No 2013 SL Premiums Left?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anwallen

According to the dealer we went to, there are currently no 2013 leaf SL's with premium package left in the country, regardless of color, and there likely won't be any for a while.

I was a bit disappointed, but the premium package was really just a geek toy for me. Surprisingly, it seemed like there were a ton of non-premium SLs around.

My wife is determined that a backup camera is a necessary feature (always kids behind the car at his school), so we asked them to confirm the non-premium SL had one (the documentation does not explicitly say one way or the other). The dealer decided that the SL did have the camera, so we negotiated to get an SL in our second choice color and put down a deposit. The next day, the dealer called to let us know that they couldn't get that one, but they found an SL in our desired color--still no premium package. This morning they called to tell us the car arrived, but the SL does not in fact come with a back-up camera, so we'd have to get an aftermarket camera.

I noticed on the forums there are some instructions for wiring an aftermarket camera direct to the nav screen, so I'd be willing to do that myself, maybe see if they'll throw in the kit for free and I can do the install.

This all seems very suspicious to me, and the dealer did not do much to inspire confidence in their honesty/competence, so I put it to the forum:
1. Are the 2013 Premium SL's really sold out or was the dealer just blowing smoke trying to clear stock from a partner?
2. Did Nissan really make a model with leather seats and no backup camera? That just seems crazy, I guess it is to force you into the premium package, but if there are none available it just seems like poor planning.
3. Has anyone tried the backup camera mod on the 2013 SL? Or does anyone have the tech manuals for it?

******************* UPDATE**************************
Bill from Marlboro Nissan set me up. We were able to purchase a Silver SL with Premium (we pick it up on Wednesday) :D .

Summary of the responses:
1. The first dealer was incorrect. Marlboro Nissan on Rt. 20 (MA) seems to have a fairly steady stream of them coming in.
2. Yup. There is no backup camera only option on the SV or SL. Only All-around view as part of the premium package See the Full option matrix
3. Didn't really get an answer for this, but it is a moot point for me as I was able to get an SL with premium (which is what we wanted to begin with).

Some dealers will tell you anything to make a quick sale. Take your time and shop around.

If you add city and state to your profile information, you will get much better answers to questions like this.

As of today there are 10 premium SL with all around cameras listed on cars.com. I believe dealers have more than that number

anwallen said:
2. Did Nissan really make a model with leather seats and no backup camera? That just seems crazy, I guess it is to force you into the premium package, but if there are none available it just seems like poor planning.

If I remember right, MY2013 has better camera (that shows everything around, also in front, not just back) so it simply doesn't need backup camera - I guess this is a reason. You just don't need backup camera because you have better one.

No way would I buy a new car and mod it with a camera into the NAV just because the lame dealer was unwilling to get you the option package you want.
Go to a different dealer.

KJD said:
Some dealers will tell you anything to make a quick sale. Take your time and shop around.

If you add city and state to your profile information, you will get much better answers to questions like this.

+1. i sold cars, it was our standard line. last thing they will do is direct you to another lot

Try Marlboro Nissan on Rt. 20. They're my favorite after shopping around here. Jim McCall is the Leaf guy. They'll deal by email, are laid back, and are pretty aggressive on price. I never even met them until I went in to sign papers.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
You can only get the "Around-View Monitor" as an option on the SL. (Or the SV.)

If you want the "Rear View Monitor" it's only available as an option on the S.

Yeah, I know about the around-view, that's part of the premium package, which the dealer claimed was unavailable. Without that there is apparently no way to get a rear-view camera outside of an aftermarket mod.

I'll give Marlboro Nissan a try.
I found out today, thanks to the forums, that we are eligible for the VPP, so we are trying to get the car before the invoice - 1000 rate expires (at the end of the month).
Thanks.

don't bother with an after market mod, be patient, go for the works, it's worth every penny! I'd go for a 2012 SL with camera before I'd go with a 2013 without.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11192" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You'll find all the options listed in the first post.

At worst you have to wait a couple weeks until they build you exactly what you want. In the meantime, you can get your EVSE installed.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
If you want the "Rear View Monitor" it's only available as an option on the S.

Am I reading this correctly? Can you not get the rear-view camera on the SV or SL in the 2013 without paying extra and getting the 360 view (which comes with the stupid sub-woofer that uses up some trunk space)?

So it appears....

gsleaf said:
Am I reading this correctly? Can you not get the rear-view camera on the SV or SL in the 2013 without paying extra and getting the 360 view (which comes with the stupid sub-woofer that uses up some trunk space)?

Or just add a camera if you have navigation. It's supported by the nav/radio head unit - just have to buy the hatch handle with the hole in it (about $100) and put in a $25 camera.

Back