OC to San Diego Range question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

br14n22

I know a lot of people here are based in Southern California, so I'm wondering if anyone has driven from OC to San Diego on a single charge.

I drive to SD every couple of weeks this time of year for Chargers games. My commute from my home in Tustin to my parents in San Diego is 76 miles. Assuming I drive 60-65, based off calculations, I would be cutting it too close to turtle mode.

I planned on taking the 5 down to Oceanside (approximately 46 miles) , and then driving the rest down Coast highway at a lower speed (approximately 30 miles)

Would I be better/safer off getting a bit of a charge at Nissan Oceanside (or Nissan SJC) or is my planned route viable?

Last week, I drove from Huntington Beach to downtown San Diego (Gaslamp Quarter).

I took the scenic route down to Dana Point, using PCH instead of the 5. This shaved off some miles, kept my overall speed down, and allowed me to stop at the charge stations in Laguna Beach.

Google calculated the one-way distance to be 87.8 miles.

Started in HB with a full charge. Stopped in Laguna Beach on the way down and charged for 45 minutes while I had breakfast. Then I had a really efficient drive (unusually good drafting opportunity, consistent speed 55-60mph) down to San Diego. Made it with 20 miles on the whatever-meter, and one bar above red, which was a nice reserve.

On the way back, I went a couple miles out of my way to check out the new Bl!nks in Balboa Park. Had a more inconsistent drive back, with some wind and varied speed (55-65mph). I got low enough that I decided to stop at Weseloh Nissan in San Juan Capistrano to charge for one hour.

Got home with 16 miles on the guesstometer, and on the second red bar.

Your trip is 10 miles shorter, so you may be able to make it without charging, but I'd charge anyway the first time to get a better feel for it, and to see if you end up with a comfortable reserve. Just drive as efficiently as possible.

If you want details on the Laguna, SJC, Balboa Park, or Gaslamp District charge stations, I'd be glad to post some more details. I opted against the Nissan Oceanside station because it was 3 miles off the freeway, so would have added 6 miles to an otherwise straight shot. You'd have to charge there for half an hour just to make back those 6 miles.

FYI There are two free J1772 chargers at the IBEW training center right off I-15 at Balboa Ave, two exits before the stadium. Easy freeway access.
http://g.co/maps/ghs48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally, I drive to the Old Town Transit Center for Charger games and take the trolley. Parking is free. Much easier and cheaper than dealing with the parking lot at the stadium (exit I-5 onto Sea World Drive west towards Sea World, take a left at first light onto Pacific Highway, transit center is about 1 mile on the left). Old Town is also about a 10 mile shorter roundtrip than going to the stadium or going downtown. Hopefully they will install some EVSE's there in the future.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=San+Diego+Old+Town+Transportation+Center&safe=active&hnear=San+Diego+Old+Town+Transportation+Center&t=h&z=16&vpsrc=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

br14n22 said:
from my home in Tustin to my parents in San Diego is 76 miles.

Time wise, you're always ahead by driving slower to get the needed range, as opposed to fast and needing to charge.

I like the suggestions of stopping mid-way for an hour to eat/shop, and charge up, but you can make it at a slower speed. The speed limit for trucks is 55mph, and getting safely behind one of them will be a huge benefit for range, both because of the slower speed, and any potential aerodynamic benefits.

If it was particularly cold, I would not try it non-stop.

It's insane! If you don't have another car take the train and the trolley. It will be more pleasant. It will be faster. And parking at the Q is always a nightmare.

The next game isn't for almost a month anyway so you have plenty of time to plan.

SanDust said:
It's insane! If you don't have another car take the train and the trolley. It will be more pleasant. It will be faster. And parking at the Q is always a nightmare.

The next game isn't for almost a month anyway so you have plenty of time to plan.

+1

Unfortunately there aren't any chargers walking distance from the Chargers. The train and trolley would be your best bet.

SanDust said:

I usually take the buses to and from the game. It's bit pricey, but you're in and out of the stadium with no effort. Sometimes when taking the trolley, I won't get home for two hours after the game. =/

So I got my Leaf on Saturday, and decided to try this drive out on the first day I got the car.

I left Tustin with about 90% charge late in the evening. I had already called ahead to Weseloh in SJC to make sure their chargers were accessible after hours. I did not drive very efficiently from Tustin to SJC, and it hurt my range quite a bit. I stopped there for about an hour, and then continued my drive. I got off the freeway in Oceanside at Coast Highway and took the PCH down to about Toerry Pines where I got to low battery warning. The GOM showed 6 miles. I charged at the Lodge at Torrey Pines for 30 mins and then left and made it to my parents house in University City a couple hours later. I was happy to have made it, but disappointed that I had extended a hour 15 minute trip into well over 3 hours. I plugged in to 120v and let it charge overnight. It's also important to note that I used ECO from SJC to SD, but didn't use it from Tustin to SJC. My biggest mistake. It was also low 40s outside, no climate control.

On the way back, I started with 100% charge, and took the freeway all the way. I stayed in the slow lane and tailed trucks all the way back up to Tustin. My speeds ranged from 55-65 depending on the truck in front of me. I reached Tustin with two bars and 14 miles on the GOM. I used ECO the entire way, and it was mid 60s outside. Used the fan to cool down the cabin a couple times, but mostly had climate control off. I also generated 3 trees.

I learned a lot about the car in the first 72 hours of ownership! It definitely was risky for me to have my maiden voyage be such a long one, but it was a very good learning experience.

How many miles total?

I see 2 mistakes:

1. Not leaving with a 100% charge
2. Starting out the drive fast instead of slow

Keep in mind that L2 charging happens at about 12-14 miles per hour - so basically any speed you can do above that and avoid charging will improve your travel time.

Let's say you have an 80 mile trip and can drive at 75 mph and go 62 miles between charges - you're going to have to stop and charge for 1.5 hours somewhere along the way which puts your trip at around 140 minutes hours (64 minutes driving + 90 hours charging). Or you could drive 55 mph (should be able to go about 90 miles at this speed) and get to your destination with some room to spare but shave nearly an hour off your trip at about 87 minutes.

br14n22 said:
So I got my Leaf on Saturday, and decided to try this drive out on the first day I got the car. ...
Brave of you. Anyway, you certainly did learn a lot, both where all of the pertinent charge locations are, and to start out the drive slow to maximize range. You can't save charge that you've already wasted.

br14n22 said:
I stayed in the slow lane and tailed trucks all the way back up to Tustin. My speeds ranged from 55-65 depending on the truck in front of me.

You are better off keeping your distance from trucks, just set your cruise control at 55 and drive away on the right lane.. you cant see whats in front of the truck or when one of his re-threads will let go. Avoid drafting, its unsafe.

Did this drive again this weekend, which was important, because I'll have to do it for the next three weekends..

Started from Tustin with 100% charge. Wasn't going to make that mistake again. I left late at night as soon as my charge completed, so it was around 1am, and temperatures in the low 40s the whole way there. Clear roads the whole way. Was able to make it with 3 miles left on the GOM. It was close, but I knew I was going to make it. ECO the whole way.

On the way back, I left around 3:00pm on Monday. Hit a bit of traffic and a bit of rain, but temps were mid fifties. Made it back to Tustin with 3 bars and 23 miles left! So I decided to run a couple more errands after stopping at home, and on the same charge did about 12 miles more. Came back home with 7 miles left on the GOM. My commute was about 77 miles, and with the 12 I did after the fact, I did about 89 miles on that charge. I'm very confident that had I tried, I could have got to 100 miles easy. Used ECO the whole way again.

I'm not sure if the the inclines are shorter on the way back, or if it was mostly the temperature/traffic, but this is the second time Iv'e had much better range driving home than driving there. I'm going to try to leave OC around 6pm-7pm next weekend, so that should help prove/disprove my hypothesis.

br14n22 said:
Did this drive again this weekend, which was important, because I'll have to do it for the next three weekends..
What speed did you travel at when there was no traffic.

Yesterday on my commute I found rain to kill range - probably a combination of needing to run defrost (used defrost/foot mode in ECO which pulls about 1.5kW) but got to work with 3.6 mi / kW where I normally do low 4 mi / kWh.

So I'm surprised you didn't notice any range hit on the way home with a bit of rain, but perhaps traffic helped? Any HVAC either way?

Edit: And what was your indicated mi/kWh as well?

If you are interested and have a DC-capable vehicle, we are installing a 50Kw DC Charger at the San Juan Capistrano Marriott Residence on http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/snasj-residence-inn-san-juan-capistrano/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and will also have one at Whole Foods Encinitas and Flower Hill Center on Via De La Valle in Del Mar. These should all be in-place by March 2012. http://www.evoasis.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for more info.

Evoasis said:
If you are interested and have a DC-capable vehicle, we are installing a 50Kw DC Charger at the San Juan Capistrano Marriott Residence on http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/snasj-residence-inn-san-juan-capistrano/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and will also have one at Whole Foods Encinitas and Flower Hill Center on Via De La Valle in Del Mar. These should all be in-place by March 2012. http://www.evoasis.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for more info.
That will be awesome! Glad to see someone taking the lead on Fast Charging infrastructure!!!

I also see that you are planning to install a Quick Charger in Pasadena, CA, which I would use once per month or so if the one-time use fee is not exorbitant, i.e., isn't too much more costly than an equivalent amount of gasoline. (Given where we live, a subscription would not make sense for our family, unless perhaps you were to install a Quick Charger near the base of the San Bernardino Mountains, on the way to the mountain resort towns and ski areas.)

Evoasis said:

Do you have any plans to price charging a la carte or does a person have to purchase a membership for $89 or $179 like your website says? If that's the case, I just don't think I'd use it that much to make it pay off.

From the FAQ:

Evoasis rates for 20-Minute (Rapid) Charging are approximately 27 Cents/kWh, though selected Membership Levels can make the cost considerably lower.
Pricing also depends on frequency-of-use, size of battery pack and EVO Award Points which earn charging credits.

You people need to stop being so selfish and start supporting the L3 infrastructure.. not everything has a be calculated to the last dollar.. it's like donating at the Church of Gaia, you will feel better afterwards.

smkettner said:
Evoasis rates for 20-Minute (Rapid) Charging are approximately 27 Cents/kWh, though selected Membership Levels can make the cost considerably lower. Pricing also depends on frequency-of-use, size of battery pack and EVO Award Points which earn charging credits.
I must have missed that in the FAQ. $0.27/kWh is actually quite reasonable. A 20 kWh charge would be only $5.40, roughly comparable to gasoline for a Prius.

Herm said:
You people need to stop being so selfish and start supporting the L3 infrastructure.. not everything has a be calculated to the last dollar.. it's like donating at the Church of Gaia, you will feel better afterwards.
Church of Gaia? :lol: I'm not particularly concerned about planet Earth itself, just the quality of life of the human race and the rest of God's creatures.

Yes, I do agree that it's worth paying a bit of a premium to support the infrastructure. But $89/month for a couple of charges is still too much. I just wanted to make the point that the pricing needs to be within reason for occasional users, which thankfully they already seem to have considered.

Back