Nissan Engineering Team Visit Dec. 3rd: Recap

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really wish I could be at the meeting. Is it possible you could arrange a live internet feed, audio only if video not practical?

A really important topic for me would be more details about the battery management and how to maximize battery life.
Q: When (how often) does the Leaf balance the cells in the main battery? Every charge? Charging to 100%? Charging to 80% and 100%? Only manually by a technician?
Q: Is discharging below one bar easier, the same, or harder on the battery than charging it to 100% ?

User Interface improvement:
pause route guidance with 1 or 3 clicks rather than 3.

TonyWilliams said:
gascant said:
The meeting with the LEAF Engineering Team will be at 1 PM on December 3rd.

I hope you guys and gals have room for a San Diego LEAFer at your meeting!
C'mon Up! We'd be glad to have you. I would extend the offer to anyone interested. It would be great to have the Sac and Central Coast groups participate as well (charging will be available, both on site and nearby).

As well, I'm all ears (or in this case, eyes) if someone knows how we can do a live internet feed. I'll make some inquiries. I've got a Video Camera and a tripod but only 8GB of memory--let's explore it.

gascant said:
As well, I'm all ears (or in this case, eyes) if someone knows how we can do a live internet feed. I'll make some inquiries. I've got a Video Camera and a tripod but only 8GB of memory--let's explore it.
Having worked at Adobe, I would heartily recommend their video conferencing solution called Connect. It allows the transmission of a computer desktop feed, which is good for slides, as well as a video feed for presentations. Ideally, we would record the session for later consumption as well. The meeting URL could look something like this:

http://connectnow.acrobat.com/sfbayleafs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any idea how many online participants we would be expecting? The plus account, which I have access to, supports up to 20 concurrent users, and I believe that they had a free trial if you wanted to evaluate it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChP0AINR_aU&t=141" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/adobeconnect/index.cfm?event=trial" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With the popularity of this meeting, I think we are going to have to organize the charging and create a priority list. I, for one will need charging at some point if I am to drive my LEAF from Berkeley.

Also, with the huge number of issues presented in this thread, we need to distill this down into a "Top 10" for discussion with the Engineers, and maybe we can also present them with an extended list afterwards if time permits. Things like options, offering "retrofit kits", and the like are not really under the purview of Engineering, and we don't want to waste their time or dilute the meeting with many inane issues.

Trust me, as an Engineer myself; Things like adding solar panels to the roof are examples of things we had better strike from the list, they are will just make the Engineering team roll their eyes and not take us seriously at all. This is not "Nissan Customer Service", it's the LEAD ENGINEERING TEAM!

Also: You can retrofit the QC port, but you have to replace several major sub-assembles in the car, at least 4 wiring harnesess. etc. The Labor alone looks like 8 hours and the parts cost is in the many thousands. So PLEASE don't bring this up!

Removing the headlight level control is an engineering issue? Really?!?

-Phil

gascant said:
Perhaps we could just use Skype Conference ? I am new to Skype, and I have never used its conference feature, so I don't know its limitations.

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/features/allfeatures/conference-calls/

Ingineer said:
Also, with the huge number of issues presented in this thread, we need to distill this down into a "Top 10" for discussion with the Engineers, and maybe we can also present them with an extended list afterwards if time permits. Things like options, offering "retrofit kits", and the like are not really under the purview of Engineering, and we don't want to waste their time or dilute the meeting with many inane issues.

Trust me, as an Engineer myself; Things like adding solar panels to the roof are examples of things we had better strike from the list, they are will just make the Engineering team roll their eyes and not take us seriously at all. This is not "Nissan Customer Service", it's the LEAD ENGINEERING TEAM!

-Phil
+1

How is the tabulation of "Top 10" issues coming ? How about ranking the top 20, and then give everyone one last chance to argue why their pet issue should be ranked above the cut ?

[Have not had time to read the entire thread for meeting location charging details - please excuse any doubled efforts - great discussion]

>>> Charging will be available on site--I believe that Google is making 6 L2 charging stations available to us. Details will be posted as we get a little closer to the event. One of our members who works there will organize a "parade" to the designated stations as he has to activate them individually with his own card. There are also several members that live close by that would be willing to host charging. <<<<

I was part of an off email loop about this access with Coulomb and other BayArea LEAFers. Can any one confirm that a single charge pass can unlock several stations concurrently? Via request of the host (Google) - I understand Coulomb might be able to assist system level rules / authorizations that could help facilitate guest charging from the network side.

Also from that email thread... is anyone in touch with Rolf @ Google - I gather he is part of the Google EV Program management. Don't want to speak out of turn but I bet we can easily come up with more than 6 LEAFs that need juice in order to get home. To maximize efforts for those LEAFs on the edge of range I'll bet coordinating some 110 access would also be perfectly welcome.

I'm sure there's awareness about the event within Google - just want to be sure we are good EV guests and a little glitch doesn't prevent charging or expectations get mis-matched due to over booked charging slots. Also want to be sure demand is matched up with supply as best as possible. I know when I attended the SF meeting I drove our ICE because I couldn't be sure about charging. When I arrived the Garage was packed with cars sipping juice. If we can make the trip do-able for a few more LEAFs all the better.

With all the interest in the meeting topic - I can easily see this growing into the largest meet up ever. The fact that it is to be held at the largest employer EVSE deployment is fantastic. Happy to put some time in to help coordinate the charging efforts - reservations, host, etc.

-Paul

Ingineer said:
With the popularity of this meeting, I think we are going to have to organize the charging and create a priority list. I, for one will need charging at some point if I am to drive my LEAF from Berkeley.

Also: You can retrofit the QC port, but you have to replace several major sub-assembles in the car, at least 4 wiring harnesess. etc. The Labor alone looks like 8 hours and the parts cost is in the many thousands. So PLEASE don't bring this up!

Removing the headlight level control is an engineering issue? Really?!?

-Phil

Phil has raised two important points for the Dec 3 meeting with Nissan - 1) charging and 2) what are we planning to present to the Nissan engineering team.

I can address the status of 2) at this time. Gascant and I have compiled information for two PPT presentations on Mods/upgrades and "suggested improvements" for the LEAF. The two key items for discussion on Mods/upgrades are EVSE/charging (Phil has volunteered to address this issue-am I correct Phil?) and SOC-related topic (gascant will lead the discussion with his experience using garygid's SOC meter). These are two topics that Nissan has a strong interest, and they would like to see the "devices" and a demo if possible. The other mods/upgrades I will present in the PPT presentation.

The second major presentation on suggested improvements is in draft form, and it changes as new information is obtained via MNL or email. Phil mentioned a priority list, which will be considered, to arrange in some order to cover the major ones at the Dec. 3 meeting. Nissan requested copies of our presentations prior to the Dec. 3 meeting so they can be ready to address the different topics. I will send the information to Nissan shortly after the Nov. 12 meeting.

IMO the preparation for the Dec. 3 meeting is proceeding very smoothly, with Google's contribution of meeting space and chargers that was arranged by Google LEAF owners (Hy and Arne), input by BayLEAF members, and gascant doing his excellent job of organizing another LEAF event. At Nissan's request, I estimated an attendance of 75 attendees and 50 LEAFs at the Dec. 3 meeting. Prove me wrong and exceed my forecast by having a forest(?) of LEAFs present.

Kim

Ok, I've created a Google Spreadsheet to add your Engineering issues. Please follow the format and add only things that Engineers have control over. An example of what NOT to add: More Paint Colors, Different Option Packages, Costs, Solar Panels on Roof, etc.

Here is the List of Likes as well if we want to add some "pats on the back".

-Phil

tbleakne said:
gascant said:
Perhaps we could just use Skype Conference ? I am new to Skype, and I have never used its conference feature, so I don't know its limitations.

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/features/allfeatures/conference-calls/

Happy to donate our WebEx account but that will only get us another 25 viewers with video and audio. I can also use our LiveMeeting account and accommodate 250 users though it can be a little less platform friendly - web client for Macs, no mobile nor tablet client. We also have an open conference call line but not terribly feature rich and is not directly integrated into the webcast.

I'm sure there's another corporate accounts we can score to GotoMeeting, Webex or via Google / On24 or another platform. I have a suspicion that there are many lurkers who have accounts that would help. Maybe even some folks with access to Google's AV Events team?

I will say that this has the ability potential to be a really great remote interaction at event but hosting call in questions and making sure the AV is perfect does get messy. The last event PUC event on sub-metering was a good example of the the technical challenges. As anyone who has hosted a meeting for more than a few people will agree someone really needs to have experience to make sure details like muting the callers, manning the chat window.

Phil and others - I think we can extract this from the Engineering thread and start a separate thread on meeting logistics (charging, local AV, broadcast, PR, etc.)? Possibly pilot some concepts for the meeting coming up at HP in November?

-Paul

Please ask the Nissan engineers the status of their under $15k CHAdeMO Quick Chargers. Can we buy it now/soon? What can we do with our QC ports NOW so we can get faster charging? Do they have any software, hardware workarounds given that we have no CHAdeMOs but we still want faster charging than Level 2 when on the road? I love my "no gas" LEAF--just don't want to use an ICE for those other marginal occasions.

Phoenix said:
Please ask the Nissan engineers the status of their under $15k CHAdeMO Quick Chargers. Can we buy it now/soon? What can we do with our QC ports NOW so we can get faster charging? Do they have any software, hardware workarounds given that we have no CHAdeMOs but we still want faster charging than Level 2 when on the road? I love my "no gas" LEAF--just don't want to use an ICE for those other marginal occasions.
OT: But we are working on a medium rate QC solution. It would be nice if Nissan offered one, but I think this topic is not an "Engineering" issue. They already are talking about doubling the L2 rate next year.

-Phil

Please, Everyone that has posted ideas; Please go back and add them to the SPREADSHEET, as we need to have all the ideas in one place so we can ultimately distill them down into a viable presentation for the engineering team.

Thanks!

-Phil

Ingineer said:
Phoenix said:
OT: But we are working on a medium rate QC solution. It would be nice if Nissan offered one, but I think this topic is not an "Engineering" issue. They already are talking about doubling the L2 rate next year.

-Phil

I disagree. The long term use and enjoyment of our LEAFs, as presently configured is the engineering issue I am most interested in. Doubling the L2 rate next year (or 2013) won't matter to those of us with our 3.3 kW chargers. Does Nissan have a medium rate QC solution or can they offer one?

Phoenix said:
I disagree. The long term use and enjoyment of our LEAFs, as presently configured is the engineering issue I am most interested in. Doubling the L2 rate next year (or 2013) won't matter to those of us with our 3.3 kW chargers. Does Nissan have a medium rate QC solution or can they offer one?
Just to be clear: It will be cost-prohibitive for Nissan to offer an upgrade to the existing on-board charger. They have not announced plans to offer any kind of a low or medium rate QC, but I suppose they could.

We are currently investigating several possible offerings to solve this problem for 2011-2012 LEAF owners in the free market. We will let everyone here know when we begin testing. Feel free to email us if you'd like to offer suggestions/ideas on this topic, or start a new thread, but let's keep it out of this one as it's somewhat OT.

Thanks!

-Phil

Ingineer said:
Ok, I've created a Google Spreadsheet to add your Engineering issues. Please follow the format and add only things that Engineers have control over. An example of what NOT to add: More Paint Colors, Different Option Packages, Costs, Solar Panels on Roof, etc.

Here is the List of Likes as well if we want to add some "pats on the back".

-Phil

I have created a short PPT presentation on List of Likes for the meeting. However, more input is welcomed.

I also have an Excel spreadsheet with the raw data that was assembled based on input from the MNL sites. Perhaps the information that is received on the Google doc site (set up by Phil) and the MNL sites can be integrated to one Google document for everyone to see later down the road. There are two issues here. 1) What do the engineers have control over, and 2) What does Nissan have control over (see above - More Paint Colors, Different Option Packages, Costs, Solar Panels on Roof, etc.). Both are included in the input we have received so far and the distinction between the two is subject to debate, but the focus for the meeting should be mainly addressed to engineering issues for the Nissan engineers. However, for completeness, our list for Nissan includes issues related to both topical areas.

Comments are always welcomed.

Kim

Back