Obama for changing the $7,500 tax credit to a tax rebate ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the Office of the White House:

FACT SHEET: President Obama’s Plan to Make the U.S. the First Country to
Put 1 Million Advanced Technology Vehicles on the Road
In 2008, the President set an ambitious goal of putting 1 million advanced technology vehicles on the road by 2015 – which would reduce dependence on foreign oil and lead to a reduction in oil consumption of about 750 million barrels through 2030. To reach that goal, President Obama will propose in his Budget a new effort to win the future by supporting advanced technology vehicle manufacturing and adoption in the U.S. through new consumer rebates, investments in R&D, and competitive programs to encourage communities that invest in advanced technology vehicle infrastructure.

· Making electric vehicles more affordable with a rebate up to $7,500: The President is proposing to transform the existing $7,500 tax credit for electric vehicles into a rebate that will be available to all consumers immediately at the point of sale.

· Advancing innovative technologies through new R&D investments: Building on Recovery Act investments, the President’s Budget proposes enhanced R&D investments in electric drive, batteries, and energy storage technologies.

· Rewarding communities that invest in electric vehicle infrastructure through competitive grants: To provide an incentive for communities to invest in EV infrastructure and remove regulatory barriers, the President is proposing a new initiative that will provide grants to up to 30 communities that are prioritizing advanced technology vehicle deployment. This approach builds on bipartisan ideas and proposals.

The President’s New Initiatives to Support Advanced Technology Vehicles
The President’s Budget proposes to make the United States the world’s leader in manufacturing and deploying next-generation vehicle technologies through three new initiatives, expanding funding for vehicle technologies by almost 90 percent to nearly $590 million and enhancing existing tax incentives:

· Making electric vehicles more affordable and accessible for American consumers: A transformation of the existing $7,500 tax credit into a rebate will give consumers the ability to receive this benefit at the point of sale, similar to “Cash for Clunkers”. The current individual credit will be reformed into a tax credit claimable by dealers or financers with clear transparency requirements to ensure the benefit of the credit is passed on to consumers.

· Advancing innovative vehicle and battery technologies through increased R&D: Increased investments in R&D will be critical to the deployment of new technology. ARRA and prior year investments are already making progress on advanced technology vehicles through research initiatives like an ARPA-E grant to develop a battery that will go 300 miles on a single charge. This year’s Budget will significantly broaden R&D investments in technologies like batteries and electric drives – including an over 30% increase in support for vehicle technology R&D and a new Energy Innovation Hub devoted to improving batteries and energy storage for vehicles and beyond.

· Rewarding communities for leadership in reducing regulatory barriers and developing comprehensive electric vehicle-friendly infrastructure: The Department of Energy is beginning a competitive program to help communities across the country become early adopters of electric vehicles through regulatory streamlining, infrastructure investments, vehicle fleet conversions, deployment of EV incentives (e.g., parking, HOV access) partnerships with major employers/retailers, and workforce training. The FY 2012 Budget will expand this initiative so that that up to 30 communities across the country would receive grants of up to $10 million each on the basis of their ability to demonstrate concrete reforms and use the funds to help catalyze electric vehicle deployment.

Building on Progress
The Administration has taken aggressive steps to reduce dependence on foreign oil, including strong fuel economy standards for cars and trucks, and significant investment in biofuels. This initiative builds on that commitment, and on our significant investments in vehicle technology, to-date.
Recovery Act investments that have already transformed the advanced vehicle industry in the U.S.: ARRA included $2.4 billion for battery and electric drive component manufacturing, and for electric drive demonstration and infrastructure – investments that are already transforming the advanced vehicle batteries industry in the US.

· Recovery Act investments have significantly increased U.S. manufacturing capability for advanced technology vehicle batteries: In 2009, the U.S. had only two factories manufacturing advanced vehicle batteries that power advanced technology vehicles and produced less than two percent of the world’s advanced batteries.

· Recovery Act investments will help cut battery costs in half, and make the U.S. a global leader in advanced battery production: As a result, in just the next few years, battery costs are expected to drop by half (2009-2013), the United States will be able to produce enough batteries and components to support 500,000 plug-in and hybrid vehicles and will have the capacity to produce 40 percent of the world’s advanced batteries (2015). The Recovery Act is also supporting the deployment of infrastructure for advanced technology vehicles.

· Upgrading the Federal Fleet: GSA is preparing an initial purchase of 100 plug-in hybrid electric vehicles that are anticipated to be delivered in 2011 together with more than 40,000 alternative-fueled and fuel-efficient vehicles that will replace aging and less-efficient sedans, trucks, tankers, and wreckers for Federal agencies across the country. GSA’s investments in cleaner vehicle technologies help to spur growth in the emerging domestic plug-in hybrid electric vehicle market.
###

Thanks for the detailed information Ready2plugin! I really hope this legislation passes. It's a bit harder for me to justify purchasing the LEAF since I have a relatively new 2008 Civic, but that instant $7500 rebate would really entice me to ditch the Civic ICE for LEAF EV :D

I see no reason why a purchase of an electric vehicle needs to be limited to the wealthy. Making the $7500 a rebate instead of a tax credit will make an electric car much more affordable for those of us who don't have that much of a tax liability. Without having to resort to a lease. So I'm glad the president has proposed this, and I hope it will pass into law before my Leaf arrives! :)

How will this work for those of us who just bought a car this year?

Any idea's?

Will the credit be changed on your 2011 taxes we file in April of 2012?

If this does go through I seriously doubt it would apply to those that have already purchased and taken delivery of their Leaf.

Spies said:
If this does go through I seriously doubt it would apply to those that have already purchased and taken delivery of their Leaf.
I agree, we most likely will have to wait until 2012 when we file our taxes.

Ready2plugin said:
Spies said:
I agree, we most likely will have to wait until 2012 when we file our taxes.
That is all I want is to be able to claim the missing money I was not able to get out of the $7,500

Jimmydreams said:
Sadly, Smidge, you're not alone. Not by a long shot. And the Gov't relies on this.....you don't notice the $500/month they take, so $6,000 in taxes.....eh no big deal.

Imagine how upset you'd be if on April 15th each year, the Gov't sent you a bill for $6,000. You (and the rest of the country) would go ballistic!!! It's 'death by a thousand cuts'. :evil:
Oh, no, I'm well aware a nontrivial chunk of my pay goes to the government. I was just under the impression that if you got a federal rebate every year you were somehow not able to cash in on the $7,500 incentive.

I actually don't mind paying taxes that much. The vast majority of my work has been on public works projects (school construction, specifically) which is all funded by taxes one way or another. That means my paycheck is essentially everyone else's tax money. I know my taxes go to pay for a lot of things I do not approve of, but I'm not so disingenuous as to bite the hand that feeds me (a la "OMG TAX CUTS!")

CSB: I'm currently working on our company's first CNG station, funded by $1.2 mil in stimulus money (indirect via DOE and middleman grant administration group). My boss quipped that we were doing more to create jobs than Obama was... I have a good enough relationship with him that I could get away with pointing out the irony in that his entire business model is based on wringing out every cent of government funding/subsidy/incentives available, but it's just not worth it some days. :lol:

I do hope to pitch the idea of building solar carports with EV charging stations someday, though, so I'm here to learn as much as I can about EVs for both personal and potential business reasons!
=Smidge=

During a speach at Penn State today, President Obama just announced that he wants to eliminate the oil company tax breaks :D to pay for NEW tax credits for imporving energy efficiencies. New program is called "Better Buildings Initiative". Goal is to save $40B from energy efficiencies.

Unfortunately, I think this stands little chance of passing. Congress likes tax credits rather than rebates for the same reason that electronics stores like mail-in rebates rather than point of sale rebates: They know that many will not qualifym or will fail to execute the paperworkm and thus the cost of the program is reduced. This makes it appear more magnanimous and generous than it actually is.

Spies said:

http://www.freep.com/article/20110207/BUSINESS01/102070417/0/BUSINESS03/Stabenow-propose-rebate-electric-cars?odyssey=mod_sectionstories

U.S. Sen. Debbie Stabenow plans to introduce legislation today aimed at jump-starting demand for plug-in electric cars, such as the extended-range Chevrolet Volt, which also uses a gas generator, and the all-electric Nissan Leaf.

johnr said:
I see no reason why a purchase of an electric vehicle needs to be limited to the wealthy. Making the $7500 a rebate instead of a tax credit will make an electric car much more affordable for those of us who don't have that much of a tax liability. Without having to resort to a lease. So I'm glad the president has proposed this, and I hope it will pass into law before my Leaf arrives! :)

+1! :mrgreen:

evnow said:
http://www.freep.com/article/20110207/BUSINESS01/102070417/0/BUSINESS03/Stabenow-propose-rebate-electric-cars?odyssey=mod_sectionstories

U.S. Sen. Debbie Stabenow plans to introduce legislation today aimed at jump-starting demand for plug-in electric cars, such as the extended-range Chevrolet Volt, which also uses a gas generator, and the all-electric Nissan Leaf.

Home page for U.S. Senator Debbie Stabenow, containing video presentation of her proposal and additional text.
http://stabenow.senate.gov/

Here is what is says on the Library of Congress record:

6. S.298 : A bill to drive American innovation and advanced vehicle manufacturing, to reduce costs for consumers, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Sen Stabenow, Debbie [MI] (introduced 2/7/2011) Cosponsors (None)
Committees: Senate Finance
Latest Major Action: 2/7/2011 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Finance.

It's going to Senate committee.

Pass it! Pass it! And make it retroactive for anyone who bought in 2011 and couldn't claim it on their 2010 taxes... :D

There is another one by Levin to increase the credit to 500,000 vehicles per manufacturer. I think these will get combined.

Republicans have said they won't pass any spending program that is not funded. But they have passed tax cuts ... is this a tax cut or a spending program ?

evnow said:
There is another one by Levin to increase the credit to 500,000 vehicles per manufacturer. I think these will get combined.

Republicans have said they won't pass any spending program that is not funded. But they have passed tax cuts ... is this a tax cut or a spending program ?

Good question...... Senator Stabenow (Mi) also authored the Cash for Clunkers program and independently saved the US Auto Industry. Yeah! ;)

" is this a tax cut or a spending program ?[/quote]

Good question and we are still on topic?

I don't believe in a rebate without a matching tax obligation. If one never pays taxes others pay for their rebate. I have no issue with the rebate carrying forward so those with lower tax obligations can get the credit over time.

EVDRIVER said:
I don't believe in a rebate without a matching tax obligation. If one never pays taxes others pay for their rebate. I have no issue with the rebate carrying forward so those with lower tax obligations can get the credit over time.

+1

Back