Offcial Honda Fit EV Thread (lease only)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this the opening salvo in the EV horsepower wars. Having one EV is fine, having two means its a race. I love it!

You can lease a new S Class Mercedes for $399 or less if you come up with enough up front cash to reduce the amount covered in the lease.
I don't see any place indicating how much money Honda will require you to put down to make the payments work out to $399 and how many miles are included, how many months, how much are mileage overage charges etc.. Lease for "only $399" means nothing until they release full details.
It is a bad idea to put cash down on a lease beyond DMV fees, security deposit etc.. because you will lose 100% of whatever you put down if your leased vehicle is totaled the day after you drive off the lot. Insurance payout goes to the lease company and pays them whatever the lease balance is. You don't get any refund of overpayment if this happens a few days after you put thousands down as a cap reduction on the lease.

leaftryer said:
You can lease a new S Class Mercedes for $399 or less if you come up with enough up front cash to reduce the amount covered in the lease.
The "only" part actually refers to lease i.e. this is lease only, can't buy.

Title changed.

And its apparently a California Only lease to boot. I really liked the Insight. When I started looking at EVs the FitEV was high on my list, but it never seem like it would materialize. I sold my honda to by a Volt. Now I'm very glad I did not wait as its seems it will only a CARB game piece.

On the positive side at the auto show it was reported
What's interesting is that the car does have an MSRP of $36,625, and multiple Honda reps milling around the stand after the official unveiling said that the lease-only deal is what's being announced today but that Honda listens to its customers.

And recently
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/17/2013-honda-fit-ev-la-2011/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
had an update to their original posting stating:

Honda has always taken a slow and steady approach when it comes to introducing new technologies. Sometimes that means taking a different path then what the rest of the industry is doing. Honda is taking a portfolio approach when it comes to alternative fueled vehicles – introducing a variety of technologies (EV, P-HEV, FCEV, Hybrid, Natural Gas and fuel-efficient ICE) and letting the customer decide which best meets their needs.

Whether we are first or second to market with a new technology, Honda strives to exceed the customer ownership experience. With the Fit EV, we want to make sure Honda's return to the battery electric market is matched to customer's expectations of a Honda vehicle (exceptional reliability and quality). We felt leasing the Fit EV at this stage was the best way to both meet the high standards customers have come to expect from Honda and manage the customer ownership experience.

With that said, Honda is a flexible company that listens to its customers. We will be carefully monitoring customer feedback and continuously evaluating the Fit EV program when it launches next summer.

Of course, its unclear if they would be listening to previous customers that went away from honda because they decided to start going sooooooo slooooooooow.

Honda will lease only in CA & OR. Just tells me their cost is very high - so they want to limit the loss. Otherwise not leasing in atleast some other states, doesn't make sense (why would you want to lease in OR but not WA ?).

evnow said:
Honda will lease only in CA & OR. Just tells me their cost is very high - so they want to limit the loss. Otherwise not leasing in atleast some other states, doesn't make sense (why would you want to lease in OR but not WA ?).

It could also be about the cost of training dealers. If they are expecting to lease all, then increased density reduces their cost. And then with the mild climate it will look good in those states.
(That plus maybe CARB credits).

Honda wont make any money at this, but they reap CARB credits and max green credits with this move.. and they gain some experience in the field. That EV Fit will show up in Google searches for years to come.

Automobile Magazine reviewed the Fit EV in the March issue, and they prefer driving it to the LEAF in every way:

- better handling "The pinky-figer steering effort of the Leaf is put to shame by the Fit's beautifully weighted wheel. The driver doesn't receive as much feel from the Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires, but there's enough effort required to get the impressing that the steering wheel is actually attached to something. The Michelins also find more grip than the Leaf's Bridgestone Ecopia rubber, making the Fit less susceptible to squealing the front tires on quick starts with the wheels turned." "Compared to the Leaf, the Fit EV feels like a Mazda Miata, with quicker turn-in and crisper body control."

- more power "whereas the Leaf's oomph quickly falls off as velocity builds, the Fit maintains its punch above city speeds. Rolling onto the accelerator from 30 mph brings a strong surge that effortlessly propels the Fit to highway speeds."

- faster charging (6.6 vs 3.3)

- better cargo area (it was unclear if it was larger, they just liked the flat loading area with the seats folded)

Makes me want to take one for a test drive, because while I do agree that the LEAF steering is too light, I find the power to be more than adequate in all situations.

As for the talk about the tires, we could just replace the tires on the LEAF with the Michelins I guess.

Too bad Honda plans such limited production, and not give it DC charge capability.

The NYT review adds nothing, except:

...Perhaps the most intriguing research will be done by the Center for Automotive Research at Stanford. It took possession of the Fit EV as part of a research project involving behavioral aspects associated with the adoption of new technology. Drivers will be outfitted with electrodes, enabling researchers to measure human reactions to the car’s noises and alerts — when the car runs low on power, for example...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/29/automobiles/honda-begins-deliveries-of-battery-powered-fit.html?hpw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And some of you folks consider Carwings an intrusion on your privacy....

Honda is too conservative of a company to really get a true electric vehicle in serious play anytime soon. My wife just got a new loaded 2012 CRV. they still lack a lot of techie features that have been standard on less expensive cars for a few years.

123 miles out of a smaller battery? Hmm, doesn't sound right, :? unless the weight of the Honda Fit EV is significantly lighter than the Leaf. Luckily it seems L1/L2 charging port (J1772) is same as the Leaf's.

Why so few? Bring 'em on!

CarZin said:
Honda is too conservative of a company to really get a true electric vehicle in serious play anytime soon. My wife just got a new loaded 2012 CRV. they still lack a lot of techie features that have been standard on less expensive cars for a few years.

Yeah, I looked at Honda's hybrid in '04 when studying the Prius, and the Prius won hands down.

It also appears that Honda has lost their way in the last few years or so... Road tests of their most recent vehicles, and CR reports, have been less than complimentary. Add to that their hybrid fiasco... All this would me me think twice about one of their EVs...

CarZin said:

Just got an email on updates: http://automobiles.honda.com/fit-ev/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WayBackMachine doesn't show previous updates/existence: http://wayback.archive.org/web/*/http://automobiles.honda.com/fit-ev/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A Powerful 92kW Electric Motor
Think EVs are slow? Not this one. Using the same 92kW high-density coaxial electric motor as the much larger FCX Clarity, the Fit EV’s powerful acceleration is a treat for driving enthusiasts. Consider this: The gasoline engine in the Fit produces 106 lb-ft of torque. The Fit EV? Try 188. That's a 77% increase.

Choose Your Own Adventure
Like the CR-Z Sport Hybrid, the Fit EV features a 3-mode drive system, allowing you to tailor the driving experience to your preference. Looking to stretch the miles between charges? Keep it in ECON[1]. Need to pass a slow-moving truck? Push the SPORT button. The Fit EV lets you decide how to drive.

The Fun One
The Fit has always been known for its nimble handling and the Fit EV is no exception. The Fit EV's low center of gravity and independent rear suspension provide an entertaining, all-electric ride.

[1] The ECON logo is a trademark of Honda Motor Co., Ltd., and may not be used or reproduced without prior written approval.

Also received the email at 10:04 PDT today. I took the "EV Readiness Assessment". Unfortunately, there was no check-box for "I have a 240V EVSE already". Whatever. $389/month including maintenance and roadside assistance sounds reasonable to me. It would be my first lease ever.

Anyway, we'll have one at the "Hybrids 2 HotRods" event next month in San Jose. Might not get to drive it, but at least it will be there.

Just scanned through the Honda site w/ videos and I'm seriously hoping that they get rid of the chrome "smile" on the front of the car before production.. Otherwise, the Fit EV does seem to add some nice touches to the match-up including 3 driving modes (instead of 2) and a way to manually "shift" into a more aggressive regen mode. But a smaller battery? A 3-year lease totaling $14K w/ no option to buy?? I'm guessing Honda gets the tax credit, same as Nissan does for a leased LEAF, so this certainly seems like a good financial move for Honda to make.. Let's see: $14K x 1,100 = $15,400,000 + (7,500 x 1,100) = $23,650,000

Back