Parking LEAF for 1-week While Traveling Out of Town

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IowaShocker

Hello LEAF'ers!

We are leaving town for a week and driving 600 miles away, so we will be forced to use the old gas hog ICE for the trip!

I will be leaving my LEAF for the first time without any new charging in the garage while I am gone.

My question is this....how much charge should I leave on it while I am gone. I have seen many posts say 80% charge is ideal for letting it sit.

Any other advice?

Ideal case seems to be: Charged between 40-60% and unplugged from the EVSE. Reality is that 1 week isn't likely to make much of a difference in any case short of extremes (very high/low temps and/or fully charged or discharged).

Make sure you don't leave the car in ACC mode (or any other mode other than "off") when you leave and you should be fine.

FYI, I just parked my leased 2013 Leaf (~7 months left on the lease) charged at 100% for two weeks. When I came back it said it was at 98% and seems to be working fine.

Scrith said:
FYI, I just parked my leased 2013 Leaf (~7 months left on the lease) charged at 100% for two weeks. When I came back it said it was at 98% and seems to be working fine.

It's not that it will stop working. It's that this will accelerate the degradation of the battery over time. One thing I like about the Thinkpad is that it will switch into a mode for maximum battery health if you constantly keep it plugged in. It will keep the battery charge level down a bit, so that you are not keeping that maximum charge all the time. I almost never run my laptop off of battery power, and I have had batteries die in the past. My understanding is that the Leaf battery works in a similar fashion.

Don't leave any OBDII sensors plugged in or your battery will be dead when you return. Don't ask how I know this. :?

Twofieros said:
Don't leave any OBDII sensors plugged in or your battery will be dead when you return. Don't ask how I know this. :?

+1

I leave my Leaf at office or airport frequently (up to 3 weeks at a time) unplugged at about 60% charge. I came back to a completely dead 12-volt battery after less than a week the one time I forgot to unplug the ELM unit and also left LEAF Spy running on the Android device sitting on the seat.

Gerry

Back