OpenEVSE - Open Source Charging Station

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris:
Great!, I'm ready...let me know where to send the money. BTW, you told me before about a suggested 12v supply...please repeat that again. I've been looking for a less-expensive 1772 cable deal. I may need to wait until one of the Chinese companies goes rogue and doesn't depend on a trading company. I have already suggested they sell on eBay; but the trading companies still say "no."
I'll let everyone know if I find something...this may take a while.
Ladson

chris1howell said:
Experimental Open-EVSE boards are almost ready for those qualified to work with high voltages.
Great work Chris... do you plan to add these schematics to the Open-EVSE project page?

Yes, the Open EVSE schematics will be updated. These boards are based on the existing design, the only change is the addition of the dc/dc convertor to simplify the power supply requirements which also reduces overall EVSE cost.

Thank Chris; Kevin, been following your progress and like what you are doing in the UK with Zero Carbon World; ever think about starting it here in the U.S.?

fotajoye said:
Kevin, been following your progress and like what you are doing in the UK with Zero Carbon World; ever think about starting it here in the U.S.?
I have been approached a number of times about this... I'm very interested in the idea but we would need to find some serious funding...

ZCW is a registered charity and to keep it afloat my UK companies pay for three full time staff, and I have personally donated sufficient monies to pay for 1,000 Charging Stations. I'm happy to do this because I have kids and I believe that we must quickly transition to electric transportation powered by renewables.... but I'm not Mr Gates, just an ordinary guy with a passion ;)

It would be great if we had a ZCW like group in the US... There is a lot more ground to cover.

I'll keep working to make Open EVSE as simple and inexpensive possible.

chris1howell said:
It would be great if we had a ZCW like group in the US... There is a lot more ground to cover.
I had an interesting conversation with a rep of Coulomb the other day. I'll write about it - looks like Ecotality really screwed up.

As some know, I have bee rooting around trying to find a less expensive source for J1772 cable assembles ; I contacted Diga-Key and discussed this subject with them; They appear to be interested in offering the product at least to the point of researching it. I was told to steer people to them for a quote based of them locationing a supplier. Me thinks that a few people sending emails to them might increase their interest. I suggest that we who want the cables at a lower price do that and let us know what their quotes are.

I just finished testing the board with GFCI with no issues... I am still waiting on one backordered part to complete all 12 boards (6 no-GFCI and 6 with GFCI). I have a couple left so I should be able to get a few boards out to those who have been waiting the longest in the next couple days... :D

Board Status
No-GFCI
1 lincomatic - Shipped 12/20
2 KevinSharpe - Shipped 12/21
3 FairwoodRed - Shipped 12/20
4 nikpix - Shipped 1/23
5 Available – Late January
6 Available - Late January

GFCI
1 lincomatic - Shipped 12/20
2 fotajoye - Shipped 12/20
3 w.petefish - Shipped 12/26
4 w5lee - Shipped 1/19
5 nikpix - Shipped 1/23
6 palmermd - Shipped 12/23

The first batch of Open EVSE with GFCI boards are reserved, there is only a couple non-GFCI left.

I will place an order for another set of GFCI PCBs. They should be avaliable by the end of January...

If you want one from the second batch please send me a PM...

GFCI - second run
1 chris1howell - Late January
2 lincomatic - Late January
3 richard - Late January
4 geofel - Late January
5 geofel - Late January
6 mitch672 - Late January
7 highdesertdriver - Late January
8 mrbigh - Late January
9 electronit - Late January
10 ernest - Late January
11 commutercars - Late January
12 gunther - Late January

Next batch waiting list:
1 thinwing

I thought you all should know that open source is catching on.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/19/wiki-diy-civilization_n_1157895.html?1324310724" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I ordered 12 more Open EVSE with GFCI PCBs to build a second run today. They will be $80 each and should be ready to ship in late January. Send me a PM if you want one and I will update the list a couple posts up... They are going fast so far 6/12 are reserved. Chris

The first round of a half dozen boards should have arrived. Any progress? Thoughts? Concerns?

The next batch of 12 + 6 from the first batch is still on track for late January. The PCBs go out for manufacturing on the 2nd of January. Should be ready to add components around the 20th.

As a bonus I finished a prototype power supply with ground monitor and L1/L2 detection.

chris1howell said:
The first round of a half dozen boards should have arrived. Any progress? Thoughts? Concerns?

The next batch of 12 + 6 from the first batch is still on track for late January. The PCBs go out for manufacturing on the 2nd of January. Should be ready to add components around the 20th.

As a bonus I finished a prototype power supply with ground monitor and L1/L2 detection.
Thank you for the update !!

I haven't heard back from Digi-Key with any prices for 1772 cable assembles; I may not; however, if they can beat the ITT prices, I'll let everyone know. Intil then, the best prices appear to be on the open source wiki.

fotajoye said:
I haven't heard back from Digi-Key with any prices for 1772 cable assembles; I may not; however, if they can beat the ITT prices, I'll let everyone know. Intil then, the best prices appear to be on the open source wiki.

fotajoye, what about a "group buy" of 10-20 dostars? if they are under $100 each, add in the shipping, we should be able to get them in the $125 range.. The issue might be getting 10-20 interested buyers...

Back