[PHASED-OUT]: Tracking the $5k California CVRP Fund

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
EricH said:
I don't know if 2 weeks is a record for CVRP, but I picked up my car March 26 (Saturday), applied online over the weekend, got the email approval on the 28th (Monday) and sent the documentation in with the email Tuesday.
The check arrived in today's (Monday's) mail, so nine business days includes round-trip mail (my docs and their check).

If only we could convince the DMV to adopt CCSE's processes, we would all have our HOV and EV stickers too!
They send out the checks in batches. I picked up the car on 3/31 and I received the check today!

Got mine today as well. Big props to the folks at the CCSE for their organized and efficient operation. As has been said many times before, you folks could teach a few other agencies a thing or two.

March 30 LEAF delivery, sent my documents by certified mail on April 2. The check came today, April 11, so 9 days from post office to mailbox. Pretty slick.

I've been tracking the statistics on the CCSE site and I see that they do send out the payments in batches, so EricH and I got lucky with the timing. Everyone shouldn't expect this fast of a turnaround, especially as relatively large numbers of LEAFs are delivered at once.

Just got mine as well - dropped if off last Monday so exactly a 1 week turnaround. Kyle, CCSE - you guys all rock! What a smooth, effortless process.

Can you please run the DMV for us, too? :)

mwalsh said:
I got a letter from CARB yesterday, once again pointing out my obligations under the program (keeping the car registered in CA for 3 years, etc...).

me too! No worries, CARB. I'm not letting this baby go for awhile!

sdbonez said:
Just got mine as well - dropped if off last Monday so exactly a 1 week turnaround. Kyle, CCSE - you guys all rock! What a smooth, effortless process.

Can you please run the DMV for us, too? :)

Haha, the DMV is really bad, I only wish they were half as efficient and informative as the Center for Sustainable Energy or the San Joaquin Valley Air Polution Control District. My check just arrived from the former and I just sent out the final paperwork for the latter (a bit more complex, but a well communicated process).

hill said:
I called the good folks from sustainable energy down in S.D. and they said the check's in the mail. Woo hoo!

Does CVRP Remaining Funds $ 5,400,929 as of 04/16/11 includes $2M additional fund? If not, is there any new information, when $2M, will be added?

Azat said:
hill said:
I called the good folks from sustainable energy down in S.D. and they said the check's in the mail. Woo hoo!

Does CVRP Remaining Funds $ 5,400,929 as of 04/16/11 includes $2M additional fund? If not, is there any new information, when $2M, will be added?

No, the additional $2mil has not yet been added. Read backwards in this thread to read the latest information from poster Center for Energy.

Center4Energy said:
Does the statement (above) mean that if people are wait-listed from 2011, their rebate amount would be determined by the the "new" amount governed by the IM of the year actually issued?

That is the case. So if you are wait-listed, and the amount of the rebate decreases, you would receive the new, lower rebate amount.

If you or anyone else has questions or would like to submit comments, feel free to email David or myself and we will gladly forward them to ARB.

Don't know if this suggestion has already been made, but there are a lot of lot of future LEAF buyers waiting and very worried about the availability of the $5k rebate. While we know that we will be put in line for a rebate if the pool runs out, the uncertainty of the future amout of the rebate creates a problem. I personally was dependent on this rebate financially, and I expect many others are as well.

So my suggestion is to make the rebate value depend on the model year. In this case, all the 2011 LEAF buyers would be secure in knowing that they will get the $5k rebate and can plan accordingly. For the 2012 LEAF's, you could reduce the amount to whatever (say $2500 because you expect twice as many to be sold in that model year). Those buyers would then have the information they need to make their financial decision on buying a LEAF or not. Then the only uncertainty is when funds will be available and when you would recieve the rebate.

I'm wondering if we can get an official update as to when the next 2 million will be added. I know the funds are "guaranteed", but as the fund drops I sure am anxious to see exactly how much is left. My DB says June and so I know I'm cutting it close!

planet4ever said:
Long4Leaf said:
So my suggestion is to make the rebate value depend on the model year.
Since their funds come through CARB I think they are constrained by CARB rulemaking, which is driven by the California fiscal year (July through June).

Ray
CARB rule could still be based on make/model/year. 2011 LEAF = $5k, 2012 LEAF = $2500 (or whatever), 2011 Tesla roadster = $$, 2012 Tesla roadster = $. I suppose it still does not prevent these values changing from year to year, but as a policy, they should be able to keep them unchanged.

I am curious if the current funding rolls into July if it will continue at 5k or will this existing money roll into next year's rules and probable reduction in amount per car.

Thanks for keeping this up LEAFer :)

Someone seemed to have posted Nissan was processing 100 per day for the no start issue but it looks more like 100 per week max.

My tracking shows approximately 460 LEAF rebates applied for or refunded in CA since LEAF deliveries began (also includes Tesla Roadsters, but unlikely other full $5k rebate cars since Honda Clarity Hydrogen cars have not been newly delivered for a couple of years now). Funds, excluding the $2 million that are yet to be added to the 2011 allotment, remain for about 935 rebates, or about double the number of cars already delivered in CA. Add in the $2 million and that number becomes 1335 additional rebates available and funded. I don't know, but others might, whether all of those will be fully funded at $5k. Of course, as other full fledged EVs come on the market, most of them will also be eligible for rebates, but the earliest we'll see any of them is late this year. Also note that neighborhood EVs and electric motorcycles are funded out of the same fund, but at lower rebate amounts and likely in much lower numbers.

Also, just a note of interest and perspective, we just reached the level of refunds equaling the 2010 funding total, so you could say we just used up the 2010 fund. It's pretty encouraging to me to know that we are just starting into the 2011 funds here at the end of April. Of course, a lot of that is because of the delays in shipping LEAFs.

Another note for those who come more recently to the discussion, and the CCSE folks monitoring this thread might want to comment. The CVRP program is intended to run through 2015, I believe. It's common on this forum for people to say "I'm only buying (or leasing) my LEAF if I get the CA rebate". Do realize that the program is intended to continue through 2015 and there will be wait listing for later funding in order of delivery of the cars if funds run out. Funding is approved each year from CARB funds and requires the state budget to be approved before funds flow to the CVRP, but don't be mislead into thinking that once the current funds are gone, that you're definitely not getting a rebate. Of course, being on a wait list is not the same as being assured of getting a rebate, and you may well need to know that you have a reserved rebate before committing to buy or lease a LEAF. California state budgets being what they are, you can be your own judge as to whether funding will be diverted to other needs. But my understanding is that CARB funds are identified for established CARB goals and it is not a simple matter to divert those funds to other uses.

Happy electric motoring!

Just as a clarification of Boomer's very helpful summary, the "year" he refers to is not a calendar year, but a California State fiscal year, which begins on July 1. Officially the current fiscal year, which he refers to as 2011, is 2010-2011. So it was the 2009-2010 CVRP allotment which was not spent during that fiscal year (because there were very few EVs before July 2010) and so was rolled over into FY 2010-2011. That was fortunate because the Legislature didn't manage to pass a budget last year until more than 3 months after the budget was supposed to take effect. As Boomer said, without a budget, CARB couldn't give CVRP their allotment.

This year, because of the LEAF rollout, most people think the money carried over plus the money allotted for FY 2010-2011 will be spent or committed before FY end on June 30. There will be more money added to the pool, nominally on July 1 but perhaps not actually until considerably later than that. (See previous paragraph.) The chance that the legislature will pass a budget on time is better this year because of Prop 25 that we passed last November, but it's not a slam dunk.

And don't forget that in the interest of fairness ... are those catcalls I hear? No, really, it is more fair, even if we get less ... as I was saying, in the interest of fairness, the $5K/vehicle is likely to be reduced next FY so the money can be spread to more people. If you have to wait for FY 1011-1012 funds then I am sure you will be paid the new rates no matter when you qualified.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back