One tire wearing oddly

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtndrvr

Took my OEM tires off last fall for snow tires and did not notice unusual wear +/- 7,000 miles
Had my snow tires changed over to OEM tires last month 11,900 miles, not unusual wear
Driven <1,000 miles since putting summer tires back on and noticed wear on outside of drivers front tire.
No unusual wear on any other tire, no pulling, no shaking. Leaf Spy Pro thinks the tire is 5 lbs lower than the other tires and sends alert even though I know that it is not low.
Took it to tire shop to check alignment, all within tolerance.
Had them recheck balance, all okay.
Had them set all tires to 38 lbs.

Anyone had something like this occur?

Unusual tire wear AND false TPMS indication, sounds like an unlikely coincidence. Absent any misalignment I'd tend to suspect the tire actually was low.

Abnormal wear on the outside edges of a tire is almost always an indication of low tire pressure. Even though I get a rather harsh ride, I've also been running with 44PSI (cold) all around since day 1. My tire wear is also much better than most folks report here on the forum; I expect to get at least 40K miles out of the original Ecopias. With the high tire pressure, I'm averaging a steady 4.5 MPKW over 25K+ miles, with about 50% freeway driving, and quite a bit of elevation change on a daily basis.

edited to fix lousy spelling.

mtndrvr said:
Took my OEM tires off last fall for snow tires and did not notice unusual wear +/- 7,000 miles
Had my snow tires changed over to OEM tires last month 11,900 miles, not unusual wear
Driven <1,000 miles since putting summer tires back on and noticed wear on outside of drivers front tire.
No unusual wear on any other tire, no pulling, no shaking. Leaf Spy Pro thinks the tire is 5 lbs lower than the other tires and sends alert even though I know that it is not low.
Took it to tire shop to check alignment, all within tolerance.
Had them recheck balance, all okay.
Had them set all tires to 38 lbs.

Anyone had something like this occur?
Being within specification on pressure and alignment on the LEAF will just end up with excessive outside tire wear.
See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=19390&hilit=Camber&start=10#p415850" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Back