Nissan LEAF - It IS the car for me!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
This week I was at Nissan North America’s Headquarters in Tennessee for my second drive of the all new Nissan LEAF electric vehicle, teamed with a gentleman by the name of Dan Wiese. Dan is the automotive writer for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, and has a somewhat skeptical view of this whole EV deal. We made for an interesting odd-couple, what with my evangelical enthusiasm, but we actually got along famously well and I’m looking forward to reading his story of our time together.

nissan_corp.jpg

waiting%20to%20drive.jpg

Our day was broken into two test drives of about 30 miles each. The first drive appeared to be carefully choreographed, and covered 10 miles of highway driving and 20 miles of hilly country roads. But before I get to talking about that in detail, let’s talk about “range anxiety” just a bit.

Despite following the EV world for over 10 years now, I am somewhat ashamed to say that I don’t have a massive amount of experience driving the vehicles - all my prior drives have been at ride-and-drive type events, with the exposure limited to one or two city blocks. You can imagine then, when the first LEAF we drove lost 9 miles of range almost immediately from pulling away, changing from 90 miles to 81, that I experienced just a tad of this range anxiety. And it wasn’t just this particular LEAF….the second one we drove went immediately from 60 miles down to 51, so clearly behavior by design.

However, once we got going properly on drive one, the range indicator began dancing around in the familiar away, thanks to regenerative braking, staying within 70 and 80 available miles for most of a journey taken without ECO mode (which adds about 10% more range) and with the air conditioning on. Only when we got close to the end of our 30 mile loop did we drop into the 60s, and we finished with 65 miles remaining, despite plenty of spirited driving and a couple of 0-60 timed runs.

67mph.jpg

67mph2.jpg

Nissan’s Mark Perry insists that after living with the LEAF for a couple of weeks, range anxiety will be a thing of distant memory. And I’m certain he’s right.

Speaking of 0-60 times, I’m pleased to say that our runs (we did one each) both came in at 10 seconds, precisely the time Nissan had told us to expect in our orientation meeting. Now neither of us thought to take the traction control off, and maybe that would have made our runs just a hair faster, but I don’t see any way to get a 7 second 0-60 (as has been reported elsewhere) out of this car. I’m equally glad to report a time better than the 11-12 second one seen in that Internet video of the LEAF on the Autobahn. I can live with 10 seconds (or even a hair faster)….my Ford Focus is a 9.5 second car, and that’s plenty quick enough for me!

Also speaking of 0-60 times, the way the LEAF put power down for those runs was a bit strange. Now I suspect this is also by design, but it seems impossible to spin the wheels from takeoff (at least with the traction control on) because the initial power comes in so gradually. It makes the car feel slower than it is, though I doubt you’d even notice under most day-to-day driving. Of course, it could also be a different story entirely with the traction control off, and I wish that was something we’d thought to try. A test to run the next time I drive.

consumption.jpg

This first run gave us the kind of roads we needed to properly examine the LEAF’s handling, and I must say that it also performed very well - body roll was minimal, thanks to the very low center of gravity, and the car went into bends with nothing in the way of noticeable understeer.

Being half-time passenger in the LEAF gave me an opportunity to check out the interior quality again. My previous encounter left me feeling that some of the buttons and switches were a bit wimpy. Now that I’ve had more time with them, I have done a complete 180, and feel instead that it’s the switchgear in my Focus that is too chunky. I also left the car with a better appreciation of the plastics used. Yes, they are hard plastics, but they aren’t what I’d call “coarse” plastics. Materials quality is very good for a car that would no doubt be stickered at $10,000 less had it been built with a conventional drivetrain.

The other drive of the day was supposed to be a short city loop through the nearby town of Franklin. But this was honestly not something I wanted to do, and I took the opportunity of Mr. Perry being at our table for lunch to lobby for freeway time instead. Fortunately, I didn’t have to step off the reservation because he agreed quite readily.

The second car Dan and I chose was showing 60 miles of available range when we stepped into it, which became 51 miles of range almost immediately after starting out (remember that also happened with the first car), so he and I agreed on a 30 mile loop at full highway speeds, again with no ECO and with the air conditioning on.

Why only 30 miles when the car could have probably gone 20 more? Well I did have a flight to catch early that same afternoon, so I was time constrained. But I also didn’t want us to be team towed back to Nissan. So, yes, we played it safe.

However, I am pleased to report that the car did very well, giving us between 3.8 and 4.6 miles per kWh. The 3.9 miles per kWh was even on a slight uphill grade with almost tornadic headwinds, which alone would translate into over 90 miles of range for the full pack under the same conditions. Outstanding performance for an EV of the LEAF's size and weight!

4point6milesperkwh.jpg

Being as I’m a reservation holder, I am left with zero concern about this being a car appropriate to my driving needs, and can’t wait to take delivery in a few weeks time. I’d count the days, if only I knew exactly when it was going to happen!

I have not driven the LEAF yet( will get a chance this Friday) and would like to know what you think of the steering? Is it way too light, numb, no on-center fell like a few articles online are saying? How did the steering feel in freeway speeds, did it get less assisted? How does it compare to your Focus?

trentr said:
I have not driven the LEAF yet( will get a chance this Friday) and would like to know what you think of the steering? Is it way too light, numb, no on-center fell like a few articles online are saying? How did the steering feel in freeway speeds, did it get less assisted? How does it compare to your Focus?

Yes, and I meant to mention it in my review but didn't.....the steering did indeed feel less assisted at speed. Still light compared to the Focus, especially the '03 (which is probably too heavy, truth be told), but not anywhere near as noticeable as it was at slow speed. At freeway speeds, definitely more in line with my '05.

Great report, Michael. Thanks for representing us and our questions. Your findings about range and highway performance are really encouraging. I was hoping for a bit more pace on the 0-60 time, but I've driven the LEAF three times now and I don't feel that it is slow by any means, at least at the speeds at which I was driving in residential areas.

Anxiously waiting for my own LEAF to be delivered!

Nice review.

If one is driving on the freeway and not using AC or heat switching to ECO mode will not add 10% more range, that is a misstatement. There is no magic technology that the ECO button has to give the car more efficiency in all situations. The ECO mode cuts back ac and heat likely to save power but if you are not using them it won't reduce consumption, period. Cutting back the AC will increase range more on longer trips and the real boost for ECO is in the city for that reason and for more regen. The ECO mode also changes the accel pedal profile for inexperienced drivers but it does not make the car more efficient it only makes the driver more aware of consumption.

There are some fundamental principals for EVs that will never change and apply to all EVs, these short drives are great but everyone needs to really understand that as the pack ages even in the short term the performance will change when it is not fully charged. I would like to see a comparison of 0-60 impressions and times with a fully charged pack and one with 30% remaining both now and in a year, those things are far more telling than driving on well charged and healthy packs.

The fact the Leaf 0-60 is 10 seconds makes complete sense and has all along, I'm not sure the traction control is even going to cut .5 seconds off the 0-60. I think the Leaf is a great first launch for an EV, I really hope the pack lasts more than 5 years on the low end, this is the key to this cars acceptance and success. EV drives and components are relatively easy, it's the pack that makes or breaks the car.

mwalsh said:
However, I am pleased to report that the car did very well, giving us between 3.8 and 4.6 miles per kWh.

Can you add the speeds at which you drove - I guess around 65mph from the photo.

My "range anxiety" when using the air conditioning is beginning to disappear, thanks to you. Great review.

Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!

evnow said:
Can you add the speeds at which you drove - I guess around 65mph from the photo.

The picture showing 67mph is from the freeway stretch during the first run. That and the Energy Usage screen shot are from within seconds of each other.

On the second run, I got up to 70mph pretty quickly and put the car in cruise, accelerating to 75mph only briefly to pass a truck doing 70mph so I could exit the freeway. Dan, during his part of the second run, also drove at 70mph for the most part, with one or maybe two brief blast(s) up to 75mph.

Here is a shot showing the 3.8 miles per kWh. If you look in the top corner of the picture, you can just see the speedo reading 70mph. I'm guessing this must have been under acceleration or driving uphill. Maybe even both...look at the instant bar (and this is something new I'm seeing myself) it's down to about 2.5 miles per kWh.

70mph.jpg

Now take a look at this next picture, taken just one minute earlier. We have two more miles of range and our instant bar is just over 4.1 miles per kWh.

4point6milesperkwh.jpg

This is also interesting. The first picture shows energy useage under what I assume was acceleration and then the second, taken just one minute later, under what I assume was cruising or certainly less acceleration:

acceleration.jpg

crusing.jpg

mwalsh said:
The picture showing 67mph is from the freeway stretch during the first run. That and the Energy Usage screen shot are from within seconds of each other.

So the usage (3.8 or 4.6 m/kwh) are instant and not trip numbers ?

evnow said:
mwalsh said:

Seems to say average on the display. A real time number would be extremely revealing, even if averaged every minute.

EVDRIVER said:
evnow said:
mwalsh said:

Seems to say average on the display. A real time number would be extremely revealing, even if averaged every minute.

average on the left and instant bar graph on the right, right?

EVDRIVER said:

I guess I should say averaged over last 1 minute rather than instantaneous. Otherwise the number can't change from 4.6 to 3.8 in one minute ...

evnow said:
EVDRIVER said:

I guess I should say averaged over last 1 minute rather than instantaneous. Otherwise the number can't change from 4.6 to 3.8 in one minute ...

It may have changed during a one minute interval and it's just that my photos tend to be two minutes apart (I've noticed that quite a bit since I started analyzing the photos in more detail. But I don't know why I do it). Certainly the numbers do change during a two minute interval.

Real time is depicted by the Instant bar-graph. But it's changing so much that it would make you nuts trying to keep up with it. Best to just take that average whenever it's offered as the Gospel.

BTW, the reason I don't have an average for run one is that we neither realized that you have to reset that counter for each run, if you want to keep up with your average use. We didn't realize that and were a bit dubious when our average counter never moved from 5.1 miles per kWh on the first run. :lol:

mwalsh said:
Real time is depicted by the Instant bar-graph. But it's changing so much that it would make you nuts trying to keep up with it. Best to just take that average whenever it's offered as the Gospel.
Yes, I was thinking it isn't easy to figure out the real trip usage since they don't directly show the SOC at any time. I wish they atleast showed the kwh used in the trip - along with the trip odometer. That would be the best way to figure out trip wh/mile usage.

In the "Energy Usage" they are actually showing power usage.

Back