ones receipt that was good for an hour or two of free wireless service, otherwise that had to log onto a pay system and pay the $5 or $10 bucks for the service per day.
I agree that more people need to leave contact information near their window, to avoid these weird situations. It's why I came up with this design, and hang it around my mirror every time I charge in public. Highly recommend everyone prints one out (or tell me what needs to be fixed if there are problems).

Template (PDF)

Here is a pic of my copy, I laminated it, and attached a piece of string. It looks nice and easily gets one attention.

Click to zoom

Back