Nissan sells 10,000 Leaf EVs (in the US)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
only 50 miles per charge?
There is always something negative in articles about EV.
Venk

"The driving range greatly varies depending on the environment and driving style. For example, the normal mileage rating for the Leaf - according to both the EPA and Nissan - is right at 100 miles per charge. In the sweltering Texas heat, my local dealer tells prospective Leaf buyers to expect about 50 miles per charge."

Its good that the dealer tells them that, they will be happier owners than those that expected a 100 mile commute without recharging.

From what I heard last summer, I don't remember anyone claiming a 50 mile range in the high heat. I remember there being little effect reported, am I remembering wrong?

Herm said:
"The driving range greatly varies depending on the environment and driving style. For example, the normal mileage rating for the Leaf - according to both the EPA and Nissan - is right at 100 miles per charge. In the sweltering Texas heat, my local dealer tells prospective Leaf buyers to expect about 50 miles per charge."

Its good that the dealer tells them that, they will be happier owners than those that expected a 100 mile commute without recharging.

GaslessInSeattle said:
From what I heard last summer, I don't remember anyone claiming a 50 mile range in the high heat. I remember there being little effect reported, am I remembering wrong?

Herm said:

Yes, the air conditioning pump is somewhat efficient, compared to the heater, and the battery only gets "more active" with heat. I didn't start seeing a decline in range (folks, I don't mean CarWings or GuessOmeter range, but actual distance travelled) until well over 90F.

If you didn't run AC, your range would go up.

TomT said:
At Texas highway speeds, that might be about right!

I'll agree with that. Most highways around here in DF/W are going about 70 to 75 mph. Even the right lane is going at or above the speed limit. Running at that speed with the A/C or heater full blast will severely limit the range.

adric22 said:
TomT said:
At Texas highway speeds, that might be about right!

I'll agree with that. Most highways around here in DF/W are going about 70 to 75 mph. Even the right lane is going at or above the speed limit. Running at that speed with the A/C or heater full blast will severely limit the range.

Let me ask you this: I am 250 miles north from DFW, my car is from TX, and I driving 78 miles every other day (2 trips 60 miles and 18 miles, 70% of that on I35), wonder if I can use Leaf for whole trip during summer or I have to switch back to gas car? What will be advice from "my local dealer" assuming that he wants to sell me a next TX Leaf.

I think number of Leaf sold in USA is much more than "magical" 10K. Nissan reported 10K on January 3, 2012. http://nissannews.com/pressrelease/3158/185/first-nissan-leaf-owner-colorado-says-i-believe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

50 miles range is what I've been getting with my normal driving during winter in my area, so I that's exactly what I've been telling people to expect in terms of range. If someone decided to buy one based on my recommendation they would only be pleasantly surprised if they get more then 50 miles in winter months.

IBELEAF said:
50 miles range is what I've been getting with my normal driving during winter in my area, so I that's exactly what I've been telling people to expect in terms of range. If someone decided to buy one based on my recommendation they would only be pleasantly surprised if they get more then 50 miles in winter months.

Is this on a 100% to Low Battery Warning? (if not please explain)

Also, what is your average miles/kWh on these 50 mile range charges?

Thanks in advance for the information!

I rarely drop below 2 bars and I mainly charge to 80%. Actually, I haven't even looked at my average, but what I do know is my daily commute of 20-25 miles uses about 5-6 bars (60% hwy at average 65 mph, plenty of hills, and heater on), so that's roughly half the range right there.

6 bars is not 50% of the battery capacity. 7 bars is the best number for 50%. The energy per bar is not the same in all the bars. I noticed that the lower 5 bars have more energy per bar than the upper 7. The best way to predict range is to use the miles/kW.h and multiply per 21 kW.h (derate this value by 1% for each 2ºC below 20ºC).

Thanks for the info. That means 1% drop for every 4% below 68%. So if the temp is a nice warm winter 40% that's 7% so you should get about a 78 mile range without heater @ 4 miles/kW. I didn't know 68% was the base number. :p

As they say YMMV, I don’t know the temps and number of hills in TX, but for my area I will stick with 50 miles range as worst case scenario for winter months. Also, I don’t really have a habit of driving the car into Turtle mode and my driving style is nowhere near hyper miler style, so that also adds up to my rough estimate..

EdmondLeaf said:
what I can say Texas State Troopers like I35 very much, and max is still 70 mph with 60 mph in quite few places
It is 75 for one stretch now. It will going to 75 in a lot more places: http://www.txdot.gov/news/002-2012.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back