Nissan's 'Drive Electric' tour!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we all had the same problem with getting to the Leaf tour..Im cheap and parked a mile away with all the other free parking cheap people :D I got the high five guy also,I thought he knew a lot about the Leaf and the chargers and was very entertaining..The Nissan copilot was pretty and she knew all the basic stuff ...I was really hoping that there would be someone there that could tell me what month i could possibly get the Leaf..

The Ecotality chargers will soon be found at all the Bestbuys stores and Cracker Barrels restaurants..Was it here that I read that Eco. will offer $40 a month unlimited charges..Could you imagine taking the family all over the USA in a Leaf for just $40 ...I spend $25 a week in gas for the Prius..$46 a week in the Avalon...
In 10 years every business will have a car charger in its parking lot...Every restaurant you go to eat at will have a charger in its parking lot...I wonder if Saudi Arabia will ever want a electric car :D

mark13 said:
I think we all had the same problem with getting to the Leaf tour..Im cheap and parked a mile away with all the other free parking cheap people :D I got the high five guy also,I thought he knew a lot about the Leaf and the chargers and was very entertaining..The Nissan copilot was pretty and she knew all the basic stuff ...I was really hoping that there would be someone there that could tell me what month i could possibly get the Leaf..

The Ecotality chargers will soon be found at all the Bestbuys stores and Cracker Barrels restaurants..Was it here that I read that Eco. will offer $40 a month unlimited charges..Could you imagine taking the family all over the USA in a Leaf for just $40 ...I spend $25 a week in gas for the Prius..$46 a week in the Avalon...
In 10 years every business will have a car charger in its parking lot...Every restaurant you go to eat at will have a charger in its parking lot...I wonder if Saudi Arabia will ever want a electric car :D

LOL, not all of us. Gonewild and I drove to a 'park 'n ride' FREE parking lot, then boarded the light rail to 3rd St. and Mill, just two blocks from the event. The light rail has a total of 20 miles east to west into Phoenix and only costs $3.50 for an ALL day pass.

Desertstraw said:
LeafFan. Do you really raise the seat by your procedure or just sit straighter? I have had a Prius for ten years and was disappointed by the lower seating in the Leaf.

You actually raise the seat by turning the 'wheel' on the side all the way counter-clockwise (forward) and then move your seatback forward so it's more upright by lifting the lever next to the wheel. I can tell you that it makes a BIG difference on seating height. The reason I know this is because my Honda Civic GX has exactly the same kind of adjustments, but I noticed how much higher I sit in the LEAF.

It is unlikely that you will want to tour very far if you have to wait 6 to 8 hours for a re-charge after each hour of driving, even if the charging was free.

How often will you really want to spend $40 a month to spend 60-80 hours waiting/shopping doing 10 re-charges at $4 each?

If such a charge-point is very near your work, and not occupied when you arrive, and the "owner" does not mind providing all-day, non-customer parking, ... the subscription would be a lot more useful. But, if there are enough of them ... maybe.

I suspect I will use QC (L3) more often than L2-in-public, although the EV-spaces might provide convenient parking for some who do not really need to charge.

6-8 hours to charge ? Im not talking about the home chargers...The public commercial chargers will take 15-30 minutes to charge your car..Im already planning a AZ to Cal trip this summer..A 12 hour round trip ...I figure I will need to charge the car about 12 times including all the cruising around San Diego..

mark13 said:
6-8 hours to charge ? Im not talking about the home chargers...The public commercial chargers will take 15-30 minutes to charge your car..Im already planning a AZ to Cal trip this summer..A 12 hour round trip ...I figure I will need to charge the car about 12 times including all the cruising around San Diego..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything I've read and seen from videos, articles, and from a Nissan official says the Leaf can only be charged with Level 3 fast charge 1-2 times a day at most in order to preserve battery integrity and not void the warranty.

Tucson Drive Electric Tour - this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday

at the 4th Avenue Winter Street Fair
Downtown Tucson
Along Fourth Avenue between Ninth Street and University Blvd.

Is anyone going Friday morning? My drive time is at 8 am. I want to get there early before the street fair people begin to arrive because the booths open at 10 am. I would like to spend some time in the parked LEAF. Our time was very limited in Phoenix last weekend. I thought I'd take some MyNissanLeaf.com cards to hand out to people who have ordered too. I'm wondering if I'll see my dealer there or do you think the LEAF's might be at the dealer's for charging?

Please let me know if you're going to be there. I would like to meet some other forum members there. Only 3 of us have ever identified ourselves as residents of the Tucson area.

gasmiser1 said:
Everything I've read and seen from videos, articles, and from a Nissan official says the Leaf can only be charged with Level 3 fast charge 1-2 times a day at most in order to preserve battery integrity and not void the warranty.

I believe you've misunderstood. I talked with Mark Perry last Friday and he said it is okay to DC (fast) charge 3 or 4 times in a day if necessary, such as going on an extended trip, just don't fast charge it EVERY day...that's the key. ONCE a day fast charging is okay. He said it will not void the warranty or cause damage if it is done once a month or less. For me, those extended trips would only be about two or three times a year.

LEAFfan said:
gasmiser1 said:

I believe you've misunderstood. I talked with Mark Perry last Friday and he said it is okay to DC (fast) charge 3 or 4 times in a day if necessary, such as going on an extended trip, just don't fast charge it EVERY day...that's the key. ONCE a day fast charging is okay. He said it will not void the warranty or cause damage if it is done once a month or less. For me, those extended trips would only be about two or three times a year.

This is another example of Nissan failing to properly inform its customers. I don't want a "Nissan official" or somebody who talked to Mark Perry, I want Nissan to put out an official statement on fast charging and any limitations on it. The car is being sold this week, let us have all the facts.

Azrich said:
Tucson Drive Electric Tour - this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday
Please let me kno if you're going to be there. I would like to meet some other forum members there. Only 3 of us have ever identified ourselves as residents of the Tucson area.
I am scheduled for Saturday at 10 am. I will be wearing my "I get my power from the sun" shirt.

LEAFfan said:
gasmiser1 said:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wow-so hard to believe even a regional Nissan official. I wish they'd release the Leaf owners manual once and for all.

If it's true we can DC(fast) charge 3-4 times once a month for a trip, that's awesome.

Do not expect many "Interstate" QC stations by next summer.

The trip from Phoenix to LA or San Diego might require a QC every 60 miles, so perhaps 5 or 6 QCs for the trip, and another to go anywhere after you get here.

Indeed, we need MORE than "an occasional 3 or 4 QCs" to help us decide how to use the LEAF without damaging its battery. Perhaps some battery high-temperature limit?

Doesn't the LEAF protect its own battery?
If not, how will WE be able to avoid "abusing" the battery?

Thanks for the update on the QuickCharge ..Im very dissapointed in learning this :cry: I had expected some QCs at restaurants between Phx and SanDiego by the end of summer.. Looks like i will still be dependent on a old fashion gas station and that stuff I think they call gasoline...
$91 for a barrel of oil now :evil:

The car was simply not designed or marketed with this in mind. Even if the chargers were in place, stopping every 70 miles or so for a half an hour simply makes no sense to me. I'll be using my gas car for that.

mark13 said:
Thanks for the update on the QuickCharge ..Im very dissapointed in learning this :cry: I had expected some QCs at restaurants between Phx and SanDiego by the end of summer.. Looks like i will still be dependent on a old fashion gas station and that stuff I think they call gasoline...

garygid said:
Do not expect many "Interstate" QC stations by next summer.
The trip from Phoenix to LA or San Diego might require a QC every 60 miles, so perhaps 5 or 6 QCs for the trip, and another to go anywhere after you get here.

I believe I'll be able to stretch the miles beyond 60 without a problem ( don't use A/C or heat) and then would need a QC every 90 miles so that would be only 4 total (about 300 mi. to San Diego).

LEAFfan said:
I believe I'll be able to stretch the miles beyond 60 without a problem ( don't use A/C or heat) and then would need a QC every 90 miles so that would be only 4 total (about 300 mi. to San Diego).
Let's see: QC is 80%, and below about 5% you are in turtle mode, so you're going to get your 90 miles on 75% of the full charge? That means you have hypermile at a rate of 120 miles per full charge. You'd better hold your speed down to 50. Oh, and good luck convincing the people planning for QC stations that there are a bunch more people like you out there so that it would make sense to put them exactly 90 miles apart.

I read that tentative spacing of QC stations might be 30 miles.

One would NEED to be able to query the "operational" status of all the route's QC stations BEFORE starting on the trip.

At 60 miles, EVERY station would need to be operating, or travel would be blocked.

Long uphill climbs might need a QC at the bottom.

Of course, the selected locations need "serious" electricity, and possibly access for traffic from both directions.

garygid said:
I read that tentative spacing of QC stations might be 30 miles.
When Oregon announced their DC Quick Charge project with ECOtality, they stated the maximum spacing would be 60 miles. Based on the map they released, it definitely jives with that...

planet4ever said:
LEAFfan said:
Let's see: QC is 80%, and below about 5% you are in turtle mode, so you're going to get your 90 miles on 75% of the full charge? That means you have hypermile at a rate of 120 miles per full charge. You'd better hold your speed down to 50. Oh, and good luck convincing the people planning for QC stations that there are a bunch more people like you out there so that it would make sense to put them exactly 90 miles apart.

Like I said, no problem. Btw, they are going to be 30 miles apart. :)

Back