Orchestra Bass player? Will this thing fit in a Leaf?!!?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarvGordon

Can't find a local dealer with a demo in stock. The dilema... my fiancee plays bass in community orchestra. It fits in the Prius just fine but we would like to make sure it fits in a Leaf before ordering. If i can get measurements can someone exctract dimensions from their Leaf with the rear seats down?

Much appreciated!

A six foot folding table fits in the Prius, but not in the LEAF. But, the difference is very close. So how much room remains in the Prius after loading the instrument?

In Minnesota about an hour west of Minneapolis ... nobody around with a Leaf :)

I just found out the case is 76 inches long, 19 inches deep. The neck is about 9 inches wide and increases to 28 inches at the bottom of the instrument.

I think the key is knowing how much room the Leaf has from the inside of the closed rear hatch to the back of the front passenger seat. With the back seats down would a length of 76 inches appear to fit? Possibly with the front passenger seat pushed forward? or tilted? How wide is the hatch when open?... I assum much wider than 28 inches....

Thanks for your feedback...

I think it will fit.

lakefork-2010-03-29.jpg

I transport mine in my Leaf. The neck has to come up through the gap between the front seats. I don't use a hard case, though, so the limiting factor would be that 9-inch neck width.

A quick measure on my 2011 shows that there is about eight feet from the inside of the back hatch to the nav. screen. The distance from inside hatch lid to the back of the passenger seat (moved all the way forward) is about 73 inches. I think that the neck of the bass case would fit between the two front seats and not get in the way, but it's definitely going to be noticeable. The gap between the front seats is about a foot at the top and about 8 inches down where the console hatch is.

When carrying extra long items in my Forester, in addition to folding the rear seats down I will push the front passenger seat forward and recline it, and can gain a couple of feet that way. As long as you don't have to carry anyone in the front seat, I'd think you'd be fine, and you may or may not be able to carry a passenger in the left rear seat. Also, it's probably unnecessary to assume that the bass has to be loaded straight in - I often carry my 210 cm (nominally 80") X-C skis loaded corner to corner diagonally (inside left rear to sidewall at rear of right front seat) with just the rear seats down. A bass would be a lot wider so you might not be able to angle it as much.

I actually had an acquaintance once try fitting his upright bass into my Leaf, just for kicks, and it did indeed fit. Neck was wedged between the two front seats.

Thanks to everyone for feedback! I did find a dealer tonight that had an employee with his 2012 on-hand. It does indeed fit. Purchasing a Pearl White SL tomorrow :)

MarvGordon said:
Thanks to everyone for feedback! I did find a dealer tonight that had an employee with his 2012 on-hand. It does indeed fit. Purchasing a Pearl White SL tomorrow :)

Like!!!!

(We really need a Like button on here.)

Great choice and enjoy your new ride. Spread some LEAF love in the north country!

It's moot for this now, but I've transported my large-shouldered bass in my LEAF. Along with a small amp, electric bass, accessory bag, etc. Of course, I usually keep the car in its rear seat down mode (for transporting our dog) and that makes it easier. From doghouse on wheels to doghouse house on wheels! :lol:

Caution:

You may notice a problem if you have a low C extension. Since the Leaf's fundamental frequency is a Bb, approximately 14.5Hz, it may create an interference pattern (beats) with the sympathetic vibration of the C string. It is quite subtle but becomes quite annoying after a while. YMMV.

nnfeif said:
Caution:

You may notice a problem if you have a low C extension. Since the Leaf's fundamental frequency is a Bb, approximately 14.5Hz, it may create an interference pattern (beats) with the sympathetic vibration of the C string. It is quite subtle but becomes quite annoying after a while. YMMV.

I know that this must be annoying, but I found this post hilarious. Warning - your instrument may resonate with your car. :lol: I love the world perspective of the musically inclined (my wife is a music teacher).

On a related note - I've found that at certain RPMs, my Insight resonates with the vibrate alert on my phone. It drives me crazy because it feels like my phone is ringing.

Back