Places to charge in San Francisco

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbrigham

Does anyone know a good resource for finding Level II chargers that work with the Leaf in the San Francisco Bay Area? I discovered that there is a functioning Level II charger I can use at the Hilton in downtown San Francisco (750 Kearny). They put it in 6 months ago but it is not on the charger maps I have seen.

Tom

tbrigham said:
Does anyone know a good resource for finding Level II chargers that work with the Leaf in the San Francisco Bay Area? I discovered that there is a functioning Level II charger I can use at the Hilton in downtown San Francisco (750 Kearny). They put it in 6 months ago but it is not on the charger maps I have seen.

Tom

Both Electric.carstations.com and my EV Charger Finder on iPhone have the Financial district Hilton location, but we don't have any confirmed users yet.

There are several chargepoints in SF that I don't have up yet but carstations does (I will get on that).

But you are right. In general, not too many listed yet overall in Bay Area. If you find new ones make sure you post them on forums like this or direct on Carstations. They make it pretty easy to add new stations.

Great - thanks - I know some people that have used it - it is free if one pays for parking there - how does it work with confirmed users? I can put them in touch if you like.

Regards,

Tom

tbrigham said:
Great - thanks - I know some people that have used it - it is free if one pays for parking there - how does it work with confirmed users? I can put them in touch if you like.

Regards,

Tom

All EV drivers like up to date visit reports. That gives you good data on if it is up right now. We have this through EVChargerMaps and my iPhone app for older locations. Still working on the latest for user feedback. But Carstations has a place to write a report.

If you visit that location SF Hilton location, just log a report here. http://electric.carstations.com/2029

gasmiser1 said:
haroldMiller4mayor said:
Take your car to city hall in San Francisco and you can plug it up there
--------------------------------------------------------

Not a chance, since SF City cars are always parked there :evil:

Some are for city only and some are reserved for car share, none are public and it is a permit area. Thanks for making SF EV friendly Gavin with virtually no change in the last ten years but much hype.

EVDRIVER said:
gasmiser1 said:
haroldMiller4mayor said:
Take your car to city hall in San Francisco and you can plug it up there
--------------------------------------------------------

Not a chance, since SF City cars are always parked there :evil:

Some are for city only and some are reserved for car share, none are public and it is a permit area. Thanks for making SF EV friendly Gavin with virtually no change in the last ten years but much hype.
---------------------------------------------------------
In the public parking garage under SF City Hall Park are several "AVCON" EVSE charging docks on level 2 and a RAV4 EV dock. The RAV4 EV dock gets used occasionally, but the "AVCON" docks sit there unused with ICE cars parking there now. These need to be converted to J1772's :mrgreen:

tbrigham said:

Tom
Also try http://www.mychargepoint.net/find-stations.php for LEAF compatible sites. You will need a ChargePass card to activate the chargers, and not all are free. This site shows if these chargers are available, or in use.

My wife and I go to the Performing Arts Garage in the 300 block of Grove St a lot. They still have the old style inductive chargers there. I emailed the manager and asked them to convert. Won't be taking the LEAF up to SF (55 miles one way) until they have more charging stations.

gascant said:
My wife and I go to the Performing Arts Garage in the 300 block of Grove St a lot. They still have the old style inductive chargers there. I emailed the manager and asked them to convert. Won't be taking the LEAF up to SF (55 miles one way) until they have more charging stations.
There's a few RAV4 EVs that regularly use the old inductive chargers. Some chargers should be switched to J1772, but one or two inductives shuld be left at sites where they are still used. Performing Arts Garage EV Charger

The Avcon chargers get little or no use and are good for J1772 conversion, though some people (probably a few Tesla drivers) use them with adapter boxes, switching them to J1772 and using J1772 based adapters for those people still using the Avcon is the way to go. It's also getting close to the time with number of plugins to consider another EV spot or two at popular destinations with all the LEAFs, Volts, Ford Focus EV, Plug In Prius, etc that are coming.

ElectricVehicle said:
gascant said:
There's a few RAV4 EVs that regularly use the old inductive chargers. Some chargers should be switched to J1772, but one or two inductives shuld be left at sites where they are still used. Performing Arts Garage EV Charger
I received the following yesterday:
Hello Howard,

We are currently reviewing updating our chargers at the facility and will take at least two months to finish.

Thanks
Damien Mitchell
Impark Manager
415-740-4200

Didn't expect that to happen so fast! Also wasn't sure how many EV RAV's would be around, much less want to park in the Performing Arts Garage. Happy to share--and you're right, they should put in more than just 2 spaces/stations.

gascant said:
Didn't expect that to happen so fast! Also wasn't sure how many EV RAV's would be around, much less want to park in the Performing Arts Garage. Happy to share--and you're right, they should put in more than just 2 spaces/stations.
Existing EVs, like the RAV4 EV that have been on the roads for the last 10 years and the new of EVs - LEAFs, Volts, Ford Focus EVs, Plug In Prius, Tesla when they finally J1772, all need to work together to get the new charging infrasturcture out and preserve a few SPIs for a few years until the RAV4 EVs go to the Electric Vehicle hunting grounds in the sky.

There's a lot of work in coordinating and financing charging stations so experienced EV drivers and new drivers can work together to make this happen. Though that can sometimes be difficult as some of us are both! I'm still driving my RAV4 EV and will be keeping it, but I can't wait to complement with the new experience of the LEAF and enough J1772 vehicles on the road to promote the deployment of convenient public EV charging that we can use everyday. You'll likely see me arguning with myself! :eek:

Old Ford RangerEV using a J1772 to Avcon adapter:
attachment.php

greenleaf said:
Any chargers at the airport?
Yes! http://www.flysfo.com/web/page/orphan/plug-in_electric_car_parking/index.html
SFO now offers electric plug-in vehicle preferred parking in all of our public garages. Best of all, there’s no charge for the charge! Plug-in vehicle parking stalls are available on a first come, first served basis. Each stall is located at a close-in parking location and includes a 110 V standard outlet. NOTE: You must supply your own connection cable.

All electric vehicle plug-in parking stalls are marked, “Green Vehicle Parking.”

Plug-in Electric Vehicle Parking Stall Locations:

International Terminal Garage A
Two stalls on Level 2 (near Terminal walkway)

International Terminal Garage G
Two stalls on Level 3 (near Terminal walkway)

Long-Term Parking Garage
Four stalls located on Level 2 (near the elevator)

Domestic Garage
12 stalls located on Level 1 (there are two stalls in each section of the garage located adjacent to the elevator lobbies)
Mind you it's 120V and you have to bring your own cord, but for all but the shortest trips, you'll still come back to a full charge!! 120V charging is very useful for things like this, or staying overnight at a bed and breakfast. You can use it places where they haven't installed charging if you ask and they have an outlet on a circuit that can be largely dedicated to charging your ev for the night. Time to visit Half Moon Bay!

Has anyone tried charging at the San Francisco Airport? I have a 4 day trip coming up, but there is no way that I can make it from home to the airport and back without charging. Anyone have a feel for whether or not I would be able to get a parking spot near one of the outlets? Would you feel secure leaving the charging cable connected? I'm a little concerned about someone swiping my cable.

Thanks,

Dave

OhmPah said:
Has anyone tried charging at the San Francisco Airport? I have a 4 day trip coming up, but there is no way that I can make it from home to the airport and back without charging. Anyone have a feel for whether or not I would be able to get a parking spot near one of the outlets? Would you feel secure leaving the charging cable connected? I'm a little concerned about someone swiping my cable.
See this thread: I don't need no stinking high voltage
where I posted a rough diagram and some comments.

With ten spaces all marked clearly as EV only I think your chances are good. Besides, I'd rate them as "very undesirable prime spots", since half the people going to or from the nearest elevators will be walking right next to your car. Whatever you do, back in, and be sure to lock the nozzle onto your car. (i.e. get a little padlock that will lock the trigger on the nozzle.)

I'm not sure what you can do about the EVSE end, because that is one fat pillar holding up the whole parking structure. You might be able to wrap a chain all the way around it and then lock that to one of the holes in the EVSE brick.

Ray

Back