Official Coda Electric Car thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomT said:
ENIAC said:
It's just wrong. The Tesla Roadster never had an EPA sticker. There are exceptions for low volume vehicles.
I don't believe that Coda is going for that exemption since they plan to build more than that. The low volume limit is pretty small...
If were advising Coda, I'd have them go for the low volume exemption. ;)

KJD said:
The Coda web site says that the car will cost about $40,000 with a 34kwh battery pack.
http://app.codaautomotive.com/CarConfigurator" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Compare that with a Tesla Model S at $49,000 with a 40kwh battery pack.
http://www.teslamotors.com/models/options" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Tesla is made in USA and the Coda is made in China.

The Tesla is beautiful and the Coda is well ..........

Easy choice for me. :)
Of course, the Tesla price includes the federal tax credit and the Coda price doesn't. Both have similar ranges. If you can afford a Tesla, go for it, but if you need more range than a Leaf/Focus etc. provide and a Tesla is out of range, then the Coda is it.

GRA said:
Of course, the Tesla price includes the federal tax credit and the Coda price doesn't. Both have similar ranges. If you can afford a Tesla, go for it, but if you need more range than a Leaf/Focus etc. provide and a Tesla is out of range, then the Coda is it.
If that were my situation, I would either go for the Volt or go without. There simply isn't a scenario where I would actually buy a Coda.

Herm said:
Coda is not made in China.. parts are. Most cars have parts made in China.. Bunch of haters..

That is a bit harsh Herm. I do NOT hate China, I just think they produce a lot of low quality stuff that breaks as soon as you get it home.

I would much rather buy made in USA or made in Japan than made in China, just because it will last longer that is all.

From the Coda FAQ.
Our chassis and body (glider) are manufactured at an existing facility we lease and operate in China
Many part of the CODA EV are built in China, as well as top tier suppliers from around the world including the US, UK and Japan. The glider (body of the car), batteries and battery pack are the largest vehicle elements and they are made in China.

KJD said:
That is a bit harsh Herm. I do NOT hate China, I just think they produce a lot of low quality stuff that breaks as soon as you get it home.

Sorry, I was just being snarky and forgot the smiley.. lots of chinese stuff is as you describe, but that is because (mostly) the consumers in the US want that stuff at a certain price. Chinese companies will build whatever quality level you specify. I believe the US government does not consider the Coda to be a chinese car, by the total parts content.

As for LEAFs at the D.C. Auto Show, we had 4: one at the Nissan Booth, one near the Future SuperHighway and 2 provided by the EVA/DC.

:)

As for range, I've sat in a dealership charging on my way home once to many not to believe more range would be useful in the LEAF. Making that part of your daily commute even once is too much, and thrice all be it averaging once a month is annoying.

In case this hasn't been noted earlier, I highly recommend reading "Death by China" by Autry and Navarro, http://www.amazon.com/Death-China-C...1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1328540936&sr=1-1-catcorr.

I don't mind buying imported goods as long as our goods are competing on a level playing field. We demand low priced goods, but if you read the book you will have a better understanding of why Chinese goods cost much less than those made in the USA, and it's not all due to cheap labor.

ENIAC said:
GRA said:
If that were my situation, I would either go for the Volt or go without. There simply isn't a scenario where I would actually buy a Coda.
The Coda and the Volt would be the cars I'd be making a decision between, at that price. The Focus EV is a bad joke @ $40k.

Had a bit of back and forth email with a Coda rep, re my view that they need to make space and weight provision for an L3 charger soonish, even though there are competing standards, and offer their customers the (extra-cost) option of one ASAP. Simplifying the boilerplate response, not happening.

GRA said:
Had a bit of back and forth email with a Coda rep, re my view that they need to make space and weight provision for an L3 charger soonish, even though there are competing standards, and offer their customers the (extra-cost) option of one ASAP. Simplifying the boilerplate response, not happening.

The Coda does have a 30 amp J1772 and that is much better than the Nissan 14 amp charger. Hopefully Nissan will correct that issue on the 2013 model.

My 2012 Nissan SL does have an L3 quick charge port, but where do I go to use the dang thing ?

I have contacted all 3 of the Nissan dealers in my area and NOT ONE of them has any plans to install an L3 charger, so my car has the quick charge port and it is essentially worthless at this time.

KJD

KJD said:
I have contacted all 3 of the Nissan dealers in my area and NOT ONE of them has any plans to install an L3 charger, so my car has the quick charge port and it is essentially worthless at this time.

KJD

Did you call any dealers to find out which ones had gasoline available?

No rational analysis of long term viability, parts and warranty service availability could conclude anything except that the CODA is a very risky purchase... One is immeasurably better off buying from a large, profitable, company with a track record... Hence, the choice of the Leaf was easy for me... I wouldn't buy from Mitsubishi, their survival in the American market is questionable.

Saab just went completely bankrupt, so what are CODA's odds?

Personally I think Tesla is a risk as well but is more likely to be bought out or merge with a bigger company.

SteveInSeattle said:
No rational analysis of long term viability, parts and warranty service availability could conclude anything except that the CODA is a very risky purchase... One is immeasurably better off buying from a large, profitable, company with a track record... Hence, the choice of the Leaf was easy for me... I wouldn't buy from Mitsubishi, their survival in the American market is questionable.

Saab just went completely bankrupt, so what are CODA's odds?

Personally I think Tesla is a risk as well but is more likely to be bought out or merge with a bigger company.
Agree completely w/your assessment about Coda and Tesla. Mitsu's offerings don't meet my needs and requirements, so that leaves really the FFE and Leaf for me.

I'd rather have the Leaf since it's been on the road for a year already and w/many of its bugs likely worked out by now.

SteveInSeattle said:
No rational analysis of long term viability, parts and warranty service availability could conclude anything except that the CODA is a very risky purchase...

Different people have different threshold levels for risk.. and yes you are driving around on a lithium rolling bomb :)

One big advantage to Coda is that the battery can be charged to 100% as often as you want and left there as long as you want without issues. Its a car for people that need more range than what a Leaf offers.

Herm said:
Different people have different threshold levels for risk.. and yes you are driving around on a lithium rolling bomb :)
Hey, at least I'm not driving around on top of a rolling petrol bomb every day... :mrgreen:

Herm said:
One big advantage to Coda is that the battery can be charged to 100% as often as you want and left there as long as you want without issues. Its a car for people that need more range than what a Leaf offers.
Why do you say that? This behaviour would be just as bad for a Coda pack as it is for a Leaf pack.

-Phil

due to the lower voltage of the LiFePO4 cells (3.6V ?) the electrolyte will not degrade like it does at 4.2V on a conventional lithium-ion cell.

Herm said:
due to the lower voltage of the LiFePO4 cells (3.6V ?) the electrolyte will not degrade like it does at 4.2V on a conventional lithium-ion cell.
This is not true. But from experience I can say the A123 cells are very robust, but they will degrade, just not as fast.

I have built several packs using the A123 26650's and used them for extended periods. The pack in my Plug-in-Prius consists of 864 of these.

-Phil

Back