Nissan LEAF Online Research Panel Survey 2/28/2011

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruinLEAFer

Anyone take the new survey today? Any thoughts?

Here is a text dump:
Page 1

Thank you for taking the time to complete this month's Nissan LEAF Online Research Panel Survey. Your feedback has and will continue to shape the way Nissan does business.

Nissan aims to be a leader in Zero Emissions mobility and the development of a sustainable society.  Our goal is to make significant moves in this direction through our products and our actions.   Nissan is currently weighing several environmental initiatives in the United States and would like your feedback on which initiative is most meaningful to you.

Thank you again for your time.

Page 2

Before proceeding, please take some time to read the terms and their definitions supplied below in order to answers the following questions most effectively.

Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs), also known as Green tags, Renewable Energy Credits, or Tradable Renewable Certificates (TRCs), are tradable, non-tangible energy commodities in the United States that represent proof that 1 megawatt-hour (MWh) of (green) electricity was generated from an eligible renewable energy resource such as sunlight, wind, rain, or geothermal heat.  RECs incentivize carbon-neutral, renewable energy by providing a production subsidy to electricity generated from renewable sources.  These certificates can be sold and traded or bartered, and the owner of the REC can claim to have purchased renewable energy.

LEED Certification is a recognition that a construction project or building can attain by utilizing environmentally friendly building practices during construction or remodeling. LEED is the acronym that stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design and is the Green Building Rating System developed by the U.S. Green Building Council. The model was developed in 1998 to encourage environmental awareness amongst government agencies, architects, engineers, developers, and builders.

Looking at the five environmental actions listed below; please rank the actions Nissan can take in order to make the greatest positive impact on the environment. (Please drag and drop the options so 1 is for greatest impact and 5 is least impact)
Nissan purchases enough Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs) so that all the miles driven within the 1st year of Nissan LEAF ownership for LEAFs sold in the United States is done so on certified “clean” energy (i.e. Nissan uses wind, solar, hydroelectric energy).
Nissan partners with a national “green” organization (i.e. Earth Day Network, Sierra Club) to promote environmental awareness and sustainability.
Nissan attains U.S. Green Business Council LEED certification for green building practices at it’s Corporate Facilities (around 10 locations).
Nissan partners with a green organization to plant one tree for every Nissan LEAF sold in a year.
Nissan dealerships sponsor a local park or recreation beautification program.

Page 3

Nissan LEAF Purchase Process and Charging Operations

At which stage are you in the Nissan LEAF purchase process?

Have taken delivery of my Nissan LEAF

Ordered- Will receive in the next 3 months

Ordered- Expected delivery 3-12 months

Placed Reservation- Waiting to order

Placed Reservation- Uncertain if I will order

Waiting to place a reservation when "hold" is lifted, I will place my order as soon as I can

Waiting to place a reservation when "hold" is lifted, however, I am uncertain if I will order

Interested in Nissan LEAF but uncertain if I will order

Do not intend to purchase

Page 4

Please rank the following  attributes about the LEAF purchase experience.
(Please drag each option into your preferred order, 1 being your most favorite)
Amount of LEAF information available on the Nissan website
The LEAF Customer Journey buying experience is Internet-based
Level of engagement by the local dealer
The vehicle is built to my specifications
The home charger purchase and installation process
The online price negotiation process
The vehicle rollout is limited and exclusive

Page 5

Which electric vehicle types would you consider for your next vehicle purchase (or did you consider, if purchasing the LEAF)? (Check all that apply.)

100% battery electric vehicles like the LEAF

Plug-in hybrid electric vehicles like the Volt

Hybrid electric vehicles like the Prius

I don’t understand the difference between the groups

None of the above

To what degree would you seriously consider purchasing or leasing the following vehicles as your next vehicle? (If you have recently purchased or received one of the following vehicles, please select "I am decided - I will purchase or lease")

Toyota Prius

Chevy Volt

Nissan LEAF

I am decided – I will not purchase or lease

Definitely will not seriously consider purchasing or leasing

Probably will not seriously consider purchasing or leasing

Might or might not seriously consider purchasing

Probably will seriously consider purchasing or leasing

Definitely will seriously consider purchasing or leasing

I am decided – I will purchase or lease

When are you most likely to consider ordering a Nissan LEAF for your household?  Would it likely be in...Choose One.

Already ordered or took delivery

The next 3 months

The next 4 months to 6 months

7 to 12 months from now

1 to 2 years from now

3 to 4 years from now

5 years or more

Will not purchase a Nissan LEAF

Not sure

Page 6

Where would you most likely charge your Nissan LEAF if away from home and around a variety of charge stations?

Dealership Electric Charging Station

Local Business Electric Charging Station (Starbucks, Cracker Barrel)

Public Electric Charging Station (Public park, rest area, gov't office building))

Gas Station Electric Charge Station

If you were an electric vehicle owner, what percentage of the time would you expect to charge your vehicle in each of these locations? (Please add to 100%)
At home
At work
At a public charger near home or work
At a public charger that is not near home or work
Total

Page 7

Perception of your social environments' willingness to try alternative fuel engines

What percentage of friends/co-workers/family are interested in EV media and news? (drag the bar to the appropriate percentage marker)
0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100

Friends

Co-Workers

Family

What percentage of friends/co-workers/family might buy an Electric Vehicle for their next car? (drag the bar to the appropriate percentage marker)
0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100

Friends

Co-Workers

Family

Page 8

Do you think the current 100% battery electric vehicle technology meets the day-to-day driving needs of most people you know? (If No, please explain)

Yes

No

I am uncertain

20,000 people have reserved the Nissan LEAF.  What percentage of these people do you think will ultimately buy one? 
(drag the bar to the appropriate percentage marker)
0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 %

What do you feel is keeping others from purchasing an Electric Vehicle?
(Rank the following options by dragging them into the appropriate order with "1" being the top reason for not making an Electric Vehicle purchase)
Improve Battery Technology to Decrease Charge Time
Provide Electric Vehicles with a Lower Price Tag
Prove the LEAF has a Lesser Total Cost to Operate Versus Gasoline Engine Vehicles
Need Cheaper Electric Charger Installation Costs
Need Larger Size of Vehicle and Interior Room
Need Different Body Styles (i.e. SUV)
Need a Greater Top Speed
Need a Further Driving Range
Need a Larger Variety of Electric Vehicle Models
Need a Greater Charging Station Infrastructure Across the Nation
Need to Prove Battery Electric Vehicles are Dependable and Meet Expectations

Page 9

In this year’s State of the Union Address, President Obama announced a goal of putting one million plug-in electric vehicles on the road by 2015.  This is roughly equivalent to the share of hybrid vehicles on the road today.   In how many years do you think U.S. consumers will reach this goal? 
0-3 years
3-5 years
5-10 years
10-20 years
Not within the next 20 years

Please provide insight into why you answered the above question as you have.

Page 10

100% Electric versus Plug-In Hybrid

Are you aware of the differences between a plug-in hybrid and a 100% battery electric vehicle?

Yes

No

Page 11

Of the following technologies, which do you feel is the better long-term solution for the planet's longevity and peoples' commuting needs?

100% Battery Electric Vehicles

Plug-in Hybrid Vehicles

Do you feel more plug-in hybrids will be on the road this year than 100% battery electric vehicles?

Yes

No

Page 12

Luxury Consideration and Segmentation

If an Infiniti luxury electric vehicle were available, to what degree would you consider purchasing or leasing it?

I am decided – I will not purchase or lease
Definitely will not seriously consider purchasing or leasing
Probably will not seriously consider purchasing or leasing
Might or might not seriously consider purchasing
Probably will seriously consider purchasing or leasing
Definitely will seriously consider purchasing or leasing
I am decided – I will purchase or lease
Infiniti Luxury Electric Vehicle

Page 13

Which best describes how you buy new technologies?

Among the first to purchase new innovations and willing to accept the risk inherent in the cutting edge.

An opinion leader for the majority and fast follower of the cutting edge.

Adopt new things once enough time has passed to prove them. Buy new products slightly earlier than most.

Adopt new innovations with skepticism, after they are well-proven. Buy new products slightly later than most.

I almost exclusively buy tried-and-true products.

How many vehicles do you have in your household?

5 or more

How long do you typically keep a vehicle in your household?

Every year or less

Up to 2 years

Up to 3 years

Up to 4 years

Up to 5 years

Up to 6 years

7 or more years

My household has yet to replace a vehicle

Page 14

If you would like to provide any additional feedback regarding the Nissan LEAF or Electric Vehicle technology in general please use the text box below.

Yep, got it, submitted it. Best thing about it was the last page which had a free form page to submit comments. I had a chance for the first time on one of their surveys to complain strongly about the lack of information on order and delivery sequence and timing. I also asked them to make a sports car EV like the ES Flow.

As far as the other questions, I had to smile at their questions about what steps I thought Nissan could take to be more green. I see these as PR steps, stimulated by GM planting trees. I did place the buying of green credits to offset LEAF electricity costs highest, and fixing up local parks lowest.

Boomer23 said:
Yep, got it, submitted it. Best thing about it was the last page which had a free form page to submit comments. I had a chance for the first time on one of their surveys to complain strongly about the lack of information on order and delivery sequence and timing. I also asked them to make a sports car EV like the ES Flow.
+1
Exactly what I did. Forget the Infiniti or SUV, I want an ESFLOW.

TT

Interesting survey.

I placed PR/partnerships high, then green credits/LEED, then the parks and trees. I like parks and trees, but more EVs on the street will do more for them than a quarterly bench painting party. ;)

Not interested in the luxury EV or the SUV/larger vehicles, but would have liked to see an option for a Nissan EV city car.

And - YES I know what a BEV is and NO I don't want a PHEV. :D

The comments block was a nice addition. SHIP MORE CARS! :lol:

ttweed said:
Boomer23 said:
+1
Exactly what I did. Forget the Infiniti or SUV, I want an ESFLOW.

TT

I forgot to mention the eSflow in the comment section, but that would be my preferred small car to go with my Model S family car (or Infinity luxury EV).

was short, sweet and nice.

my interest in an Infinity EV really depends on range. what i really want to do is dump the Prius and get another EV but it will have to have a 300+ mile FREEWAY range before i could do that.

Yes.
I thought the questions on Page 11 were very interesting. While I'm 100% electric all-the-way and hope/think we will get there eventually, I doubt I would be buying one (now) if I didn't have another ICE car in the household (my wife's).

"Green Credits" (REC) are such a crock.
Nissan is making electric cars by the thousands.. that's their 'green' legacy right there.

Who the hell cares what kind of scam they got suckered into with a bunch of expensive intangible credits. They're just going to pass that cost on to the next round of EV buyers, making the cars less attractive. Can't stand this green-washing bent, and hope they get enough survey input to drop the whole eco-everything marketing and focus on making zero-oil EVs instead.

GroundLoop said:
Nissan is making electric cars by the thousands.. that's their 'green' legacy right there.

Who the hell cares what kind of scam they got suckered into with a bunch of expensive intangible credits. They're just going to pass that cost on to the next round of EV buyers, making the cars less attractive. Can't stand this green-washing bent, and hope they get enough survey input to drop the whole eco-everything marketing and focus on making zero-oil EVs instead.

a demand for green credits will allow profitability for renewable energy suppliers. i am guessing they will be priced higher than regular electricity creating a premium pricing model

GroundLoop said:

+1

Nissan Exec: So what did we get in the free format comments field?

Survey Results Guy: Well, let's see, 18000 people said "Let us order the #$%* car!"

:roll:

DaveinOlyWA said:
my interest in an Infinity EV really depends on range. what i really want to do is dump the Prius and get another EV but it will have to have a 300+ mile FREEWAY range before i could do that.
Until battery technology gets 4-5x better (both in energy/weight density and cost) that's pretty unrealistic. I don't see that happening for at least 15 years. Battery tech is only improving about 7% a year, IIRC.

However, a 2x factor in improvement is not that far away - a 150 mi freeway range (50+ kWh battery pack) would be more than sufficient along with DC quick charge stations that can get you to 80% in less than 30 minutes and would satisfy most people.

I also got the survery. Sumarizing my input:

- I also am against "green credits" for several reasons even though I do understand what they are trying to accomplish with them
- Battery technology needs to improve. With today's range (1X), SAM (servicable market) may be 10-15%. 2X will increase that a lot to maybe 50-60%. At 4X (350mi) and infrastructure it goes to 90-99%, IMO.
- Also wished the eSflow was avaiable now.

I also filled out the survey and was very pleased to see the free-form box at the end. I carefully thought of all of the comments I could make about slow delivery, confusing lease arrangements, and horrid dashboard and I settled on telling them that:

Further is figurative, such as "We shall discuss the moving delivery dates further." not as on page 8 of the survey "Need a further driving range."

Farther is actual distance, such or "I wish the Leaf had more battery capacity so I could drive it farther."

Boomer23 said:
I did place the buying of green credits to offset LEAF electricity costs highest, and fixing up local parks lowest.

Interesting. I was 100% opposite. For me - if Nissan wants to do things to be "more green", it would be nice to demonstrate this corporate responsibility on a local level that real people could see, enjoy, and appreciate. While "green credits" may ultimately be "better" for the environment - a nice local park is much easier to understand and enjoy.

Back