Picture of Internal Layout

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trentr said:
EVDRIVER said:
please name several cars with FWD that have LSD and under 200 HP as a standard feature.

Hmm, I can name one car that falls under this criteria. The Acura Integra Type R. FWD, LSD and 195HP. I have one in the garage, but the Leaf might replace it in December.

Yes, type R and by 6 hp. I ad the non r and of course you need to rev the heck out of it to get the power which is why ten LSD is helpful.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Where are you guys seeing this "water cooling"? I don't see any hoses or a radiator.

All the parts are not shown of course. The motor/inverter and perhaps even charger must be water cooled on a vehicle this size. You can see the coolant tube connections. It will have a radiator. Just like the Aptera:)

EVDRIVER said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
Where are you guys seeing this "water cooling"? I don't see any hoses or a radiator.

All the parts are not shown of course. The motor/inverter and perhaps even charger must be water cooled on a vehicle this size. You can see the coolant tube connections. It will have a radiator. Just like the Aptera:)

OK thanks for clearing that up. So brake and washer aren't the only two fluids :-(

The heat they produce isn't consistent enough to provide cabin heat via a heater core?

LTLFTcomposite said:
EVDRIVER said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

OK thanks for clearing that up. So brake and washer aren't the only two fluids :-(

The heat they produce isn't consistent enough to provide cabin heat via a heater core?

It's not a matter of consistent but rather not significant enough as a benefit otherwise the motor would wasting much power in heat. Some chargers are air cooled but in factory evs water cooling eliminates another fan and allows for tighter packaging in places without airflow. The think ev had one cooling system for everything including cooling jackets in every battery module!

If there are "many" cars without LSD, how do they drive on ice ... it must be that the ABS systems are compensating to brake the "spinning" wheel, thus allowing equal torque to go to the non-moving wheel. Right?

If so, with a good wheel-specific ABS to apply braking to the faster wheel(s), the LSD became unnecessary (an thus almost obsolete)?

So, how do cars without a Limited Slip Differential get power to the non-spinning drive wheel when the other drive wheel is on ice, in a hole, off the ground, etc.?

Please?

garygid said:
So, how do cars without a Limited Slip Differential get power to the non-spinning drive wheel when the other drive wheel is on ice, in a hole, off the ground, etc.? Please?

In my previous Mercedes steamroller (ML430), it was done by automatically braking the slipping wheel, allowing the opposite wheel to exert torque against the ground. Not very good for serious four-wheeling but works fine in ordinary rain, snow, etc.

It's practically free to implement once you have put in stability control, which also selectively brakes a wheel to pull the car back on line, and antilock brakes, which need the wheel rotation sensors.

Back