Outrageous quote from my dealer!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Herm said:
LEAFfan said:
Actually, that has changed. The dealers now have a LEAF cap (no pun intended) that they didn't used to have. Nissan changed it toward the end of the first wave.

so now dealers get a standard allocation in addition to the orders they get thru the RFQ system?.. I missed it when they made this change.

Actually this change was made last fall before the first cars were delivered.

Nissan Switches Gears: Allocates Individual Nissan Dealers A Monthly LEAF Allowance

Now that they have opened Tier 2 the number of allocations each dealer gets has gone way down. Boardwalk reported that their new monthly allocations are 10% of what they used to have. All the Tier 2 dealerships (4 or 5) that I have heard from only have a handful of allocations per month, anywhere from 1 - 4 cars.

Ordering 2012 model today

BrendanDolan said:
Sounds about right. Until the plant in Tennessee comes online, they've been spreading the small production capability across the different waves. I'm a Wave 1 dealer, and I used to have allocations that are 10 times what I'm supposed to get this month, as Nissan has to make sure they evenly spread the limited production capability across many states.

Don't be surprised if this negatively impacts dealers abilities to cut discounts too. I need a final confirmation on what my August number is going to be (should update later today), but if it's what I think it is, I'll be back to MSRP also. If I can't sell a volume of cars, I can't do volume pricing.

My bad. I had forgotten about the allocation change. That was awhile ago. Sounds like the LEAF introduction online process/price is winding down.

How much longer until they just end the whole online pre-order process? The whole idea was to prevent price gouging in the first place. If it can't protect the buyer anymore then why have it?

TRONZ said:
If it can't protect the buyer anymore then why have it?

It may be more difficult for dealers to offer discounts, but the buyer is still in control. That dealership asking for $5K over MSRP is going to just sit there with their 1 allocation unfilled month after month after month.

I know that I read or saw a video that Nissan was not going to allocate LEAFS to the dealers. The demain for LEAFS was going to be driven by orders only.

So which is it?!? Web orders or dealer allocations. IMHO, web orders is the only way to keep dealer gouging in check.

Ahh, thanks for that link, apparently the allocation limits are starting to kick in.

http://nissan-leaf.net/2010/10/25/nissan-switches-gears-allocates-individual-nissan-dealers-a-monthly-leaf-allowance/

This will indeed shortcircuit the advantages customers had over dealers in getting good deals, much harder to shop around now. Are buyers getting notices that their dealer reached his allocation limit prior to placing a RFQ?

In a way this is good, it means that there will always be a few Leafs around available at market prices.. and it spreads out available cars over the dealer network. It seems fair.

Herm said:
This will indeed shortcircuit the advantages customers had over dealers in getting good deals, much harder to shop around now. Are buyers getting notices that their dealer reached his allocation limit prior to placing a RFQ?

I don't know about notices, but someone in Raleigh reported that out of the 4 certified Leaf dealers in the immediate area, only one was selectable to RAQ. Seeing as the dealers had an allocation of one or two each for July, I'm assuming the other three dealers had hit their allocation.

TRONZ said:
So which is it?!? Web orders or dealer allocations. IMHO, web orders is the only way to keep dealer gouging in check.

It's both. Dealers still need customers to come to them with an order. There are more allocations given to dealers than there are customers that are allowed to RAQ each month. The allocations just make sure that the orders are more evenly spread across the dealer network.

i will not EVER pay over MSRP. now with that, with demand. i would not expect a deal below that. now, i did pay MSRP for my first 2 Priuses back when they were in very high demand. my 2010 was discounted under a special program and discounted pricing was pretty common on that model.

do not pay the extra money. you are simply giving them permission to continue this practice. if no one pays the extra money, they will stop charging it.

Glad I live in California. Mossy Nissan in San Diego sold me my second (orphan) LEAF last week at MSRP. Awesome service. I even have hard license plates. I can't imagine paying over MSRP.

I found this, and I am not sure that I can put a link!!! But you can google it how much you pay for your leaf

Date Name Seller City State Price Monthly Lease Payment Lease Term Lease Down Pymt Comments
2011-01-01 Anonymous North Bay Nissan Los Angeles California $36,115
2011-03-31 Anonymous Coast Nissan San Luis Obispo California $38,500

SL model, includes quick charge, tax, license, title
2011-04-20 abasile Fontana Nissan Fontana California $37,797

Out the door price for an SL model with the Quick Charge option
2011-04-05 Anonymous Rustom Nissan of Portland Portland Oregon $35,830

SL Trim Base Price - $33,720
Destination Charge - $820
Splash Guards - $140
Organization Package - $225
Protection Package - $225
Quick Charge Port - $700
2011-03-28 Anonymous OC Nissan Irvine California $35,550

Model SL, Included DC Fast Charger $800, Splash guards/Floor Mats ($180), $800 Destination Charge. Doesn't include tax, title, license fees.
2011-02-25 EVNow Rairdon's Seattle Washington $355 36 $2,000

Lease based on Invoice-$100.
2011-03-09 Anonymous Alan Webb Vancouver Washington $34,730 $386 36 $1,999

Leased so I could be more flexible if technology improves significantly in 3 years. No state sales tax in Washington on EV. Very very happy with the Leaf, exceeded all my expectations.
I average 4 miles per kwh, and the price of...
2001-05-20 Anonymous Buyer's Advantage Seattle Washington $32,907

LEAF SL ETEC. Price includes protection package, floor and cargo mats.
2011-04-25 Anonymous McDavid Nissan Houston Texas $36,009

Price includes SL with 700 quick charge port, 170 mats 820 destination charge, and 599 paint and cloth protection.
2011-04-08 Anonymous North Bay Nissan Petaluma California $33,853

Model: SL--Price includes destination ($820) and 3 Options: quick charge port ($700), protection package ($225), floor and trunk mats ($170). Price does not include Tax, Title or License Fees.
2011-04-12 Anonymous Antelope Valley Nissan Palmdale California $39,000

Picked up orphan Nissan at the dealers. Payed 1K over sticker price.
2011-05-20 Anonymous Yonker Nissan Renton Washington $34,395
2011-03-31 Anonymous Pinnacle Nissan Phoenix Arizona $423 48 $1,999

Could not be happier. We leased because I don't know what 4 years will bring. It will either be a hit (which we can then buy it and keep it or buy it and sell it) or it will be a disaster and then it is not my problem.

Thanks to all who wrote in with information. I have found a local dealer that quoted me a price just under MSRP so I went for it. Thanks again.

Somewhat related to this, have any dealers asked for a deposit? (This has nothing to do with the $99.) Mine did. Struck me as odd and likely a tool to encourage me to go through with the purchase, not that I need one. Just wondering if anyone else has been asked or has put down a deposit on an incoming Leaf?

When I got my Leaf from Avondale Nissan, they did everything properly and gave me a $300 off MSRP without being asked. I can recommend them highly.

Back