Obama inaugural and EV support

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thankyouOB

Obama said this:
We will respond to the threat of climate change, knowing that the failure to do so would betray our children and future generations. Some may still deny the overwhelming judgment of science, but none can avoid the devastating impact of raging fires, and crippling drought, and more powerful storms. The path towards sustainable energy sources will be long and sometimes difficult. But America cannot resist this transition; we must lead it. We cannot cede to other nations the technology that will power new jobs and new industries – we must claim its promise. That is how we will maintain our economic vitality and our national treasure – our forests and waterways; our croplands and snowcapped peaks. That is how we will preserve our planet, commanded to our care by God.

Obama said few specific things in his 15-minute address.
Support for sustainable energy and fighting climate change were two of those things.
It seems the administration will not give up the fight for alternate means of transportation and fueling our society.

the first term had mixed success and dedication. the promise offers hope for continued R&D support for EVs and other new forms of transport technology.
more talk, or a real promise for continued $$$ support for EVs, solar and other alternative sources of energy.
we cant keep burning up the planet, can we?

Gene Karpinski, president of the League of Conservation Voters, issued a statement Monday praising President Barack Obama for focusing on climate change during his second inaugural address.

The statement:

"The President's remarks offered great hope for a cleaner, more sustainable planet for future generations. President Obama made the link between climate change and extreme weather and called on America to lead the clean energy revolution. His continued commitment to clean technologies and protecting our planet will build on an already strong environmental legacy. We look forward to continuing to work with the Administration to ensure that clean energy jobs are built here at home while reducing harmful global warming pollution.”

This is good to see. I have major disagreements with a number of the President's policies but am happy to see statements like this from him. Going forward, let's hope for less political polarization on environmental issues and technology investment.

Not only climate change but renewable energy silk also build our infrastructure, reduce our imports, create jobs, and will result in a more robust economy and reduction of the national debt

Thought this map was pretty interesting/diverse.
Extreme Weather Map 2012:
http://www.nrdc.org/health/extremeweather/default.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2012: Thousands More Weather Records Broken in the US, Costs Skyrocketing —
Another "Year of What Climate Change Looks Like"
Climate change increases the risk of many types of record-breaking extreme weather events that threaten communities across the country. In 2012, there were 3,527 monthly weather records broken for heat, rain, and snow in the US, according to information from the National Climatic Data Center (NCDC).1 That's even more than the 3,251 records smashed in 2011—and some of the newly-broken records had stood for 30 years or more.

2188 record heat days

In 2012, record-breaking extreme events occurred in each of the 50 states. We saw the hottest March on record in the contiguous US,2 and July was the hottest single month ever recorded3 in those lower 48 states. Spring and summer aren't the whole story: 2012 is very likely to be the warmest year overall ever recorded in the US, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). The frequency and intensity of some very costly types of extreme events4 are likely to worsen with climate change, as temperatures continue to rise and affect weather patterns.

<snip>

A lot of these goals could be achieved by making the $7500 Fed tax credit apply only to packs and cells made in North America (NAFTA).. you need local manufacturing to feed local engineers specializing in batteries

It is always nice to see a figurehead espouse platitudes, but I would much rather see some REAL details regarding where, when and how these visions and dreams written up by speechwriters translate into actual sustainable policies. I would like to see specifically what sort of actions would detach the United States from the world-state that dictates her position as "just another cog in the marketplace" and give her back her relinquished status as a republic ruled by her own people. After all, energy is hardly our only or even most profound dependence.

It is always nice to see a figurehead espouse platitudes, but I would much rather see some REAL details regarding where, when and how these visions and dreams written up by speechwriters translate into actual sustainable policies. I would like to see specifically what sort of actions would detach the United States from the world-state that dictates her position as "just another cog in the marketplace" and give her back her relinquished status as a republic ruled by her own people. After all, energy is hardly our only or even most profound dependence
Exactly!

caffeinekid said:
It is always nice to see a figurehead espouse platitudes, but I would much rather see some REAL details regarding where, when and how these visions and dreams written up by speechwriters translate into actual sustainable policies. I would like to see specifically what sort of actions would detach the United States from the world-state that dictates her position as "just another cog in the marketplace" and give her back her relinquished status as a republic ruled by her own people. After all, energy is hardly our only or even most profound dependence.
He could start out by installing an EV charge station at every Federal owned parking lot in the nation. Then all federal gov. employees could own an EV and charge up at work.

Back