No quick chargers in SC due to stupid laws!!!!! AAAAARRRRGGG

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had my Leaf for 2 weeks now, and love every minute of it! I was talking to my dealer and found out that there are no CHAdeMO Quick chargers in South Carolina because the law says that the "OFFICIAL" utility companies are the only ones who can sell electricity by the KWH. So far none of them want to. Pretty lame if you ask me. Are other states similar in antiquated laws, or is my state the only one stuck in 1920?

2013 Leaf S with QC package and rearview camera.
Black in color
Leased for 36 mo.
Picked up 05/21/2014
522 miles as of 06/03/2014
haven't bought gas for my ice truck since bringing home the leaf!!! :D

That's easy....Don't charge by the kwh....Charge by the minute, or charge by the session, or like eVgo here, charge for a session and then so many cents per minute, or charge per month like a gym membership, etc....There are many ways to skin the cat....

Of course, no matter how much they charge, they are unlikely to recoup the cost of the station and the electricity unless there is some sort of grant or government money behind it. The AVERAGE cost for hardware and installation for Nissan's inexpensive DC Fast Charge unit is $49,000 (according to a Nissan presentation at the Plugin 2013 conference). You can't pay that money back by charging a couple of bucks per use...

Subsailortrainman said:
...the law says that the "OFFICIAL" utility companies are the only ones who can sell electricity by the KWH... Are other states similar in antiquated laws, or is my state the only one stuck in 1920?
Most states have this law. I think all of them did until 2012 when CA got it changed and OR and others followed suit. However, I don't know of any public EVSE service providers that charge fees by the kWh (my work does but that is not public). The EVSE providers either charge a per minute access fee (typical for Level 2 and it does not matter if you are pulling 3.3kW, 6.6kW, or 0 kW during that minute). Or they charge a flat fee per access (typically for DCQC at $5 to $8 per session regardless of how long or how many kWh total). Or the 3rd option I've seen is a monthly membership fee and no limit to access (Level 2 and/or DCQC).

So *this* is not what is keeping charging from proliferating in SC.

Back