Nissan LEAF / NissanConnect EV severe security vulnerability

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got an email from Nissan about the re-release of the app (iOS). Here's an excerpt.

"For those of you who have not taken advantage of the NissanConnect EV app to remotely pre-heat and pre-cool your Zero Emissions Nissan LEAF, check your estimated state of charge or start/stop charging, we encourage you to register on the Nissan Owner Portal, download the free app and take advantage of the features NissanConnect EV offers."

see the part that says "start/stop charging"

Anyone see where they added the "start charging" functionality back in?

ironmanco said:
Got an email from Nissan about the re-release of the app (iOS). Here's an excerpt.

"For those of you who have not taken advantage of the NissanConnect EV app to remotely pre-heat and pre-cool your Zero Emissions Nissan LEAF, check your estimated state of charge or start/stop charging, we encourage you to register on the Nissan Owner Portal, download the free app and take advantage of the features NissanConnect EV offers."

see the part that says "start/stop charging"

Anyone see where they added the "start charging" functionality back in?

There's a charge icon at the bottom and when you tap it, you get a screen with the option to start or stop charging remotely.
My car is fully charged now, so I did not see if it works.

jamieo said:
There's a charge icon at the bottom and when you tap it, you get a screen with the option to start or stop charging remotely.
My car is fully charged now, so I did not see if it works.

Really? My screen only shows "start charging" and even quitting the app doesn't make the screen change to "Stop Charging". Are you sure you can stop charging via the app when the car is charging?

BigBlue said:
I can't even connect to my car !!

Not worried about hackers.
That means your area has already taken down the 2G radios. My area was working just fine until a month ago, now 2G is gone and I am unable to connect to the car unless I drive it somewhere else with 2G (like out in the country) and then it works fine again. I think a lot of us are going to start seeing this as the 2G radios disappear from the towers.

Does anyone know if this has been corrected??

I got a2013 SL in March. I set up with Nissan and they required a copy of the sales contract to verify that I now owned the car. I assume their records had the car still with the previous owner. Nissan told me that Nissan Connect EV was not working at that time. I could communicate with my car from the computer but not from a smart phone.

It is clear to me that I am communicating with the Nissan web over the internet and that the car is communicating with the Nissan web over a G2 phone connection. I do not think that a cell phone can communicate directly to the car. So I am guessing that Nissan has added security to their web sites part of the communications.

Nissan now has Nissan Connect EV working again,, but I believe the App is not communicating directly with the Leaf. I Believe all communications are still through the Nissan web site.

Thanks,
Danl

Danl said:
Nissan now has Nissan Connect EV working again,, but I believe the App is not communicating directly with the Leaf. I Believe all communications are still through the Nissan web site.

Nissan has "corrected" the security problem that resulted in disabling the mobile app and it has been working since a new app update last month. If your car/account is properly set up, you should be able to communicate with your Leaf either via web or app.
No one communicates directly with their Leaf; everything goes through a (we hope) secure Nissan server (both ways).

Back