Newbie question: considering buying used

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iusc12

Hello everyone, been lurking for a while on this forum after considering buying a used Leaf for the past few months. We are now renting a small house that has a 30amp NEMA 14-30 outlet for the clothes dryer that we are considering using for a Leaf once we get one. Is it safe to use this for Level 2 charging with an older Leaf model, such as a 2015?

I have to move around a lot for work, so it's unlikely that we'll keep this house for more than a year, so we are trying not to invest too much in upgrading the electricity setup in the house. As a newbie, I've tried learning what I can about electrical stuff as well as the relevant EV info, but still feel like I can't quite grasp everything. If anybody can offer tips, that would be much appreciated. Thank you!

It's safe as long as you use an EVSE (aka charging cable) that is limited to 24A. A 2015 Leaf can take up to 27.5A if it has a 6.6kW charger on board but a 30A circuit should be limited to 24A for continuous use such as charging an EV. Most early Leafs that have a 6.6kW charger also have a CHAdeMO input so if your car doesn't then you can use the 30A socket without issue. If the car does have a CHAdeMO input, then use an EVSE that has a max current setting of 24A.

Most early Leafs that have a 6.6kW charger also have a CHAdeMO input so if your car doesn't then you can use the 30A socket without issue.

The exception would be a 2013 (and, IIRC, a 2014) Leaf SV without the Charge Package. In those cases the car would have no QC port but would have the 6.6kw onboard charger, requiring a 40 amp 240 volt circuit (or a 15 amp 120 volt circuit)...

Purchase an EVSE that either maxes out at 24a or can be set to 24a and you should be good to go. Technically if you have a Leaf that maxes out at 16a you could purchase a non-adjustable 30a EVSE and the Leaf would not charge at more than 16a but personally, I'd just purchase an EVSE that had a 24a setting and set it for that(or a bit less for safety) and you should be good to go.

LeftieBiker said:
In those cases the car would have no QC port but would have the 6.6kw onboard charger, requiring a 40 amp 240 volt circuit
I know what you are saying -- that a 40 Amp breaker is needed to charge at 6.6 kW.
But to clarify for OP -- an EV with a 6.6 kW on-board charger CAN charge at a lower rate. Just connect a lower rated EVSE, and then a lower rated circuit and breaker will be code compliant and safe.

I have a 30kwh 2017 Leaf, and I went back and forth a few times on buying a L2 cord/charger or getting a L2 system installed in our old house. We had a 30amp 240 outlet right next to garage that I could have used with the right cord/charger, but even those cords/chargers aren't exactly cheap. Honestly the trickle (L1) charger that comes with the car has been sufficient for our first year of ownership. Most overnight charging is fine for the smaller (24-30kwh) batteries. We ended up selling the house only about 10 months after getting the Leaf, so I guess I'm glad I didn't invest in the charger, as I doubt we would have recouped that in the house sale.

If you're moving a good bit, I would just use the trickle charge cord for a while and see how it works for you. There's a good chance it's not worth the investment in a L2 charger. If you do want to buy one though, the cord/charger units would be a good choice as you could just take it with you when you move.

Back