no sound using USB port

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willingp

Is it just me or does anyone else have the problem that the USB port sometimes doesn't play after stopping the car, turning off power, and then resuming---audio screen shows seconds ticking away of the piece that's playing, but there's no sound, when volume indicator shows there should be. Usually, if I unplug the device and plug back in, sound resumes. This has happened with THREE different devices:
--USB key
--iPod nano
--iPhone 4s.

The problem is so bad I have resorted to using the AUX port instead; no problems there (but of course also no charging, no Leaf touch screen functions). It does not work to switch to FM and back to iPod.

I've been using a USB key for a few weeks; no problems so far. It can take a few seconds to "read USB memory" or some such before it starts playing, but it eventually starts. Before the USB I was playing off the iPhone with bluetooth.

I have this issue with mine. I have to unplug and plug back in my iPhone to get audio to work. This happens even after I plug in the phone after hopping in the car and starting everything up. It will play audio for half a second then mute. In the 2011 demo car that I rented for two days, I had no issues. :(

I've switched to bluetooth audio for my iPhone 4 and trying out XM radio a bit.

Jeremy

I had a similar issue over a year ago when I first got my car. The dealer wound up replacing the head unit...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3062" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GeekEV said:
I had a similar issue over a year ago when I first got my car. The dealer wound up replacing the head unit...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3062" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ugh. That doesn't sound fun. My issue is the same as the OP though, where the seconds will tick, but no audio out. Unplugging and plugging back in seems to fix it, but is of course a PITA. I tend to use Pandora, but it happens with the vanilla music app too.

If only XM wasn't so dang compressed... :roll:

Jeremy

I have a USB "thumb drive" in my port full of music that always stays there. In 17 months it hasn't "missed a beat", and plays faithfully when I start the car.

Note, when I first got the car, I tried to charge an iPhone and play music through the USB cable and I had some hassle with that where it would switch from "USB mode" to "Bluetooth mode" and not switch back. I think when I got a phone call it would get confused if it was supposed to play the phone music through Bluetooth or the files from the phone through USB.

Anyways, I got a cigarette adapter to USB, and now only charge the phone that way, and no more hassles going between phone and music.
When a phone call interrupts (and stops the thumb drive music playback) it now resumes right where it left off on the USB as soon as the call is over.
Also, if I want to give a backseat passenger music DJ responsibilities, I just hand them the phone and have them start playing the phone music library over Bluetooth instead of my personal tunes in the flash memory still plugged in up front.

Mine does the same. 2012 less than 200 miles on car. I've found it's the cable that messes up. It did this is my other aftermarket head unit in our Subaru with the same USB cord (also aftermarket brand). Unplug and plugin is a PITA! I like that USB thumb drive idea, that way there is no cord flopping.

This has only happened with my iPhone and the reason is it sometimes switches to bluetooth audio. The fix is to plug in the phone after the car is on and the bluetooth connection is established.

If your device has a bluetooth connection to the car you can easily verify this by switching the Leaf to bluetooth input during the silence. If you suddenly hear audio then the above scenario is what is happening.

For non-bluetooth devices everything generally works. Occasionally it doesn't connect right and i have to unplug and plug in but it's rare.

Back