Options for dog-proofing my new Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pushpak

Because it replaced an ancient wagon, our new Leaf has become the de facto 'dog car'. ('Dogability' was a major reason we chose the Leaf.) Typically, we lower the rear seats to give our (75 lbs) dog a little breathing room. She doesn't clamber over them, staying happily in the cargo area.

I've searched, quite fruitlessly, for something to cover the cargo area and folded rear seats. Rubber would be great. Canvas might work too. Plastic, even. Amazon, Ebay and general searches have yielded little.

The car's new, and it is leased. So we want to keep it minty-fresh as long as possible. Do other Leafers face this situation? How do you keep dog hair out of carpeting, crevices and such?

Pushpak said:
I've searched, quite fruitlessly, for something to cover the cargo area and folded rear seats. Rubber would be great. Canvas might work too. Plastic, even. Amazon, Ebay and general searches have yielded little.
A few years ago I bought some vinyl "fabric" from Joanne Fabrics to make a custom dog hair shield in the back of my Subaru wagon. They had several colors to choose from, sold by the yard.

We carry our American Mastiff, who is now 175 lbs, in the LEAF. It's a leased vehicle.

To protect the upholstery, I got a set of Wet Okole seat covers. They are super heavy-duty. For logistical (doghair) reasons I went with a camouflage pattern :)

She wears a good harness that is clipped into the seat belt latch, to keep her from getting flung in case of a panic stop. We stuff some pillows into the rear seat wells. We leave the rear seatbacks up. There's plenty of room for her. Also I put some painters tape over the piano-black armrest pieces to keep them from getting scratched up.

file.php

Nubo - I'd love to see pictures of the harness and its attach points. Indeed, my wife expressed her concern just the other day about the risk related to a panic stop with the rear seat down.

The seat cover seems like an excellent choice with easily-stained cloth seats. However, we got an SL because we like leather. Covering up the rear seat when it's up seems a shame. Something like the vinyl solution suggested by Bill might work better for when they're down. However, I also intend to see if the dog is ok with the rear seatback up. If it works for your 175 lbs dog surely it should work for a dog half that size...

My 50 lbs dog is quite happy in the trunk of the Leaf. I put people in the 5 front seats (and when that full sometimes cargo on the hitch rack).

My Dog Was Too Nervous At First To Move But Has Gotten Over Her Fear And Wanders All Over The Car So Protecting The Car Or Keeping It Clean Is A Battle. Between The Dog And The Kid, I Am Pretty Sure I WilloOwe Money When The Car Is Turned in

DaveinOlyWA said:
My Dog Was Too Nervous At First To Move But Has Gotten Over Her Fear And Wanders All Over The Car So Protecting The Car Or Keeping It Clean Is A Battle. Between The Dog And The Kid, I Am Pretty Sure I WilloOwe Money When The Car Is Turned in
See if the dealer will accept the dog or the kid instead!

oh
Oh That Will Cost Me A Fortune!
Electric4Me said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
See if the dealer will accept the dog or the kid instead!

Back