Panic Button on fob is too sensitive

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeafTalk said:
What's this panic button you speak of? Can you post a picture? :| :?:

All I have on mine is a lock and unlock button:

attachment.php

http://www.leaftalk.co.uk/showthread.php/2034-How-many-Intelligent-Keys-come-with-the-LEAF?p=5214&viewfull=1#post5214
I can't see the pictures (because you have to register), but if there is a Fob without a Panic button, I want to buy one and pair it with my Leaf! If it's smaller, all the better.

Can anyone find a public picture of this mythical beast?

leafygreen said:
LeafTalk said:
What's this panic button you speak of? Can you post a picture?

You can see it on the fob cover website:
http://www.thejacketstore.com/servlet/the-191/Nissan-Intelligent-Key-Cover/Detail
(the speaker with lightning bolts coming out of it :D )

I guess the British never panic?

Erm.. Yeah.

We're all like James Bond. Cool, calm and collected at all times. ;)

GroundLoop said:
I can't see the pictures (because you have to register), but if there is a Fob without a Panic button, I want to buy one and pair it with my Leaf! If it's smaller, all the better.

Can anyone find a public picture of this mythical beast?

Here's the pic. I uploaded it to Imageshak:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/813/nissanfob.jpg/

We don't have our LEAF yet, so I have no idea whether this will work or not - but it may be sufficient. On the other hand, it may make the problem worse.

Cut a section of bicycle inner tube and slip it over the fob. Put dots of different color hobby paint or nail polish on the tube over the buttons, so you'll have a clue where to press.

Also, a service dept with a CONSULT tool can set the Panic button to 1.5 seconds instead of the default 0.5 seconds. This seems like a good idea all around.

I'd still go for one of those "Don't Panic" fobs, though.

GroundLoop said:
Also, a service dept with a CONSULT tool can set the Panic button to 1.5 seconds instead of the default 0.5 seconds.
Any chance this can be disabled entirely with this tool? I have never really understood this "feature". These days people just ignore car alarms so I have a hard time imagining a situation where this panic button would be of any use.

JasonT said:
GroundLoop said:
Also, a service dept with a CONSULT tool can set the Panic button to 1.5 seconds instead of the default 0.5 seconds.
Any chance this can be disabled entirely with this tool? I have never really understood this "feature". These days people just ignore car alarms so I have a hard time imagining a situation where this panic button would be of any use.
YES, you can totally disable the Panic feature via CONSULT. If your dealer is friendly, they shouldn't charge more than a nominal fee for it.

As far as I can tell, the only purpose for PANIC is to wake the neighborhood at 5:00AM when you're too hung over to work your own car keys. Or, as is becoming stupidly common, for finding your own damn car in the parking lot.

If not disabled, the setting to require a 1.5 second press instead of
just the default 0.5 second setting would be very nice.

Perhaps I can have that done when I have the 1st Firmware
(the A/C and SOC Meter) Upgrade done.

Interesting options. Mine has gone off three times accidentally. It's definitely a nuisance I would like to fix. I agree a two button FOB would be a great option.

garygid said:
I bought one of these rubber covers for my LEAF-fob from a local dealer just a few days ago ($5.95 + $0.52 tax)...To keep the buttons from being pushed, cut a strip of thin, somewhat flexible, clear plastic (like that used in "blister" packaging), about as wide as the buttons, round both ends, and slide it in under the rubber cover, over the buttons, from the open "key" end. Leave enough length of the strip sticking out so that you can easily remove the strip whenever necessary.

Depending upon the thickness (stiffness) of the strip, you could still press the buttons (with much more pressure), or not press the buttons at all until the strip is pulled out.
My service adviser comped me one of these, and I just cut up the package it came in for the insert. This is just about perfect. I can still press the buttons, but it takes quite a bit of pressure now. I doubt that I will ever have any more accidental presses.

garygid said:
It should not be difficult too disable the "Panic" button.

I could probably help, if you wanted.

If someone could be persuaded to bring a Nissan CONSULT to one of the Leaf meet-ups, anyone could disable their Panic button nicely, or set it to 1.5s press, which would be great.

Back