My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjdoe

We've looked at 2 dealers so far. Lot's of misinformation out there. We don't expect a sales guy to know everything - we've been researching, and getting a lot of info. But there is much we don't know.
We actually sat down and got a quote. (we had already said we were not buying today) 'Not a problem. My manager said he really wants to clear the lot this weekend!' Well, it was a big deal when we got up to leave. I felt I had to talk to the manager, to protect the sales guy, who had done nothing wrong. But they were a couple grand over the other store. It was uncomfortable, some, but my wife was in the car - and I wasn't going to sit back down with them!
We really were unarmed, as I hadn't checked the credit union or online prices. So the dealer prices meant nothing. At the Lexus place, we paid a few hundred more than the credit union price - because we liked the guy! We weren't even planning to buy that day. But I was to leave for a job in a few weeks, and my wife wanted something reliably newer.
But the quote came back with a $999 paint and interior protection plan. That vanished when we complained. Same with the $199 charge for a couple bucks worth of nitrogen!!!!!!! Gone. Another sucker add-on also vanished. They were still too high.

We were looking for a 13, but we found a new SV for 19k. But it wasn't in writing. (just sticker price- $7500+8000). They were coy about how much of that 8000 would be applied to a 16. And used just didn't seem like much of a deal. We normally buy cars that are 2-3 years old. But we bought the Lexus RX new, because I thought they held their value too well. Not sure how right I was. But after 8 years, it's held 35% of its value. (with zero repairs)

(one funny thing, not surprising. There was a big sign at the dealer - BIG 4TH OF JULY SALE! That discount was never real, and never mentioned! Even as i was leaving)

I've seen plenty of examples of where the new Leaf was the same price as used. $5K Nissan incentive plus $5k dealer incentive. Zero of this will be available with the 16 Leaf as it will be a much improved car. Latest rumor has it at 150 mile range.

Most of these dealerships function on predation as their operating principle. I tried to get a quote over email, from the place where I leased my '13. Once I made it clear that I didn't want to talk on the phone with a salesperson (I said email was fine) that was the last I heard from them. And I had sounded interested in actually leasing a car, not just testing the waters! They really want to get you in there and torture you, or at the very least do it over the phone. Screw that.

Back