No Charge fail L1 & L2, but QC works!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you verified that you can not charge at the public L2 when no DTCs are showing? I still think its plausible that your L1 EVSE issue was causing both problems.

Here's my understanding of your timeline:
- L1 takes multiple tries to successfully charge
- L1 not charging, L2 won't charge (DTCs probably present but not checked)
- successful charge on QC (doesn't use OBC, so not presumably not blocked by DTCs)
- LeafSpy reports B29C1 DTC
- DTCs reset by 12V disconnect
- L1 charge failed, but no DTCs (probably due to L1 issues, but did not trigger specific condition for DTC)
- L2 charge succeeded
- L1 charge starts, unplugged, plugged back in, L1 fails (Did you check DTCs again at the this point?)
- L2 charge fails (DTC status unknown)
- L1 charge starts, but failed (DTC status unknown)
- confirmed issue with L1 charger
- No DTCs

When DTC B29C1 is present, OBC is in failsafe mode which usually prevents L1/L2 charging. B29C1 is not a failsafe condition for the VCM, so QC should not be affected. Clearing DTCs or disconnecting 12V are one way to clear, but the code may also clear or become non-active under other conditions (perhaps a certain number of restarts or charge attempts without the error condition re-appearing).

I think this was what you are planning anyway, but I would make sure all DTCs are clear and then exclusively use a known good EVSE to see if the problem comes back. I would also check DTCs before and after each charge, even if everything seems ok so you'll know when exactly they come back if they do.

Good luck,

Rob

Thanks Rob... L2 charging has been fine at known good public stations...

To post an update, the original EVSE brick was repaired by the folks at EVSE upgrade... Diagnosis was a broken pilot wire due to kinking cord... As of now the EVSE brick works fine... All charging has been fine.

A slight mystery is the failure to charge on L2 at a public station... As Rob mentioned, there might have been an error code preventing such charging, but I am wondering if the City of SM simply powers these units off during park closure hours... Next time I am out very late I may try and see.

Alls well that ends well... Thanks to EVSE upgrade for the $75 all in fix, and to forum members who devoted mental energy towards a solution...

With appreciation, Jim

Back