Nissan's Included L1 (120v) EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jacobp said:
Can someone confirm the actual length of this cable. I am installing a dedicated line this week and I need to know how long this cable is. Thanks.
You are asking for the length of the cable from the EVSE to the J1772 connector, right? I just measured mine at roughly 22 feet, but since it has been doubled up in the back of the car for the last three months it wasn't really straight. It's probably about 23 feet, plus 10 inches for the EVSE plus 10 inches for the part that plugs into the wall.

I do not recommend GeekEV's suggestion of using an extension cord. The electrical code says the EVSE must be within a foot of the wall plug, and that is because the special safety features apply between the EVSE and the car, but not between the EVSE and the wall. Figure out a way to suspend or hook the EVSE close to the outlet.

Ray

Hello all,

Just got my leaf this past weekend and have been solely using the L1 EVSE. I'm thinking it's sufficient for my needs, and was wondering if it's

1)better to leave it plugged in at all times even when not in use
2)unplug when not in use
3)install a switch that can kill the power to the outlet the EVSE is plugged in to (rather than unplugging when not in use)

I charge outside over night.

Let me know what you think of these options.

Thanks,
Jeff

One Leaf driver at my office has left his L1 unit plugged into an outlet in the parking garage (in what he considers 'his' space, and being high up enough in the company he can pull that stunt off) for about 4 months now. No problems seen with it so far. He just unplugs from the car (but not the wall), hangs it on a nearby conduit and drives home each night.

Of all those options, I'd recommend leaving it plugged in. There is a low amount of standby draw, but it's less than most appliances these days. Our upgrade reduces the standby consumption enough the we recommend people leave the unit plugged in all the time if possible. Plugs/Sockets were not made for daily connect/disconnect and will wear out rapidly.

-Phil

mine only gets unplugged when i plan to use it on the road (3 times in past 2 months) otherwise, its plugged in and routed behind a metal shelving system which makes it a pain to remove anyway but keeps cord out of the way.

azrael1234 said:
Hello all,

Just got my leaf this past weekend and have been solely using the L1 EVSE. I'm thinking it's sufficient for my needs, and was wondering if it's

At first I had planned to use only L1 charging myself. But my dilemma was this. I wanted to always have the L1 EVSE in the back of the car for a possible emergency or unplanned charging session. However, it was really annoying winding the cable back up every day. So I figured I could just buy a second L1 EVSE and mount it on the wall in the garage and buy some kind of hook or something at Home Depot for the J1772 connector to hang nice and neat. However, when I found out the cost of buying another L1 EVSE, it really didn't make sense. So I just bought the L2 EVSE instead for just a bit more money.

However, as I stated in another thread a few days ago, after having the car for 6 months I have only used the L1 outside of home on one occasion and didn't really even need it then. So I guess my newbie range-anxiety lead me to the belief that I always needed the L1 EVSE with me for unplanned charges.

Is the included EVSE water resistant only? Mine has been modified for L2 or L1 by Evseupgrade.com. I am using red boxes for my cord connections that were suggested somewhere on this forum. The manuals with the car say do not submerege the box in one area and then in the other it says do not expose to wind and rain. I have my EVSE box in a tupperware container with some holes in it if water gets into it and to displace some heat, to withstand 9 hours of rain while L1 charging, is this ok? How are people protecting their EVSE box from the elements?

ColumbiaRiverGorge said:
Is the included EVSE water resistant only? Mine has been modified for L2 or L1 by Evseupgrade.com. I am using red boxes for my cord connections that were suggested somewhere on this forum. The manuals with the car say do not submerege the box in one area and then in the other it says do not expose to wind and rain. I have my EVSE box in a tupperware container with some holes in it if water gets into it and to displace some heat, to withstand 9 hours of rain while L1 charging, is this ok? How are people protecting their EVSE box from the elements?
The J1772 connector and cable should be perfectly safe outdoors. If I were doing a permanent outdoor install of one, I think I would put the EVSE and it's wall connection in lockable box, for protection from the elements, to prevent theft, and to keep the young or stupid from messing with it. For occasional use where I can keep an eye out, keeping the box and connections out of puddles should be sufficient. Your arrangements sound more than adequate.

The EVSE should withstand casual exposure to the elements, but if you are doing something semi-permanent, I agree; install a box. Our tests show the unit is well protected from rain, and would survive just rain, but as they mention in the manual, definitely don't submerge it!

You also want to be absolutely sure the L6-20 connection is protected from moisture, as there is no GFCI protection here, unless you install one up-line.

-Phil

Could you elaborate more on the "red box" I'm planning on doing something similar, but didn't see those posts (did a search just now and nothing came up).

Thanks,
Jeff

All,

Anyone know what happens if you unplug the EVSE from the wall prior to unplugging from the LEAF? Another variable is 1) while it's charging 2) after it's done charging.

Jeff

Volusiano said:
And if you unplug the EVSE from the wall after it's done charging, then nothing happens.

not quite sure what you think might happen but its nothing more than the cutting the power source. the car can handle it if that is what you are worried about.

i went camping back in July and plugged into the campsite and it tripped the breaker about 3-4 times until the circuit "warmed" up. ok maybe that is not the right terminology.

but i plugged it in, got notification on my phone 20 minutes later the car had stopped charging. checked it, reset breaker and restarted charging. that lasted 15 minutes, tripped again. so reset it, it ran about 20-30 minutes. it tripped, i reset it, then it charged 10 hours until morning when i unplugged it with about a 90% charge.

davewill said:
Unplugging from the wall while charging could cause arcing in the outlet. One should always unplug from the car first.
This is correct, NEVER unplug from the wall while the LEAF is charging, always unplug the J1772 handle first.

That being said, if it accidentally happens a few times, it's not a concern.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
davewill said:
Unplugging from the wall while charging could cause arcing in the outlet. One should always unplug from the car first.
This is correct, NEVER unplug from the wall while the LEAF is charging, always unplug the J1772 handle first.

-Phil
Interesting, I sort of assumed this was the best way to disconnect the EVSE, but it's good to hear it from a qualified source.

surfingslovak said:
Ingineer said:
davewill said:

-Phil
Interesting, I sort of assumed this was the best way to disconnect the EVSE, but it's good to hear it from a qualified source.

the EVSE is designed to be plugged and unplugged from the Car over and over. the wall plug is not.

and of course, arcing is always a possible concern although i would not lose any sleep over it.

azrael1234 said:
All,

Anyone know what happens if you unplug the EVSE from the wall prior to unplugging from the LEAF? Another variable is 1) while it's charging 2) after it's done charging.

Jeff
The others are right, nothing really happens. BUT, if you unplug from the wall while it's charging the car will see that as a failed charge. You'll get a charging interrupted notice from CARWINGS if you have that turned on and you'll also get the yellow triangle and yellow car on the dash. But that will go away on the next restart.

I thought the contactor in the EVSE was supposed to open when you pressed the release button on the nozzle to avoid arcing at the nozzle. This morning my charging hadn't quite finished getting back to the 80% level (but close enough for my needs today) so I thought I would check this. But when I held down the release button on the nozzle the light on top of the dash kept right on flashing.

Back