Official Infiniti LE thread - early 2017, 60 kWh

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DeaneG said:
When the Nissan survey team stopped by last year, they asked me what I wanted in an Infinity-branded EV. I told them more range. They kept asking: what about feature X, or feature Y ? I reiterated "more range" about three times. More range must be hard for them to do.

Well done and thank you. It may be hard for them, in fact it obviously is hard, but they NEED to add more range at this market level and probably price point.

Nissan, you're reading this, right?

Agreed. 10kwh should be the minimum size of the onboard charger. Charge at 3.3kwh or 6.6kwh if you like but have a 10kwh peak L2. It is all about convenience. Having to wait 8 hours or even four hours for a charge to go another 70 miles is not good. QC will be great but it will never be everywhere like L2.

TomT said:
If Infiniti ever hopes to sell me a more upscale vehicle, it will need to be at least 36Kwh and at least a 10Kw charger.,..... That additional 50 percent and faster charging would open up a number of range opportunities for me

ILETRIC said:
It seems Nissan wants to keep the LE battery at 24 kW so it does not compete with the Leaf. Nissan should advance the battery size of both vehicles up at the same time to at least 35-45 kW.

Boomer23 said:
DeaneG said:
When the Nissan survey team stopped by last year, they asked me what I wanted in an Infinity-branded EV. I told them more range. They kept asking: what about feature X, or feature Y ? I reiterated "more range" about three times. More range must be hard for them to do.

Well done and thank you. It may be hard for them, in fact it obviously is hard, but they NEED to add more range at this market level and probably price point.

On second thought, what if Nissan already knew that they needed to add range, they had it figured out and they wanted to know what ELSE you wanted to see in the Infiniti? They "might" have kept the battery spec on the "concept" the same as the LEAF's to keep the competition complacent, then spring the expanded range on the production Infiniti version when they announce it a year or more from now. I'm going to stay optimistic on that theory til I hear otherwise.

ILETRIC said:
Even though 50 cent juice is still a cheaper option than gas. But it sure beefs up that PG&E bill by about 100 bucks.

You must be in Hawaii, most of their electricity is generated by burning oil (heavy bunker oil in gigantic diesel engines?)

Herm said:
You must be in Hawaii
You must NOT be from California. :) PG&E is the big electrical utility in Northern California. They don't burn bunker oil but they do have a tiered rate system and an expensive distribution and transmission system. They do have a separate meter option for EVs but they require an actual meter not a submeter which makes the option very expensive.

ILETRIC said:
Come summer, we have to stop that as the summer rates kick in at 50 cents per kW. Right now it's upper 20's. Even though 50 cent juice is still a cheaper option than gas. But it sure beefs up that PG&E bill by about 100 bucks.

Have you considered getting solar panels? You'd probably pay back your investment in only 5 to 7 years or so at those rates!

Boomer23 said:
On second thought, what if Nissan already knew that they needed to add range, they had it figured out and they wanted to know what ELSE you wanted to see in the Infiniti? They "might" have kept the battery spec on the "concept" the same as the LEAF's to keep the competition complacent, then spring the expanded range on the production Infiniti version when they announce it a year or more from now. I'm going to stay optimistic on that theory til I hear otherwise.
More than not revealing the hand to competitors - I think they don't want people to not buy Leaf and wait for Infiniti LE.

Boomer23 said:
Boomer23 said:
DeaneG said:

In the latest survey work we did with Nissan, they clearly said up front that they knew that more range was at the top of most people's wish list. They didn't want to talk about that, or any of the other obvious shortcomings of the LEAF (e.g., SOC/Range metering, which they are clearly doing something about).

I think I saw in one of the photos that the front seats were electric (or partially so). Hopefully with memory for that and the mirrors? That was one thing we liked about the BMW, i.e., 1-button push to adjust seat and mirrors to each driver's position. Also, I hope that the Infiniti comes with the cold weather package as standard. Even though several of us have outfitted seat heaters in our 2011 LEAFs, the heated steering wheel would be very nice.

With regard to that 50 cent juice.

Yes, it's NorCal. No friendly prices on energy items here, most expensive gas too. I guess, PG&E figures they're in the same business as the Chevron and Shell.

Of course I'm doing solar when DOW Powerhouse shingles come out AND particularly when I buy the second EV. I figure, between 2 BEVs I will save about 700 bucks or more per month (2 cars at 40,000 miles per year and 2-level home AC). That thing (solar) will pay itself off in 2-3 years. I'm free and clear after that on 100% green electrons.

EVDRIVER said:
Run flat tires are a compromise, they are heavy, handle worse, are less efficient, and have poor ride quality. When I had a Cooper S I took them all off the first week.

The ride quality from the run flats on my mini never bothered me. However, the road noise was a different story. Those tires are loud!

surfingslovak said:
Leonel Delgadillo, one of the BMW electronauts, went to the NY Auto Show and took a few pictures. He is considering getting the Infinity after the lease on the ActiveE runs out. Happy Easter everyone!

532598_3224622447529_1025535197_32973180_355917802_n.jpg

I just noticed in this picture that the charge port is extended. According to Leonel, that's the J connector on top of the extended emblem. Facing upward to catch rain and whatever else is falling? Not a good idea, IMHO. And where is the ChaDeMo port then?

EDIT: I just zoomed in close on the pic (granted it's only an 85 Kb image and it's very lo res) and I think that might be the ChaDeMo port, not the J port. There are two large projections inside the circle that look like those inside the ChaDeMo port on the LEAF. Maybe they didn't include a standard J port on the show car, at least a visible one, because they have wireless charging on it.

gascant said:
I think I saw in one of the photos that the front seats were electric (or partially so). Hopefully with memory for that and the mirrors? That was one thing we liked about the BMW, i.e., 1-button push to adjust seat and mirrors to each driver's position. Also, I hope that the Infiniti comes with the cold weather package as standard. Even though several of us have outfitted seat heaters in our 2011 LEAFs, the heated steering wheel would be very nice.

Our Infiniti G37 has the memory seats and mirrors, based on which key FOB is used. I can't imagine this wouldn't be standard.

Eric Loveday said:
Revealed at the 2012 New York Auto Show, the electric Infiniti LE is going into production in the next year. According to Infiniti, an electric sedan based on the LE concept will hit dealerships in 2014 and now it seems the LEAF-based electric Infiniti will be built alongside Nissan's revolutionary electric hatchback in Smyrna, Tennessee.
http://www.plugincars.com/infiniti-le-electric-sedan-likely-be-built-alongside-nissan-leaf-tennessee-120207.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John Voelcker said:
Infiniti LE Concept Walktrough - 2012 New York Auto Show
http://player.ooyala.com/static/cacheable/4d0b3ca5e8a6d586baa6f95c2e3159ab/player_v2.swf?embedCode=hyMHZlNDpTmkFIha_oXWq7hVLCFkIYzV&ContainerId=ooyala_container_hyMHZlNDpTmkFIha_oXWq7hVLCFkIYzV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

surfingslovak said:
Eric Loveday said:
Revealed at the 2012 New York Auto Show, the electric Infiniti LE is going into production in the next year. According to Infiniti, an electric sedan based on the LE concept will hit dealerships in 2014 and now it seems the LEAF-based electric Infiniti will be built alongside Nissan's revolutionary electric hatchback in Smyrna, Tennessee.
http://www.plugincars.com/infiniti-le-electric-sedan-likely-be-built-alongside-nissan-leaf-tennessee-120207.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John Voelcker said:
Infiniti LE Concept Walktrough - 2012 New York Auto Show
http://player.ooyala.com/static/cacheable/4d0b3ca5e8a6d586baa6f95c2e3159ab/player_v2.swf?embedCode=hyMHZlNDpTmkFIha_oXWq7hVLCFkIYzV&ContainerId=ooyala_container_hyMHZlNDpTmkFIha_oXWq7hVLCFkIYzV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very cool, thanks. I wish they'd extended the charging port behind the Infiniti badge on the video and also shown the interior.

Infiniti has an interest site up and running for the LE Concept now. You can register for further information, view 360 degree exterior and interiors, view the video already posted here, video from the NYAS, etc.

http://www.infinitiusa.com/Infiniti-LE-Concept/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just detail picking on the interior, I noticed that the concept lacks inboard ventilation outlets on the dash. I'm sure that will change on the production car.

Boomer23 said:
Infiniti has an interest site up and running for the LE Concept now. You can register for further information, view 360 degree exterior and interiors, view the video already posted here, video from the NYAS, etc.

http://www.infinitiusa.com/Infiniti-LE-Concept/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks! Signed up and added the Facebook link. For some reason the "EV Insider" was not working and playing well with my iPad. :cry:

I also found it interesting how Infiniti cropped the photo of the LE on their splash page. They have chopped off the back portion right at the unpleasant upward bend (to my OCD eye) in the rear door beltline. Coincidence??? I hope not! It's a concept, so maybe they are planning on a small revision here.

TurboFroggy said:
... It could charge at 3.3KW normally then if you press the "fast charge" button, it just maximizes the current allowed by whatever EVSE your plugged into up to 75 Amps, that would be totally cool. ...
Why? The charger already adjusts to the capacity of the EVSE you're plugged into. No reason to have a button to throttle it.

Pictures of LE Concept from EVS 26 in LA today:

Attachments

• aIMG_8639.jpg
    aIMG_8639.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 22
  • aIMG_8647.jpg
    aIMG_8647.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 22
  • aIMG_8648.jpg
    aIMG_8648.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 22
Back