PBW SSOFF relay clicks every 5 seconds

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
The main issue is very likely your 12 volt battery. The 13.6 volt reading is probably just 'surface charge' and it probably sags well below 12 volts under load.
Thanks, a new 12V is my next move, but not until the 118F heat subsides. I also tried it with the jumper battery attached, but of course everything has to go through the old battery. Anyway, I’ve never been able to get more than 6-7 years out of a PbA here in eastern WA, so 10 years on this one (with weekly trickle chargers) is pretty darn good in my book. Of course, these darn failures always happen during extreme weather. My last PbA battery failed at 10F back in the 1990s (before EV).

Yes indeed 10 years is remarkable, you obviously know the right approach to extending the life of a lead acid battery. High temperatures are rough on batteries.

Ok, just to circle back on my dead 2011 Leaf issue from above, all is well. Finally cooled down outside enough for me to get a new PbA, new fob batteries, LeafSpy Pro, and a new OBII (iOS-compatible). I had an old $20 android phone and OBII with the free LeafSpy from back in 2013 or so, but I wanted to get everything running on an iPhone. Anyway, long story, but was able to finally get the codes cleared, and the car back in the garage, charging. One persistent code was for the brakes, which I discovered was related to low brake fluid (nothing was visible in the upper reservoir). So, my WAG analysis is that the old 10 y PbA became stressed by the +115F heat, and the low brake fluid because the pads are wearing more due to the abysmal regenerative braking (2011 Leaf with original 8-bar battery). It’s possible that the low fluid caused the brake lights to be on (this happened to me in my 1972 Dodge), but I doubt it (LED taillights can’t use much). The clicking relay is a mystery, but again guessing, maybe the low PbA voltage was such that the relay wouldn’t activate properly (maybe they need enough voltage or to stay open or closed). Anyway, after being disconnected from the PbA for several days, the relays seem to reset.

tl;dr. All is good. 65,000 mi and still running. The only maintenance has been PbA, brake fluid, 3x wipers, wiper fluid, 2x tires (new set put on last fall). Love that LeafSpy. Thanks Turbo!

Back